Things My Son Needs to Know About the World

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

Backman has this way of writing that touches on so many emotions. As a new parent this one made me feel so many emotions. Loved this one!
You did it again Mr. Backman!  I laughed, I cried, and I smiled out loud.  This book is full of humour, truth and learnings about fatherhood.  I have loved every book written by Mr. Backman and this one did not disappoint.
Overall a good, fun, read. Author is able to make fun of himself in some serious situations. Would recommend this to someone with kids, looking for a light read.
I liked this book.  But I like all that this author puts down. A good blend of humour and skepticism
Very relatable collection of essays about the joys and challenges of parenthood. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
This book was SO REAL.

Being a new mom I completely related to this book. My son is 1 and I wish that I wrote him something like this that he could read when he gets a little older. This is my first book by Backman that I’ve read and I completely adored it. The way he describes the fatherhood side of things is so funny and yet down to earth and real. His emotions are so raw and the way he describes his feelings for his wife and son completely tore at my heartstrings. A lot of people always focus on the hard work women do to raise children but men out just as much effort and hard work and this book sheds light on that in the most lighthearted way.
His writing style was just my cup of tea. I flew through the pages. I laughed, I cried and laughed some more. Backman is a super talented and down to earth writer. He didn’t sugar coat things and it made the struggles of every day parenthood (when you feel like you’re going crazy and about to give up) seem so normal. The only thing I don’t like was that some of the essays dragged on a bit too long and became repetitive. Overall great book!

“I love you as though you were a runaway goods train thundering through every cell in my body. I mean that this love didn’t grow on me, it knocked me over.”

I can’t even begin to explain how incredibly true this quote is...I never knew that this kind of overtaking, uncontrollable love existed until my son was born.

ARC received in exchange for an honest review.
This book touched my heart. It had many lessons for the son, as was to be expected, but also the father's lessons he had learned or was in the process of learning. As someone who isn't a parent, this made me long to be one and believe that no matter what it will all be okay.
Living in a time of technology and everyone having access to all the information in the world, you are expected to know everything and do everything. Backman explores this perplexing expectation with a smile and laugh as well as heart warming tales.
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for an ARC of this book.

I loved this book. Not only did I love it, I am now adding it to my list of gifts for new-parents, father's day presents, Christmas presents, birthday gifts...you get the point.

Backman's book explores the advice that he believes his very young son needs to know in order to become an effective and responsible adult. The book also acts as a letter of explanation/apology as Backman explains some of the flaws he has made in his parenting thus far. Using both humor and heart, Backman hits the nail on the head of so many parenting issues, all the while utilizing WWE's The Undertaker and starting your own band as illustrations of the lessons he is preaching. The book is a short and wildly entertaining read that will leave you googling whether Backman has written a follow up yet (or at least that what I did when the book ended). Highly recommend.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for a honest review. I'll be honest I can't be the most objective reviewer for any of Backman's book. He is a special author to me and I enjoy everything he puts out. I love this gems, letters to his son. It was very precious
Loved! Easy writing style made it a fast and easy read. And some wise words of wisdom for us all.
I like his sense of humour and you can tell how much he loves his family. It made me laugh out loud. For real.
A series of essays about the joys (and perils) of parenthood. It was a quick read, light, humorous, and loving and will resonate with all parents.

I received an advance copy from NetGalley.
I really enjoyed this collection of essays from Backman. I laughed out loud many times, especially in the chapters about Ikea and what it means to be a man. I was touched by his love for his wife and son. And, as always, I was impressed by how Backman is able to cut to the core of what means to be a person on this earth. It is a fantastic book!
I love everything that Fredrik Backman writes, and this is no exception!  It is refreshing to read a book about his life because he is so private.  His humor comes across brilliantly.  A quick and enjoyable read.
I've enjoyed each of Backman's works of fiction, but none as much as this laugh out loud, truthful, insightful look into parenthood.
4.5/5*

*I received an E-arc for an honest review*
I loved this it made me laugh a lot, and as someone who is not a parent, it made me see my own upbringing in a different light, made me wonder if my parents ever thought like this. I have been a big fan of Fredrik Bakman for about half a year now and thought that this collection of essays and little snippets that he wants to explain to his son are both heartwarming, sweet and hilarious. Especially anything to do with Ikea.
A delightful and poignant book about Fredrik Backman falling in love and having a son.  He expresses his experiences by writing delightful, often funny anecdotes about his life.    The stories are to give his son all he thinks he should know!  He frequently repeats that no matter what, he has always done his best, and obviously loves his family a great deal.   A quick and worthwhile read, giving the reader an insight to the man that writes such great novels.
Seeing as I read mostly speculative or historical fiction, this was something of a departure for me, so maybe you can factor that into the review somehow. Anyway, when I saw the title pop up on Netgalley, I decided to give it a go. After all, I have a young son, and Fredrik Backman is a well known author with a sizable following, so what could possibly go wrong? Well nothing really. The book was...fine. Not amazing, and certainly not awful. It was about as okay as a book can get. Essentially, the book is what is says on the tin - the author wants to impart some wisdom to his infant son, who by the end of the book appears to be about 18 months old. This is not unusual to most of us dads who aspire to be non-deadbeats, even though we’ll spend most of our time trying to prove we’re at least aiming to be competent..
So, back to the book. It’s a series of anecdotes about his life experience as a dad and before that at times are freakin’ hysterical. Not just hysterical, but FREAKIN’ hysterical. They are rather random, like on soccer, politics and love and so forth, and some really hit the point, but maybe not in the way you’d expect (particularly the soccer one), and I’m sure each one will touch us differently.
So far, it probably seems like I loved it, but here’s the rub - the constant humorous rants can get a get tiring at times. You know when you’re out or at work or whatever, and someone says something so funny, we nearly poop ourselves laughing? Then the person says something that might pass for funny at the appropriate state of inebriation, and we offer a fake chuckle, then look around without trying to catch the person’s eye? The person now believes they are “on a roll” and starts spewing gibberish, and none of us has the guts to tell the person to stop? Know what I mean? That’s what I felt like at times when reading this. It’s a shame, because the author is funny and a fine writer, but I think he could have hit the “poignant” button a little more.
So to sum up, it’s a good read, funny, and the final anecdote when he tells the reason for this book might make you forgive his occasional rant. Somewhere between 3 and 3.5 stars.
This small book is full of beautiful moments, words of wisdom, and hilarious truths.  I am being totally honest when I say this even though I am a woman who has two daughters and no sons.  You don't have to be a father to read this book. I just love this man's writing and plan on picking up this book and others of his.
Another wonderful book by Fredrik Backman. I am neither a father, nor a parent, but it was touching nonetheless. And of course it has great humour and language in it. It's also interesting to see insight into his personal life and see how his quirky personality shows in his work.
Thank you so much @netgalley for providing me with an advanced copy of Things My Son Needs to Know About The World by @backmansk in exchange for an honest review.
I was thrilled to be able to get my hands on this book early. I put off reading this book for as long as I could because I knew it wouldn’t take me long to read it and I wanted to have it to look forward to. I will read anything Fredrik Backman writes. His writing is honest and vulnerable and you can just FEEL the emotions he was feeling as he wrote it. The reader is given front row seats to the devotion he feels towards his wife and his son. His fears, his insecurities, his humbleness, they are all laid out on the table and I loved and appreciated every page of it. If you read this book, you will laugh and you may shed a tear, but as always with Fredrik Backman’s books, you will come away feeling enlightened. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️