Cover Image: Working Whole

Working Whole

While I've read a few books on the intersection of our career/vocation and spiritually, this will be the first written from a female author's perspective who's a career expert having been a recruiter, counsellor and coach. While I did believe this was a faith-based (religious) book, it's not and that didn't take away from any of the insight I've gleaned from this book. Anyone seeking to live holistically meaning have their core values and beliefs not only integrated into every area of their lives, but it's from where they lead.
Today, work-life balance can seem like an impossible achievement, however in Working Whole, author Kourtney Whitehead provides over a dozen reflections and meditations on how individuals can look for balance and fulfillment in both aspects of their lives. Short and easily digestible, Working Whole is focused on both helping readers find joy and contentment through daily work and on personal wholeness and wellness for its own sake, providing food for thought as well as actionable advice to help readers internalize the principles. Anyone looking for guidance and thought retraining in this area will benefit for reading this book, but it is especially suited for women who feel stretched thin between work and home.
I really needed this book. I have often struggled with merging the two parts of me: one ambitious and the other striving to be content, or in the words of the author, "humble." This book was very interactive in that it challenges you to ask questions about your life as it is and how you wish to be. Much like a workbook or study, I spent a lot of time thinking about how to change my current situation (externally) to match my current self (internally). I would recommend this book to any woman wondering how to reconcile the different parts of herself, especially as a devout person reconciling that desire to serve with the desire to succeed.
I have yet to read a book like Working Whole. I am a Christian and, although she writes from more of a 'spiritual' perspective, I still felt like this was applicable to my specific faith. I'd say this book would be helpful for anyone looking for deeper purpose in their day-to-day/career. The book is split into two main sections: Integrated and Anchored. There were some 'not so new' thoughts expressed throughout her book; however, sometimes you need certain thoughts reiterated in order to allow them to sink in. I would recommend this book for anyone that feels 'stuck' in their career/workplace. I think Whitehead provides wisdom, tools which aid in one finding their true 'calling.'