Cover Image: Crystal Lore, Legends & Myths

Crystal Lore, Legends & Myths

I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I have to say I have always loved crystals and gemstones. I love the stories behind them and how they are used. This book talks about lost places and stones named over those locations. There is myths and legends. I liked the second on zodiac and the months and crystals that belong with each. I read my horoscope almost daily. Good read.
Highly interesting read and some fascinating mythology I hadn't heard about before which made me want to investigate further.
Crystal Lore, Legends & Myth by Athena Perrakis explores crystal lore from around the world. The leanings are definitely magickal, and the very first chapter discusses Lemuria and Atlantis. The rest of the chapters progress through major human civilisations/ time eras from Sumerians to modern times. The final chapters explore things like quantum healing, zodiacal associations, and using crystals to access Earth wisdom. Each chapter has background, a chart of relevant gems, and a deeper look at each gem in the chart. There are also gorgeous pictures of the crystals.

Even given my own pagan/ magickal outlook, I had trouble with the first chapter. Plato's Atlantis was a story, not a reality. There is absolutely no archaeological evidence to support the existence of either Lemuria or Atlantis. Nor do I hold much truck with the notion of ancient aliens that sparked human civilisation. No, son. There's an equal lack of archaeological evidence to support that ridiculous idea.

Frisson with Chapter 1 aside, I enjoyed learning about the gemstones. Many I was already familiar with, but several were new to me. I found some new ones to work with myself, including atlantisite, for its healing properties. I was sold at 'helps with chronic/ persistent health problems'.

There are lots of neat facts scattered throughout too. I had no idea that Emperor Tiberius enjoyed gardening, for one. It covers the stones in the Breastplate of Aaron, the most in-depth I've read about before. That was quite interesting.

***Many thanks to Netgalley and Quarto Publishing for providing an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This is an interesting take on a crystal book. It was interesting reading about the background and history of Crystal's.

To access the power of crystals, you must know their stories. Crystal Lore, Legends & Myths presents these fascinating histories and legends of the world's crystals.

Crystals, gems, and semi-precious stones have long been sought for their beauty, power, and utility. Historically used as adornments, currency, talismans, and amulets, crystals have been reputed through the ages to bestow magic and power on the user. However, in order to fully harness each stone’s unique power, one must know the unique legends and lore attached to it.

Every stone has a narrative or key that unlocks its power. Oftentimes, these legends have been lost—or even deliberately altered—to confuse and obscure. In Crystal Lore, Legends & Myths, leading crystal expert and metaphysical teacher Athena Perrakis presents the fascinating history of the world’s most powerful stones. This comprehensive collection of stones presents to you the legends and relics from different cultures and ancient civilizations, including Lemuria, Sumeria, Egypt and Atlantis, among others.

Learn the fascinating stories of how gems and minerals were used to raise power, store wisdom and secret teachings, and give incredible healing—and tap into the powers of the crystals yourself!

I thought that this would be an interesting read, but I could not stop laughing - it was so far out there I felt like I was on another planet. (I did say that I would be honest!) If you are into crystals, you might like this book but the average person will probably find it, well, bizarre.    As a librarian, if I do not learn something new or get engaged in the characters I do not finish the book as there are too many good ones out there to read and review.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by Millenials on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🔮
Crystal Lore, Legend & Myths
by Arthena Perrakis PH, D

This book is a guide to gems and stones from around the world.

Included in this guide is a photo of each stone and a map showing where it comes from. Charts are included for crystals showing what their properties are and where they come from.
If your into astrology there is a chapter for the crystals of the Zodiac signs.

For me, I think the stones are pretty and looks good in a collection. But for you this book could be an important guide to learn how to use these stones.

#Netgalley
This is the crystal book that needed to be written - there are many crystal books about the metaphysical properties, but a compilation of history, folklore, and legends of crystals was lacking. I'm so glad Dr. Athena Perrakis was the person to finally publish this type of book! The photos are lovely supplement, but it's the content that really makes this book such a treasure and a joy to read. The organization of the material is easily divided into geographical region, with additional sections such as the crystals of the zodiac. It is written in a clear and concise manner, and I could not put it down! I found myself appreciating my crystal collection a lot more and I can't wait to read her future books she has planned.
It was an interesting read and I enjoyed the photos of the different crystals, they were all very beautiful. Overall though, this book really wasn't my cup of tea and the storytelling of the myths didn't pull me in.
There are a lot of crystals books that focus on the metaphysical properties or working with crystals to better your life, but this is the first book I've read that delves into the historical connections humanes have with stones.  By looking at how humans through history have interacted and looked at the crystals we still use today, we can get a better insight into their properties and it connects us to our ancestors. It also showed me how the gifts of mother earth have been seen as special, magical objects for thousands of years, helping to validate their power.  Athena has a way of making information easily digestible and a pleasure to read about and the only critique is I wanted to learn even more! A great edition to my metaphysical library.
Love this book but a lot of this information is out there in many other books out there. Love the artwork through the book. Very well research, interesting how it is lay out in the book. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn’t know about crystal myths.
Not an encyclopedia of crystals - like the Judy Hall books. This is more of history and information about crystals than what they can be used for. So if you want something like that, this book can be useful for a well rounded knowledge of crystals.
Well it looks like I will have to acquire this book another way because I just went through my kindle and it isn’t on there and it says it was downloaded on February 14th, so I don’t know what happened but I don’t have it at this time, but it is one I will purchase for my collection
This is a useful reference with interesting stories attached to each crystal. An enjoyable read, something for every new or seasoned crystal collector.
I was given this book by NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review! Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity.

If you love Crystals and the idea surrounding it, then you'll love having this book in your collection. It's fun to break out when you have guest over to explain your crystal collection. It's also very informative and descriptive of what each crystal does.  Some of my favorites are Amethyst, Citrine and Lapis. It's interesting to know that Cleopatra used Lapis in her breast plate to give her divine wisdom and truth. She also crushed it into powder and used it as eyeshadow.

As the author describes the power and energy each crystal boosts, they also provide a story of how a legend in history used these crystals to give them the power they desired, or the energy they wanted to gain. I recommend this book, for those who want to learn more about crystals in depth.
I enjoyed this book, but it wasnʻt different enough than so many other books out there.  I do love that Crystals are being more and more main stream and that people are taking a greater interest in them.
As a relative newbie in this life to crystals and their uses, I found this a brilliant starter. The history was interesting and the structure of the chapters, focusing on each area of mythology was very useful for reference.

I have always been drawn to crystals and now I've got some ideas on which ones I'd like to buy first and use in my meditations.

I think this will be a great history and guide book for both beginners and more advanced practitioners of crystals. I loved it.
This 180+ page reference book will introduce readers to incredible information about several of the crystals used all over the world. It is divided into eight chapters: the first five-chapters tackles crystals that might be used during the old times; while the last three chapters are about crystals that can be used for healing, crystals for interdimensional awareness, and crystals of the zodiac.

Those who are crystals enthusiasts will find some facts included to be not new for them, especially the latter part, because they may have read them already on some other book. But I reckon the first several chapters of the book is quite informative and will get engaged them to read because of the history behind the crystals enlisted. Either you are a novice or expert, this another amazing book about crystals is a must-have for those who are into new age practice such as Reiki healing and those who love to collect crystals.
This is the book regarding crystals I have been looking for! Athena Perraks goes into about each crystal including where it was found and any lore behind the stone. This isn't just another guide to crystals, this is informative information that helps explain why crystals have become popular. Each crystal is pictured in beautiful detail and I went away with understanding, I hadn't gotten anywhere else.
If you read this book in an Adobe reader, you might be frustrated.  I spent an inordinate amount of time squinting to reap in the wisdom.  It has lots of that.

In fact, I've never seen so much germane information for those of a spiritual slant.

It inspired me to collect 4 crystals.

Fascinating.  Intelligent.  Lots to learn.

Interestingly enough, I caught glimpse of a review bite that stated that this book may not be for beginners.  Maybe.  But, it doesn't resonate with me.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in crystals and the information behind them. It has great in-depth information on the background, beliefs about each crystal, and the location in which the crystals come from or things those areas believe regarding their use, purpose, and feeling. Each crystal is pictured so that you can see exactly what is being talked about.