You Will Suffer

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Feb 2019

Creepy story that had me guessing until almost the end. Small town dark mysteries always give me the willies, but the suspense in Ivy's story is exceptional, and you'll find it difficult to put down!
I have always enjoyed Alexandra Ivy's books and this one was no exception. Great plot and interesting characters.
YOU WILL SUFFER is an exciting and engaging read. The suspense is eerie and methodical and the storyline is full of dangerous intrigue. The plot had me gripped tight and I couldn't stop reading until I unraveled the mystery! I didn't think Nate and Ellie had great chemistry but they were essential characters to the plot. I would have liked a little more heat in their relationship. Overall, this was a very enjoyable reading experience. I think Ms. Ivy has found her knack in the romantic suspense genre and I look forward to future projects!
I don't usually like thriller books, but Alexandra Ivy has created a series that I just cannot get enough. This third book in the series may be the best so far. She does a wonderful job of balancing the terror, the mystery, and romance in this novel. I found myself rooting for the main couple to get together along with rooting for them to solve the mystery. I was very invested in by the ending.
This was a good old fashioned romantic suspense whodunnit and I have to admit it’s been a while since I have read one and had forgotten how enjoyable a good one could be. The  H and h were a nice pair to read about but what really hocked me was the suspense, I had no clue till the end whodunnit.
Alexandra Ivy wrote a creepy suspense filled thriller that is really light on romance. If that's ok with you, then read You Will Suffer.  The writing style reminded me of Kendra Elliott's books...dark, strong characters, a little romance, but romance isn't the main feature. The main feature is the murder that Ellie's neighbor, Nate (and romantic lead), is accused of.

Read this book when you have plenty of time to enjoy it. This is one of those books that is going to keep you riveted, and you won't want to set it aside to make supper or grocery shop or whatever may interrupt your reading time.
I really enjoyed You Will Suffer by Alexandra Ivy. This book is very well written with a unique and interesting story.
The Agency Book 3  – Another great book in this series involving a strong young women in a small town finding her way when things start happening . But she’s not alone when former FBI agent Nate steps in to help. To help her find out what’s happening in town and draw the two closer together. As always this author weaves a great book with amazing characters and suspense. If you love romantic suspense dont miss this one. Lisa
This is the only the second time I've read a novel by Alexandra Ivy, and it's the third book in her The Agency series, and the first novel in the series I've read, but it worked just fine as a standalone, and I never felt that I missed any connections to the previous novels. While I was expecting a novel of romantic suspense, this came closer to the mystery/suspense genre than it did to a romance novel, although there is an attraction between the hero, Nate, a retired FBI agent, and his neighbor, Ellie, who is returning to her home town of Curry, Oklahoma, to set up her law practice rather than accepting a posh position at a big name lawn firm her status-seeking father, now a judge, would have preferred she accept. I liked the set-up, I liked Nate and Ellie and the attraction and tension between them , and I liked the whodunit, which certainly kept me guessing until the end, which is why this novel gets a solid 4 star rating from this reader.

The first glimpse of trouble we see is when Ellie is getting into her car to go to work one morning and notices that she has a flat tire, then she notices a second flat. Her neighbor, handsome hunk, Nate, sees her dilemma in passing and stops to offer his assistance. Ellie is very much an "I can do it myself" type of gal, but when Nate points out that all 4 of her tires are flat, and that they've been deliberately slashed, the mystery begins, and it doesn't stop at mere vandalism. Next, Nate finds a pile of dead and mutilated rats on the patio behind Ellie's law office, and soon it's not just dead rats that are piling up, it's human bodies being dumped in an empty field, and the inept and lazy local sheriff, Gary Clark, is quick to decide that these aren't murders, just unfortunate drug overdoses from a bad batch of heroin. Nate and Ellie aren't buying it, and while Nate and Ellie try to get to the bottom of who's suddenly committing arson and killing the residents of Curry and why, and what a twisted tale of old town secrets, scandal, the good ole boys network, blackmail and corruption Ms. Ivy has created for her main characters to solve.

When yet another dead body is found inside a building Nate just bought to house his homemade furniture business, Sheriff Clark thinks he's got his killer--Nate, and Ellie appoints herself as his lawyer, knowing that there is no way Nate could have or would have committed these crimes. But if not Nate, then who? And even more important, why? And why does Ellie's snob of a father suddenly show up unannounced and trying to get her to move back to Oklahoma City, when their relationship has always been strained at best? What's the common denominator behind all these deaths and destruction? Good luck trying to guess, because this mystery definitely had me stumped.

All I will say is that this is one addictive, page-turner of a novel, with a harrowing and surprising denouement, and not only was the mystery riveting, so too was the slowly forming bond between Nate and Ellie. While I would have preferred a little more romance in this story, this was, nevertheless, one very good read and I'm happy to recommend it.

I voluntarily read an advance reader copy of this novel. The opinions expressed are my own.
The Agency #3, Each book in this series is a stand alone. More suspense than romance but both equally balanced throughout the story. A story of a small town lawyer, Ellie Guthrie, and former FBI agent, Nate Marcel, working together to unravel the dirty secrets of their town Curry, Oklahoma. Ellie went against her parents wishes and settled in the small town she spent part of her childhood in; Nate after leaving the FBI got in his truck and just started to drive he ended up in Curry started ranching and woodwork. Nate was already living in Curry when Ellie moved back to her old home; Ellie was attracted to Nate from the get go but something about him told her he was an all or nothing kind of guy, and not wanting to settle down with anything other than work she tried her best to ignore her sexy neighbor. That is until weird stuff started to happen.

It started with a weird feeling and then slashed tires and escalated to dead animals outside her work. She wasn't the only target another woman in town, Mandy, was the victim of what seemed like normal vandalizm. But the first dead body shows up a supposed drug overdose and then Mandy ends up the same way not even a full day later. Ellie and Nate both know something else is happening but the local sheriff is lazy and easily accepts that it's a drug overdose. Things start to go sideways when the dead body of a known dealer is found in a building that Nate just bought. Now the narrow minded sheriff thinks Nate is behind it all. Good thing Nate has a good lawyer. Despite it all it doesn't slow Ellie down trying to figure out what's happening and why she's being targeted along with her father and other prominent figures in town.

Overall, it was a really good read. I loved the ending it was a nice twist. The suspense kept me guessing the whole way the pacing was good it had a nice flow one event to another with enough down time for Nate and Ellie to fallin love. I liked Nate and Ellie together. I love it when the guy is already halfway in love with the woman and she just needs to be shown how much and that it's okay to fall in love back. For Ellie the attraction and the feelings are there she just never had a good example of a happy couple and Nate is fully prepared to show her what one looks like and his entire family embraces her into their fold.
With a plot that makes you doubt your understanding of what is happening within the pages, this book encased romance with sinister intrigue and suspense. The characters are amazing, charismatic and realistic. The background setting is stunningly believable. Well written and thoroughly credible, this romantic suspense is guaranteed to blow you away.

Easily worth double the five out of five stars I've given.
Excellent suspense/thriller with a decent romance. I will say that the suspense elements dominated this book and I very much enjoyed that aspect. I really liked both Ellie and Nate and although the romance was not as strong as the suspense it was still very enjoyable. Ellie was a strong female but never crossed over into TSTL decisions and was willing to accept help when needed. Nate was also a great character and I loved the way he accepted Ellie for who she was.

There were definitely some surprising reveals at the end and the suspense/thriller part kept me turning the pages as quickly as I could. Overall a definite recommend for those who like intriguing suspense/thriller books with a side of romance.
The third book in The Agency series, You Will Suffer is a well written romantic thriller.  Ellie a local attorney and Nate retired FBI agent are well suited characters to take on an investigate into a spate of disappearances and murder. Deception, lies, betrayal and power, You Will Suffer had me engaged throughout and I highly recommend you pick up this amazing romantic suspense.
This chilling romantic suspense keeps readers guessing throughout with lots of suspenseful events, surprising twists and disturbing secrets. Ellie and Nate are strong, captivating characters that easily draw the readers into their story and their romance is one that adds to the suspense of the story. Ellie and Nate certainly have that magnetic attraction and sizzling chemistry going on but Ellie fights it to the very end which adds lots of relationship ups and downs to the story. Their characters also complement each other really making the story center around them as the events unfold which makes it easy for readers to become engrossed.

The story takes a place at suspense building pace that ensures that readers don’t want to put the book down until every last detail has been uncovered. With Nate and Ellie discovers pieces to the puzzle in true crime solving fashion which has readers trying to work out the ‘who, what where and why’ answers right along with the characters. The author gives vivid details and builds the suspense so thoroughly that readers can’t help but be shocked and surprised when the true culprit is revealed.
I can always count on Ms. Ivy to deliver me some good, old romantic suspense.

Ellie Guthrie has moved back to Curry, Oklahoma the place she was born to open up her own law company. She is content but everyone is glad that she is there. Ellie is prickly which I like in my heroines but we didn’t get off to a good start, but she did grow on me.

Nate Marcel retired from the FBI he was too tired of living life dangerously and wanted a different pace and he got that in Curry. But his former skills are going to be put to use soon enough. I liked Nate a lot and he balanced out my slight dislike for Ellie at the beginning.

The writing is good, and the pace matched the tone of the book and there was some angst and suspense. I had an inkling of who it could be, and I was right to some extent. I can only recommend this book as it is a good and solid read.
You Will Suffer by Alexandra Ivy is book Three in The Agency.  This is the story of Ellie Guthrie and Nate Marcel.  I haven't yet read the previous books, so for me this was a standalone book.
Ellie is opening up her own Law Firm and working to make roots but something else is going on in this town.  Nate is a retired FBI agent who steps forward to help protect Ellie and work to find out what is going on.  Although Ellie and Nate are working towards their growing feelings, this book is surrounded by suspense and mystery.  Really enjoyed this book and Ms. Ivy's writing.
YOU WILL SUFFER is a well written, very twisted (and with this I also mean in the minds of the original "bad guys") story with amazing characters that you will either love, dislike or downright hate. This is the third of Ms. Ivy's "The Agency" series and I hope she plans for many more.

Annetta Sweetko, reviewer for Fresh Fiction

Complete review may be found at: http://freshfiction.com/review.php?id=67727
It's been quite some time since I read this author and I'm so glad I discovered this book. This town had secrets from over two decades ago. The author slowly wove this tale keeping the reader guessing all the way. Just when I had an inkling...well I didn't see THAT coming! In the background putting in some light away from the darkness of death is the romance between the two main characters.
I loved the plot and the characters, brilliantly written. I highly recommend this story.
Small town life -- alcoholics, druggies, vandals, stalkers and -- killer?

After Ellie Guthrie graduated from law school, she relocated to her birthplace in Curry, Oklahoma, to set up a practice there. She's only recently moved and, in fact has still not even fully unpacked, when the trouble begins. She and her neighbor, former FBI agent Nate Marcel, are taken aback by all the recent deaths and begin their own investigation, along with a steamy romance.

Make no mistake, this is a mystery that is almost completely overshadowed by the love story. If I'd known that the sappy romance was such a huge part of the novel, I'd never have requested this title. The revenge plot is fairly thin and there's a lot of bloodshed over something that was revealed so late and thus everything that happened seemed like overkill. I've not read any other books by this author, but will probably avoid now that I see that the synopsis was a bit misleading. I read this in a couple of hours. I didn't care for any of the characters and never really got fully invested in the story line as it required me to buy into the fact that the people who lived in Curry were all pretty much dumb hicks and only Ellie and Nate were smart enough to figure it all out.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Publishing Corporation for the e-book ARC to read and review.
Ellie Guthrie returned to Curry, Oklahoma  and established a career as a defense attorney.  Smart and sexy Ellie is attracted to Nate Marcel who is a former FBI agent.  While she fights the attraction early on Nate determined early on that Ellie is the woman for him.  As for the mystery, the plot was not what I thought it would be..  I would consider this a good book.

I received this book courtesy of Net Galley and the opinion is my own