Cover Image: Postcards for a Songbird

Postcards for a Songbird

Again this is a case of, it’s not me, it’s you. I’m just not a fan of YA novels anymore and I’m learning that that is okay!! I’m sure that this will be great for anyone going through this. And you should totally read it!

This was a very "floaty" book in that it's filled with the MC's thoughts and fantasies while still carrying the reader through the story. Lots of imagery and similes. The teenage MC is well portrayed, and her relationship with her dad is done well too, with a clever twist on it all near the end. Nice bit of writing.

i just didn’t feel this. i honestly don’t have any words this book and i didn’t click in the slightest.

I want to thank Netgalley for providing me an Arc of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book was so amazing!
I adored the writing style of this book.
The way the author describes everything is so beautifully vivid and unique way.
I adored wren she is such a relatable character and I really enjoyed reading her story.
The side characters were some of the best I’ve ever read about I wanted to know more about all their lives.
I honestly can’t tell you how much I loved this book it was a reading experience that will stay with me forever!
I gave it 5 fully deserved stars.

I’m not going to beat around the bush here. I LOVED this book. It is one of the most beautiful novels I’ve read, and there are so many reasons. Now I’m going to tell you all the fabulous reasons why.

The cover:
How adorable is the cover?! I love the bright yellow, and the idea of the two characters balancing on a wire, like a pair of birds. The colours make me think happy thoughts, and so that’s what I had going into the book. I initially clicked on it due to the cover, so though I know you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, I totally did, and have zero regrets.

The plot:
Wren Plumley is alone. Her mother left when she was little, her best friend has a boyfriend, and her sister Lizzie has disappeared into the night. Her father, Chief, a police officer, works night shifts and quite often Wren is alone with her babysitter that never speaks to her. Then a boy moves in next door. A sickly, pale boy named Wilder who cannot leave his house. As awful as that is, at least Wren knows he can’t leave her.

Then into Wren’s life come a colourful collection of people – Leia, Baby Girl, and bright, chatty Luca, who is determined to get to know her despite her objections. As unmarked postcards arrive from Lizzie, and questions arise about the mother that left her, Wren begins to realise that perhaps she has been living too cautiously and colourlessly. Perhaps these people in her life, and Luca in particular, are worth opening her heart to.

The characters:
A gorgeous array of fascinating characters! Firstly there’s Wren, the ‘Songbird’ in the cover title. Initially she is a small person, living a small life. Her life is lived in the shadow of others, namely her older sister Lizzie.

She interested me straight away. I wish I was as well spoken as Wren as a teenager! She speaks in metaphor and simile as a way of understanding the world, and though it was unusual to read, I loved it.

Not only does she speak in imagery, she also has a gift with colour. She paints, but she also sees people in colour – every person has a different coloured aura, depicting their personality and characteristics. Her sister Lizzie is cadmium-yellow, as bright as the sun. The only person she knows that is cadmium-yellow, until she meets Luca.

Watching Wren grow from that invisible, forgettable girl into her own person, discovering what makes her her, is a heartwarming experiencing, because yes, by the end of the book I had fallen for this gloriously bizarre character.

The other characters are just as colourful and fascinating. Each one plays a vital role in Wren’s growth, and there wasn’t a single one that I didn’t enjoy.

The writing:
This is what really struck me with Postcards for a Songbird. I adored the language. A lyrical prose, it reads so beautifully, and I felt such happiness reading it. I didn’t want to stop reading it.

Rebekah Crane has taken such ordinary things and transformed them into poetry. It’s beautiful, and I greedily read it, wanting more.

To conclude:
Oh my goodness, I just loved Postcards for a Songbird. I feel like Wren and her friends will be staying beside me for a while. Everything from the very lovable characters, to the colourful auras, and the singing prose, this book shines cadmium-yellow. It’s bright and glorious, demanding attention, and I adored it.

"Life had changed too quickly, and all this bird could do was wait and make itself one with the storm"
Wren is use to people leaving. Maybe that's why she needs to be able to categorize everyone she encounters, whether it's by reading their aura ("not the hippie kind", she clarifies) or the gesture that best represents them. In "Postcards for a Songbird", Wren slowly starts to let people in and open herself to new friendships and even love.

Author Rebekah Crane uses color and nature to create beautifully artistic prose in this story of young love and self-discovery. This is the kind of YA novel that has mass appeal (even for the not-so-young adult reader) because the author does not assume the younger adult must need simplified writing or watered down content. The characters come alive and stay with you after the story ends, the only problem with this book is I didn't want it to end!

This book is beautifully written but there is part of the book that has me a bit confused. There is a character, Wilder, who is briefly introduced in the middle of the book. He is only ever seen by Wren and at certain times of the night. He seems to almost try to hold back Wren from her journey. Then he disappers. The author makes it seem like her may be imaginative but never really answer it either way.

Postcards for a Songbird is a story about 16 year Wren (often called Songbird by her sister) Wren beleives she cursed because everyone is always leaving her. Her mom left her 12 year ago and her sister Lizzie left just a month ago.

Wren goes on a personal journey where she friends friendship, love and some hard truths about the past.

Overall while I didn't enjoy as much as Rebekah's other books, I would still recommend it.

Thank you netgalley for the chance to read this e-arc in exhange for an honest review.

I love Rebekah Crane's books. Her characters are so quirky and fully-developed. Even the minor characters are so charming.

I just read this book in one go. And the mystery of what happened to Lizzie was so much better than I anticipated. I actually just texted a friend to tell her to get this author's books for her daughter.

The only thing I have questions about is Wilder. He seems like a malevolent Boo Radley, but I'm not even sure he's not a figment of Wren's imagination. None of the other characters have ever seen him.

But I love Wren and Luca and Wren and Luca together. And I love Baby Girl.

tl; dr: Young love in a family with some broken hearts.

Review:
On its surface, this is a regular YA romance. But, I loved it. The main character, Wren, is wonderfully drawn. Her father, a policeman, is also nicely done. The love story isn't much of a surprise, but the point of the book sort comes upon you. You realize its not about romantic love as much as about the elasticity of love at all.

I might also mention the prose in this book. I have read hundreds of YA romances, eclectic to mass-market. Many are written in a way that privileges storyline to text. This book, however, is written in a beautiful voice. The words are used in surprising ways, and her artistry is employed without sacrificing pacing.

4.5 for sure. Read this one.

***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of POSTCARDS FOR A SONGBIRD by Rebekah Crane in exchange for my honest review.***

2.5 STARS

The only thing Wren knows is everyone leaves. First her mother, twelve years ago, now her beloved sister Lizzie. Now her father, whom she calls Chief, talks of sending Wren to Utah to live with relatives. She needs to prove her father that she has a life outside of the house. Soon she meets a unique cast of characters as she comes closer to the mystery of Lizzie’s disappearance.

My first impression of POSTCARDS FOR A SONGBIRD was the beauty of Rebekah Crane’s lyrical prose. Wren thinks in metaphors as a way to understand her world. After a few chapters I grew tired of Wren’s narration. The writing felt heavy and stilted. The plot moved at a snail’s pace, yet Wren and her friends kept me in interested for most of the story.

POSTCARDS FOR A SONGBIRD is a story of Wren’s growth from her sister’s shadow and Wren does discover herself. The resolution felt like a letdown because I couldn’t comprehend the motivations of Lizzie and Chief. Wren’s father told her, but it didn’t feel genuine.

I wouldn’t go out of my way to recommend d POSTCARDS FOR A SONGBIRD, but I wouldn’t dissuade readers if asked for my opinion.