Cover Image: Descendant of the Crane

Descendant of the Crane

Descendant of the Crane is as fascinating as the cover. A fantasy set in a fictional Asian world with a complex plot and characters that captivate with their flaws and their strengths.

The world-building has both a historical and modern perspective with complicated political contrivances. The relationships among the characters are particularly interesting with secrets and agendas that are not always shared.

When Princess Hesina's father dies, she is elevated from princess to queen of a large kingdom with plenty of problems. Hesina also has questions about her father's death. She is certain he was murdered, but by whom?

In desperation, Hesina visits a soothsayer, a treasonous act, but one that may give her the means of having her father's death investigated.

I thoroughly enjoyed Descendant of the Crane and found the characters complex and sometimes surprising and the writing vivid, weaving the threads of family, tradition, myth, and politics a little at a time so that the reader sees the intricate pattern gradually.

Listed as YA, the book is certainly appropriate for that age group, but as with all good stories Descendant of the Crane appeals to anyone who wants a well-written tale about intriguing characters in perplexing situations. Hesina's determination will reveal truths she doesn't like, and she is forced to take side-steps and to make concessions, but nothing will prevent her in her ultimate goal.

Read in December, blog review scheduled for March 12, 2019.

NetGalley/Albert Whitman & Co
Fantasy/YA. April 2, 2019. Print length: 400 pages.
Descendant of the Crane is one of my favourite books of 2018.! It was so riveting that even when I had to put it down I couldn't stop thinking about it, and was eager to dive back in.

It featured everything I love about fantasy - complex characters, rich world-building, and surprising plot twists. He painted a vivid picture of the world, so much so that I felt fully immersed in the story. It was so easy to root for Hesina the main character, in fact all the characters were interesting and layered. The writing style was also beautiful and it flowed really well.

Overall, a very addictive read!