The 5-Minute Bible Study for Difficult Times

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jul 2019

The 5-Minute Bible Study for Difficult Times was what I expected it to be. Each study had a passage for you to read, a key verse, an "understand" portion, an "apply" portion, and a "pray" portion. The entries were fine, but nothing deep. I liked the format, but would have preferred that The Message not have been used SO much for the key verses.

All in all, this was okay. I'm glad I read it, but it is not a favorite devotional.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.*
Review of The 5-Minute Bible Study for Difficult Times, by Ellyn Sanna.
This short devotional is similar in style to other Barbour Publishing devotionals I have reviewed recently, The 5-Minute Bible Study for the Anxious Heart, and The Bible Promise Book For the Anxious Heart.
The format this devotional follows is listing a topic of difficulty, such as I Can’t Take the Stress, followed by a recommended passage of scripture, and a key scripture verse. Next, a section called Understand presents several questions to help you think about the topic in terms of the scripture that was just presented.
In a section called Apply, we are given practical advice to carry out the wisdom found in scripture. A short prayer ends the devotion with a petition for God’s help in the topic of study.
Of the three devotionals reviewed, I found the Difficult Times to be the most relevant for me. Perhaps it spoke to a need at that moment in my life, or maybe the subtlety of this third book being written by a different author made the distinction for me. Regardless, I recommend all three of these devotionals, whether or not you are anxious or going through difficulties. Hide these truths in your heart for the times you will need them.
I received a copy of this book from  the publisher through Net Galley. What follows is an honest review.

The book it self is great, though I have a few reservations. The whole book does reflect "difficult times", yes it stays on topic, however it reminds me too much of "Daily Bread".

To me it's the same exact thing, except the title is different and it only focuses on the one subject.

I do however like the prayers, they seem more believable.

I would personally still recommend it, and use it myself.
I have read a few of the "5-Minute Bible Study" books now and I have loved them all. I will say that in every case I have always suggested spending more than 5 minutes and this book is no exception. These give you so much to think about that I really suggest sitting down with a journal and getting the most you can out of it.

Like all the books, this contains a scripture (minute 1-2), 2-3 thinking prompts (minute 3),  apply (minute 4), and pray (minute 5). The thinking prompts are where I believe you should spend more time. You could easily use these as journal prompts to get a more in-depth study.

These books are good alone or with a group. For this reason, I suggest this book for anyone no matter what your role or stage in faith. They are beginner friendly, but the self-reflection is good for any level.

I received this book free from netgalley in exchange for this honest review.
I felt this was a neat and practical book for when you find yourself really struggling with your prayer life. Prayer is the most important part of having a relationship with God. We must be in communion with him all the time but all of the struggle with prayer or go through seasons of where our spiritual life is lacking. Those are the times where I think this book could be most useful and practical. The prayers are designed to be short (just five minutes) to help guide your prayer life when you are lacking. The book is set up with topics that you could pray for such as feelings of inadequacy, loss of sleep,  hopelessness, or even kids driving you crazy. The prayers prompt you to read from scripture on each topic and provide understanding and encouragement. This is a great tool to keep on your bedside.

*An e-book was provided by NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.
This is a bible study that will help everybody. Each day starts with bible verses, then a reading and a question to help you understand, then it explains how to apply it to your life and ends with a wonderful prayer. This book would make a great gift. Thank you Barbour Publishing via NetGalley for the Arc of this wonderful book. This is my honest opinion.