The Liar in the Library

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Jun 2019

This cute cozy mystery was just ok for me. There were several suspects hence a slight amount of mystery but no real twists. Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
For some reason I just couldn’t get into it, I started skimming words to read faster but sadly it just didn’t gripped me.
Think this could be one I go back to as it sounded so good and right up my street.
This was an okay read, I perhaps should have read some of the others in the series. It was less about libraries and more about a murder in the community of Fethering, and getting together at the pub to solve said murder.
I was interested in reading this book after seeing the author Simon Brett do a reading and talk about his writing at Harrogate crime writing festival in England.   I enjoyed the tale.

The story focuses on Jude, a woman who lives alone on the south coast of England who attends an author talk (Al Sinclair) in her local library. The author, Al, is the ex husband of her old friend and they meet after the talk to catch up, where he tries to make romantic advances, she refuses him and the next day he is found dead.

The novel plot focuses on the police investigation into the murder, as well as Jude's own attempts to find out who murdered Al Sinclair. The story was interesting, but the reason I gave it three starts is due to the repetition I experienced in the story. At one point Jude's neighbour talks to the librarian Di about whether she saw anything on the night of the murder, Di rants and raves about how her library is underfunded, under used and under staffed and a few days later in the narrative makes nearly the same speech to Jude, which felt frustrating as a reader. I also didn't find the murderer to be believable, especially the motive and felt the sub plot about the Polish uncle didn't add anything to the story.

A nice gentle read.
The story unfoldes on a winter evening author's night at the local library. The author is killed and a local woman is suspect Ed of his murder. As the plot unfurls, many are included . The golden oldies of mystery stories plays a role in the solution. I haven't read Brett in a long time and found this to be a good read,
The Liar in the Library is a simple cozy with no huge complications or plot twists. Actually, it feels like the author didn't expend much energy on the book.. Still, the book is okay for an afternoon's light reading, with well-known characters that are fun.
This was an intriguing read, There were enough red herrings to keep the reader guessing.The characters are entertaining and interesting enough to keep you coming back.
Thank you Netgalley for sending me a copy of this book.

I loved the look of this book, it looked so interesting and different to what I would normally read. I hadnt heard of this book nor the author so it had me intrigued which is why I requested it.

I am sad to say that I was disappointed by this book. I didn't realise that it was the 18th in the series, I didn't even know it was part of a series? So I suppose that this didn't help. However I just couldn't engage in the plot and with the characters.  I do feel like I missed some kind of backstory that I would have got had I have read the other books.

Some of the characters I was slightly intrigued by however I did feel that they were underdeveloped. I felt like something was missing and that certain characteristics were not developed or were definitely missed. There are humorous parts in this book which I did enjoy, I feel like there would have been more to this if I had read the others so I am at a loss.

I can't say whether I would recommend this book because I feel like I am at a disadvantage however I am going to hunt for the first in the series to see whether I can begin to appreciate it more.
A female duo of investigators, one of whom is the last person to see an old friend before he was murdered, therefore the main suspect. The duo work together to find the real perpetrator, Cosy mystery and not too taxing.
This was different than my normal genre - a bit lighter, still crime mixed in, but some humor too! It was a cool approach to this type of story, I definitely enjoyed it!
Simon Brett is a wonderful author. Each book that keeps coming out gets better and better. Hope he doesn't stop writing for along time. You wont be disappointed in this book. keep up the good work.
Although this was book number 18 in the series this book can be read as a stand alone.

This was an easy read about a small village in Fetherington and two elderly sleuths who find themselves trying to solve a murder.  The characters were all quite endearing and I could picture them in their cosy homes trying to piece together the witness statements in order to try and clear one of their names from the list of prime suspects.

Reading this book was likened, in my opinion, to watching an episode of 'Midsomer Murders'.  It was a pleasant read, humorous in places and one you didn't have to think too hard about.
thanks to netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to review this book.
A delightful and quick read with easy to understand people. People without too much flowery words but enough twist and turns to be interesting.. Well done to this author.
This book in most enjoyable, i would recommend this book, Jude and Carole make a good pair of amateur sleuths
Simon Brett’s “The Liar in the Library” is best considered a classic mystery where sleuthing is an art pursued by avid detectives with search dog eagerness.  The dogs here are a couple of disparate women who spend a lot of time bickering and trash talking each other.

Jude is a free spirited “healer” with a colorful background as a model, actress, and restaurateur who can fend off wandering hands with either aplomb or force, if necessary.  Her next-door neighbor, Carole, is a stable retired civil servant who is disapproving of some of Jude’s methods, but together they form a sleuthing team that is uncannily successful.

Jude gets tangled up with a writer acquaintance of some twenty years prior and, after a book signing and lecture, accepts a ride home.  Before they even leave the parking lot, the writer gropes her, she caresses his cheek with a stinging slap, and walks home in a driving rainstorm.  The police who have her as their prime suspect, being the last person to see him, soon contact her.

Jude calls on Carole and together they begin the search for answers to the many questions that accompany the author’s well laid out story.  Who were all the people at the book signing, particularly the odd ones?  The familiar props of an old fashioned British crime story; a country house, a library, a church service, and, of course, the possible introduction of poison to the author’s drink, are all used by Simon Brett to great effect.  It is a puzzle with all the pieces laid out for the reader, also typical for this type of old-school novel.

I found the story to be intriguing and the author’s architecture well thought out and constructed.  I heartily recommend this book to provide a return to the style of novel most avid readers relish.  If it grows on you, Simon Brett has written some eighteen others of the same ilk.
Carol and Jude get involved in another murder mystery in Fetherington, but this time, Jude is the last person known to have been with the victim and thus is the police's main suspect. As number one suspect, Jude is warned off investigating by the police, so Carol swings into action on her own. Like the other Fetherington mysteries, this is a solid English cosy mystery. Jude and Carol are caricatures of middle aged women--one uptight, one free-spirited--but their friendship rings true, with respect for each others's quirks tinged by occasional jealousy and impatience. Well written, as all Brett's mysteries are, and while I figured out the whodunnit, an enjoyable summer read.
Cosy crime , just perfect for a night by the fire with a glass of something lovely. It is apparently part of a long running series however I think it stands up ok on its own.

Funny and charming characters (Jude and Carole in particular) - a light hearted tale that anyone would enjoy
An easy read! Enjoyable and light but hardly taxing on the old brain cells with it not being too difficult to work out the culprit quite early on.
All this does not make it a poor book merely one that will not linger long in the memory.
My thanks to NetGalley and Blackthorn for the chance to read and provide an unbiased review.
I had never seen the term "cozy mystery" until I read some reviews for this book.  And now with that understanding I would say this is a good example of the genre.  I had a very difficult time getting into the story and probably would have stopped early on except I had been given an ARC and felt obligated to complete the book so I could write the review.  This series has a lot of books so clearly it has a good following and maybe I just need to try a different title.
Amusing whodunit that is entertaining and light.  The main characters are all old friends who have solved many crimes before in Fethering and this new one, the sudden death of a writer from a sever allergy, is no exception.  There is humour and up to date social comment but overall it is a light, quick read.