Be Like Jesus

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jul 2019

Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
Be Like Jesus is an enjoyable devotional for younger children based on the book of Matthew. The stories are very relatable for young children while learning that there is a God that loves them and is bigger than anything scary on this Earth. Stories keep the attention of children, helping them grow in their faith and learn to trust Jesus.

Thanks to Netgalley and Barbour for this ARC! These thoughts are my own.
Be Like Jesus is a great book for parents to teach their children about God. Marilee's formula of a short scripture, a small explanation and a prayer, gives parents an easy way to bring God into their family schedule. It can be used at bedtime or as a daily lesson. Plus it opens the door for great discussions. (This is my honest opinion even as I recieved this book through NetGalley)
I absolutely LOVE this book! I have a young daughter and have been looking for books to read with her now that she's getting older and coming into the important ages of a girls life. I wanted a way to go over subjects like being a respectful person, being kind to others, to open her up and know she can talk to me about anything, without it just being a constant nag to her. This book is just that! She's very curious about God and Jesus and the way the book is written, getting to the gist of topics without feeling pressured by religion, I love it. She stays interested and asks questions as we go along reading it together. The book keeps her involved, and having a girl with high ADHD, this isn't something that happens often. She loves having the little prayer that she reads out loud at the end of each section. She's able to soak up each lesson and Jesus's words that much more. The sections are informative and get right to the point, without lingering on and being too long, which also helps for her ADHD. I have told all my friends about this book, I highly recommend it!
Be Like Jesus by Marilee Parrish is a wonderful prayer devotional based on scripture, a reflection for the students, and then a followup prayer. As a Catholic Educator in a junior high/middle school setting, it is so hard to find prayer resources that are approachable for all students to be able to make connections with and mature enough while being engaging them at their stage of faith, I am VERY impressed as the layout of the book and the connections that I know that students will make to this devotional in the classroom. As a purchaser for my religion team, I will be purchasing one for everyone of my teachers to use in their classroom as well as making sure the entire division uses this book with this particular grade level. I would love to see what Marilee Parrish writes in devotionals and resources for this particular grade level, She has a talent for connecting the scripture and Jesus with reflections that the students will be able to identity with! I LOVE THIS BOOK!
I really liked the devotions and the direction to young children. However, I feel that if it is directed at young children there should be more pictures to keep the children entertained. My daughter can already spot Jesus in both his infant form and his adult form (she's 3). I beleive she would anticipate seeing him or at least young children while reading this book with her. All of our other devotional books and children's bible have images included.

Also, it may be the reader I was using, but I feel that the devotions should be better spaced on the page so as not to run together. They seemed very jumbled to me and other than the bold text I would not have known where one stopped and the next one began.
This is devotional is a "must have' if you have kids or grandkids. It has a short devotion, bible verses and a prayer. This would make a great bedtime book for you and your child to read together. Thank you Barbour Publishing via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book. This is my honest opinion and I highly recommend this book.
I am not a Blogger but an average reader, I love to read good material. When I saw the title of your book along with the design I had to inquire and I was not disappointed. This book was well overdue, I cannot wait until it is publish. If you are giving out free copies I would love to have one.