Don't Tell Me Not to Ask Why

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Mar 2019

This book was a struggle for me to get through. Personally, it didn't feel engaging in any way. It felt very private in some ways where it felt like it wasn't something I should be reading. Besides my misgivings, the poetry was well written. I'd recommend giving it a try.
I enjoyed reading this poetry collection, felt like a new voice to me. Talking about relatable ideas and feelings.
A really thoughtful and poignant collection of poetry - it took me some time to read as some of the poems really needed multiple readings to fully appreciate. It was powerful and personal - I would highly recommend this collection.
This book wasn't for me. I appreciate what the author tried to do, but I simply could not connect with it on an emotional level.
Absolutely beautiful writing!! I loved every page of this book. I can’t wait to read more. The imagery that the writing created was absolutely fabulous and I felt as if I understood where the author was coming from every inch of the way!
This was a really nice book of original poetry. Often it felt as if I was reading someone’s private diary, as if I was eavesdropping into their mind at different stages of their life or reflections of a time that had profound impact on them. It was touching and raw. I’m positive that in her writings, she was able to release a great deal of emotions. Many of the poems are quite relatable, but the poem that struck a huge cord with me was titled, To My Vessel. That poem sucker punched me, as I realize how I don’t offer enough self-love to my own vessel and what it’s gotten me through. I recommend this book to anyone who loves poetry and prose or for those who might need to be inspired to write their own healing prose. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ability to read and review this work.
In February, I committed to reading and reviewing poetry and was really excited about this title. Unfortunately, I struggled to connect with or finish Don't Tell Me Not to Ask Why. It didn't engage my senses in a way that moved or inspired me. Instead, it struck me as a very raw grievance. This work is definitely reflective of incredible vulnerability, but as a reader I felt weighed down by it. Don't Tell Me Not to Ask Why elicited a lot of sympathy, but the self-awareness and "bigger picture" vision that I long for in poetry seemed tangled up with a great deal of pain and anger that's yet to be sorted through. I appreciate Samatha King Homes' courage and think some readers will find solace in knowing they're not alone in the intensity of emotions and experiences she shares in Don't Tell Me Not to Ask Why's pages.
Almost everyone can relate to a poem. They can pick a word or an emotion from it and remember a similar time in their own life. But Don't Tell Me Not to Ask Why each poem, for me, I could relate with very personal experiences. Samantha King Holmes is an incredibly talented writer,  her poems are original. Being original is hard to come by these days.
Holmes' collection of poetry and prose is filled with beautiful longing, incredible vocabulary, and amazing topics.  She discusses family, childhood, love, bodies, travel, and more.  Her writing is aesthetically pleasing both in design and in word, and each poem asks for something different in response.  This is best read, in my opinion, with a cup of tea and near a window to gaze out of.  If you're a fan of poetry, don't miss out on this collection!
A very interesting story that was not able to sustain my attention for the totality of the narrative. An admirable attempt.
Bold, daring, and beautiful.  I enjoyed the verses in Samantha King Holmes's collection and would gladly recommend them for poetry lovers.  Holmes has a capable command of poetic elements, and I appreciate the story that is woven in these works.
Samantha King Holmes creatively explores her journey through life thus far in prose. Much of her writings is relatable and will be enjoyed by many.
These poems tugged on my heart strings. Each and every person, if you are a true human being, has dealt with loss and various other topics Holmes discusses. These poems truly make you feel something. They bring out emotions especially when you relate to the topics being addressed. Well done and will certainly recommend to others upon publication date.
A collection of work that journeys through the coming of age with clarity and finesse. The poems range from heart wrenching to honest to nostalgic. A good read.