The Hidden Corpse

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Mar 2019

A fun cozy mystery featuring Hope, a Food Blogger, and unintentional investigator of local murders on the side.  When a local neighbor perishes in a house fire, and a surprise second victim is found, the search is on for the responsible party.  This is a fun and fast read with an ending I wasn't able to predict - I had so many guesses! The characters are written with a myriad of personalities, both complimentary and aggravating and funny - you won't be bored with their conversations and crazy antics! I look forward to the next book in this series!!
The Hidden Corpse by Debra Sennefelder is the second book in the Food Blogger Mystery series.  Hope has transitioned from reality cooking show contestant to successful food blogger.  To further her new career she takes part in a food photography course taught by a local man whose wife is missing.  When the missing woman's body is found along with Hope's elderly neighbor in the neighbor's burned home, Hope decides to investigate.  The story and mystery are strong.  My only complaint is that Hope is a weak character.  She spends very little time on her job as food blogger.  I also wish she were smarter overall.  Hope is supposedly use to small town life but seems to have forgotten that nothing in a small town is a secret or even taken at face value.  I enjoyed it overall and will read future books.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  Hope is devastated when her elderly neighbour dies in a tragic house fire.  Hope feels she might have been able to prevent the tragedy.   But when a second body is discovered in the ruins of the home, it becomes clear there is more to the story than a mere fatal accident.
As a food blogger, Hope has the freedom to try and find out what is going on and why her senior friend suffered such a terrible fate.  She is pretty resourceful at sorting through the ingredients of mystery but she just might be too good.  In fact,  her snooping might burn her in the process too.
It was an entertaining read with good characters.  It would make a great summer holiday book.  Four purrs and two paws up.
Welcome back to the fascinating world of food blogging with Hope. I must say this is way more I involved then I ever thought making it fun to follow along. The addition of the murders and the intrigue just make it that much better as things slowly escalate. I especially liked that no matter how she tried to stay out of it something always drug her back in or she just stumbled across something. A great mystery with a wonderful main character joined by an adorable dog. Perfect for fans of cozy mysteries with a food theme. I really liked it so I give it 4/5 stars.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing thi eARC.

This was the first book I have read by this author and it did not disappoint  I love cozy mysteries so this was the perfect read for me.
I loved this fabulous cozy mystery, This is the first time that I have read anything by Debra Sennefelder and I loved her writing. This book was a wonderful blend of mystery, hilarity and romance, The characters were great individuals and the author managed the pacing perfectly. A superb read and very highly recommended. Rating: five stars.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Kensington Books via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This is the second book in the series and it is even better than the first! Hope once again finds herself acting as an amateur sleuth when one of her neighbors is killed in a house fire that is anything but accidental especially when a second body is discovered. The characters are so well developed that they feel like friends and you definitely get invested in their stories. The plot is very well executed and with a few twists and turns to keep you guessing. You aren't sure who the killer is and you may even follow a red herring or two, but the reveal is excellent and completely believable. I can't wait for the next book to come out in this series!
The Hidden Corpse is about chefs and cooking contests, but then, murder gets in the way. Hope has won second place on a cooking show and is contributing some recipes to a new cookbook. A neighbor’s house burns down and  a body is found in the house, but that’s not all they find. Hope has to continue her career while trying to figure out who the killer is before another body is added to the mix. The other contestants are jealous. This book has many characters, but good ones. A good plot, and reading this book will make you hungry. Thank you to Net Galley for allowing me to review this book.
The Hidden Corpse was just as good as the first book in the series. Hope Early has become one of my favorite protagonists to read about when it comes to murder mysteries. She's just so likeable and relatable. The murder mystery in this book was interesting. I did correctly guess who did it, but I was stumped on the why they did it. So, even though I did know who did it, I still found the conclusion to be very satisfying because I didn't know everything. I'm definitely going to read the next book in this series and can't wait until it comes out.

Note: I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of this book. All opinions expressed in the review are my own.
This is book 2 in the Food Blogger Mysteries and can be read as a stand alone.  Hope is a food blogger attending a food photography class in hopes of highlighting her recipes on her blog.  The class is being taught by Cal, whose wife is missing and the town is buzzing about how she just disappeared.  When Hope's elderly neighbor dies in a house fire, everyone is UN-nerved when they find a dead body in her basement.  A pretty good cozy mystery to solve along with Hope and the town's police detective.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This second cozy with Hope and her friends was a good read. The mystery was solid with several twists to keep me wondering. After reading both the books in this series so far, I don’t love the series like some cozy series I have read, but I have enjoyed them enough to continue on with the series. I do enjoy the food blogger angle of the cozy and the murder\mystery is well crafted. So a good set to try if you enjoy a good cozy!

I received this book from NetGalley and was not required to post a positive review. All thoughts are my own.
The Hidden Corpse is a light, charming, cozy mystery.  The characters are well developed and the writing style is easy to read and follow.  I love the setting, New England  is on list of places to visit.  I enjoyed this story, which is the second installment of the Food Blogger series.  I will definitely read more by this author.
Who knew writing a blog could be so dangerous! Food and murder, lethal and tasty.

Hope's blogging is a well run business however she has the chance to improve with a course on professional food photography, the four bloggers were unsure the course would go ahead as a few weeks back Cal (the photographer);s wife had gone missing.  The first two days went well, then things start going downhill with a fire at Hope's neighbour's house that kills not only Peggy the house owner but there is another body as well.

Now Hope is being dragged into the investigation (although she does TRY to stay out of it, sort of) and she is receiving threats in person and anonymously.  Can she, and the local police, solve the crimes and let the town get back to normal?
This the the second book in this Food blogger mystery series. As a part time wannabe Food blogger this was a fun book. With great characters and a great home town feel. Hope is a food blogger after a divorce and failed cooking show shes home Working on her blog,family and relationships. . But trouble seems to be following her- as her neighbor is found dead in a fire and the mystery surrounding it brings her to investigate. A classic cozy mystery and a great afternoon read …… Lisa
The Hidden Corpse:  A Food Blogger Mystery
By Debra Sennefelder
Kensington
April 2019

Review by Cynthia Chow

Hope Early is a food blogger, and not a detective.  That hasn’t kept her from helping to uncover a murderer, but she is determined to focus on her increasingly popular food blog Hope at Home.  Hope’s unsuccessful appearance on a reality cooking show competition and divorce led her back home to Jefferson, Connecticut, and in pursuit of her new career as a food blogger and possible cookbook recipe contributor Hope is taking a photography class from Cal Barnhart.  Hope’s reporter friend Drew is interested in Cal for reasons other than his photography skills though, as he was the last to have seen his wife since Lily Barnhart went missing three weeks ago.

Hope has matters much closer to home to keep her distracted, as when there’s a small kitchen fire in her neighbor Peggy Olson’s home Hope is torn between promising to keep the matter a secret or warning Peggy’s overprotective niece.  The decision is taken out of Hope’s control when a house fire not only results in Peggy’s death, but reveals another body hidden inside.   Even though Hope has her fellow photography class food bloggers around for both companionship and a little sense of competition, she’s not about to fool herself into thinking that she’s going to remain uninvolved in the deaths.  Jefferson Police Chief Ethan Cahill may be stirring up feelings she thought she’d left behind in high school, but she’s not about to let his warnings prevent her from helping her friends.   Far more assertive in expressing her opinion that Hope’s behaving foolishly is her extremely judgmental and bossy sister Claire, whose campaign for mayor has Hope catering a tea party for her lifelong nemesis.  Threats, a newspaper scandal, and even extortion are all up the ante and may make Hope’s next post her last.

Unique to the mystery are the details describing the demands and intricacies involved in creating a popular food blog.  I would never have thought how keywords must be evaluated based on their search popularity (for search engine optimization), or how intricate filming a video blog could be.  B-rolls, visual appeal, close-ups, and lighting are all taxing for an independent blogger, not to mention how often she must update her social media, reply to comments, and share links.  With seven million bloggers all competing for followers and advertisers, it’s no wonder that Hope feels the pressure to hire an agent and maximize her exposure through a cookbook.  Hope’s second career in this new age of influencers and social media is entirely relatable, and she becomes so likable through her vulnerability and complete devotion to her adopted dog Bigelow.  Claire’s insistence on pushing Hope out of “spinster” status yields giggle-worthy results, but despite their sisterly squabbling they truly do have a loving bond.  Foodies will revel in Hope’s baking demonstrations and recipes, and the business details surrounding food blogging are as compelling as the mystery.  A suspenseful finale delivers not just tense moments, but a heroine who must deal with the resulting trauma.  This realism makes it a standout novel in the abundant cozy mystery genre.
It’s a quick, light, fun read. I didn’t want to put it down. I would recommend it to others who enjoy cozies. I look forward to the next one!
The Hidden Corpse is the second book in the Food Blogger Mystery series! We meet up again with Hope Early where’s she’s beginning to feel responsible for the death of her elderly neighbor who perished in a house fire—until another body is found in the house as well, which makes everything start to look really fishy…

I enjoyed the first book in the series and loved this one as well. It was a very fun and delightful read with its likable and well-developed characters, and it’s an interesting yet captivating storyline.

The mystery itself was excellent, very well-plotted and extremely gripping. It kept me guessing and never let me get bored. I literally didn’t put it down until I was finished.

Overall, it’s a great cozy read, and I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.
I do enjoy a good cozy mystery that revolves around food and blogging especially when the recipes are so enticing!

Hope has her hands full between competitive bloggers, the loss of a neighbor, and wondering if the romance part of her life will ever turn around.  She is cautious in the last part due to a bad marriage but I think it holds her back more than it should but this is a small part of the book.  The loss of her neighbor and the disappearance of someone from her town throws Hope smack dab in the middle of a mystery that she, of course, has to solve.

I felt like the mystery was well written because I did not suspect this character in the slightest.  I bumbled around with Hope trying to decipher the clues the author has peppered throughout the book, but alas the author was too smart for me!  There are several possibilities but the reveal might just surprise you as it did me.  It didn't help that there were a few bloggers all participating in a photography class with Hope that have their own motives and don't know how to place nice.

Mystery aside, the personal interactions are interesting to watch.  I feel like Hope lets her sister run roughshod over here and needs to stand up for herself.  Why would she let her sister talk her into doing a tea for someone just days away?  Hope is a pleaser but it throws her into some tight situations.  Then there is Ethan, the sheriff in town.  They are friends but I think they both want more but are afraid to move in that direction.

Overall we enjoyed this second book in the series and can't wait to see what will be cooking in the next installment in this series.  We give this 4 paws up.
I liked the idea of this book far better than I enjoyed the actual story. The premise was a good one and initially I liked the main character. As the story moved on I was both bored and disbelieving of the characters behavior and some situations. *SPOILER* For example, the main character flirts with a man whose wife is missing, and later found to be dead and he asks her to pick out the wife outfit to be buried in? Really? I just didn’t buy it. It felt like just a point to move the plot along and was too forced. After that I just couldn’t get into the story and skim read to the end. I thought the writing was fine so I may give the other another try later on.
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Photos make up a huge part of every blog and food blogger Hope Early has enrolled in a class to up her photo game with Cal Barnhart. She was afraid the class would be canceled since Cal’s wife has gone missing and the police have all but arrested him while their investigation is pending. But the class is on and everyone can see the man is barely functioning without his wife.

Hope is also worried about her elderly neighbor, Peggy Olsen. After Peggy rushed to Hope’s home for help with a kitchen fire caused by food burning on the stove, food Peggy cannot even remember starting, she feels it is not safe for Peggy to live alone.

Before Hope can contact Peggy’s family there is another fire and Hope can’t save Peggy this time. A second body is found in the house and it appears they were dead before the fire even started. Was Peggy collateral damage of a killer trying to cover his tracks? Hope feels responsible for not getting Peggy out of that house. She decides she needs to focus and get a clear picture of the killer and get justice for her friend. That is unless she is the next one going up in flames.

___

Our protagonist Hope Early is juggling a lot of things in the air before she even adds this new murder mystery to her list. Her sister Claire is running for mayor while trying to keep the Planning and Zoning committee filled with people of her choosing. She ropes Hope into hosting a tea to garner support for Maretta Kingston to become its newest member. She also is trying to decide on 5 recipes she contractually has to submit for a cookbook after being on that baking show. Plus she is trying to train her lovable pup Bigelow, remodel her new home, keep her blog up to date and oh yeah, the photography class, which may be taught by a murderer.

Author Debra Sennefelder has put her lead character to the test but she has surrounded her with a fantastic supporting cast that helps her keeps all those balls in the air. Those characters include Ethan Cahill, longtime friend, and chief of police. They make a great team and it drives “just the facts” Detective Reid crazy and I absolutely loved it! Her best friend Drew is feeling the heat as he is up against a new hot-shot reporter at the finally struggling newspaper. He hopes Hope can help him get a scoop so he doesn’t lose his job. The characters are all very realistic. The interactions and dialogue are spot on, good for the occasional chuckle or serious when necessary.

Readers are treated to a wonderfully written mystery with a variety of suspects. After a plethora of twists and turns, a red herring or two, I was completely surprised by the killer reveal. I found the story to be very fast-paced with something always drawing my mind a little sideways away from my original task of sleuthing out the killer before Hope. I really enjoy when that happens because that means I did “escape” into the book.

A perfect escape, this story held me tight and I was entertained the whole way. I can’t wait to visit these characters again.

Three Widows and A Corpse will be out October 29, 2019.