Cover Image: The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes

The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes

This was an absolutely delightful book! Hated to have it end. I really want to read more books by this very talented author. I don't think I've laughed so hard over a book in a very long time. You will laugh and you will cry.
Hogan has yet again crafted an enchanting story of love and loss filled with a cast of quirky and developed characters. This book will make you laugh, cry, and feel joyful for the tenacity of the human spirit.
First I want to say thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for this eARC! I was drawn fo this book because of the description. I think grief is a topic that isnt talked about enough and I truly believe that Ruth Hogan painted such a beautiful picture of it. I did enjoy this book, but I will say I had a lot of moments where I had to stop mainly because I lost focus. Parts of it became a bit boring. With that being said I give The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes 3 out of 5 stars.
I am an avid reader of books of all kinds. I have to say, though, that this book was right down my alley for a good, comfortable read. From the beginning, you can tell there is a bit of a mystery, as the author introduces two women who seem unconnected. And you know that the book will take its time fleshing out the details of this apparent disconnect. Along the way, the reader meets some lovely characters, some of whom made me laugh out loud, others who made me cheer, and yet others whom you weren't supposed to like but you could still see the humanity in them. This book was very easy to read (but not simplistic) and the writing was very descriptive. I would recommend it to anyone looking for some clever writing and a warm read. When it was over, I felt sad, as if I had to say goodbye to some people who had become my friends.
Many thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the ARC.

I would like to thank NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for ARC in exchange for an honest review. The story is accomplished, well-written about dealing and mourning with death and the subject matter was heartbreaking. Besides, the characters are quirky and interesting and they had to experience the grief, sadness, and loss that I sympathize with them. I loved reading this heartfelt book and devoured every emotive word.  I think most people would find this emotionally compelling like me and if you love it,  it's a book that you want to read again in the future.
Ruth Hogan paints a vivid picture of the complexities of grief.  Her skill in drawing the reader into complex relationships of her characters is remarkable.
Masha has spent the last 12 years of her life in mourning with only her dog Hazium and her time swimming at the local pool for comfort. All that changes when bag lady Sally Red Shoes enters her life. Sally doesn’t know how to hold back, she has no reason to, and she lets Masha know just how she feels about the other woman’s life, or lack of one. Can Masha put her past behind her and learn to live again? This is a beautiful story about finding wisdom and love in the most unexpected places
I really liked the sound of this one as grief is something we can all relate to, however as much as I tried To like the book, I found the start just deeply depressing so I abandoned ship. It’s possible that if you read on further you will discover this book is a gem. But alas life is too short.

Thank you to netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.