Cover Image: The Third Mrs. Durst

The Third Mrs. Durst

Mr. Durst is a bastard. Think an older Christian Grey without any redeeming qualities. But his third wife is set to put him to rights, even if it kills her. Because being married to Mr. Durst has that effect on women. And so driven by all the wrong motivations they enter a state of matrimony and thus begins a thoroughly messed up marriage of mutually assured destruction as an active intent. But really this is a revenge story, a tale of a backwoods girl who uses her gorgeous looks to get revenge. But really this is completely preposterous. It seems like yet another one of those women driven suspense thrillers, but it’s so over the top, so tacky and so very cheesy that it’s really in a class of its own. Essentially if a suspense thriller had a threesome with Fifty Shades and a trashy paperback romance this would be their bastard baby. And funny I should mention threesome, because that’s exactly how the book ends, with a freaking threesome and even the soundtrack suggested. There are so many clichés, so many cardboard cutouts of characters and so much hyperbolic action…that you just gotta laugh. I mean, it isn’t just cheesy, it’s super cheesy, the Kindle was practically oozing cheddar by the time I was incredulously reading the unintentionally hilarious final chapter, but you got to give the author credit…she chose cheese and committed to it. In fact, in cheese this was…American, cambozola, camembert, brie and then some sort of poisonous cheese. Yeah, I just described a novel in cheese. Yey, me. But seriously, Ann Aquirre’s bio says she has written 42 books. Her Wikipedia page lists her age as 48. Do the math and you realize you can’t possibly expect any sort of quality with that level of output. What you can expect is readability and this was very readable. Even entertaining. But entertainment of a low order, the crappy tv show or stupid youtuve clip you might find yourself watching against your best judgement. The book’s protagonist is white trash that gets glitzed up, because money rules the world and all that and the book is kind of the same…which is to say highly superficial curb appeal. It isn’t a classy psychological suspense thriller you’ve been waiting for, it’s its trashy slutty sister. So you know…options. Very quick read too. Cheap fun and inadvertently funny at the same time. Thanks Netgalley.
"The Third Mrs. Durst" is about Marlene, a girl who escaped poverty, became a model, and married Michael Durst, an extremely wealthy, yet controlling man. After having to deal with an unbelievably controlled existence, Marlene decides to take action and take revenge against her husband for the pain he has caused her and his previous two wives.

This book was really interesting, and the ending was really tied together nicely. However, there were some things that weren't fully explained. If those things had been more fleshed out and explained, such as Jenny and the Deb situation, it would've been even better.
In order to truly love a book I need to connect with the heroine or hero. Sadly, I connected with neither in this book. In its essence I think this book was about choices. The choices the heroine made from the very beginning where she ran away from home and then everything she after that, in addition to getting Micheal Durst as a husband, were choices she made with her eyes- apparently- wide open. And I have to admit, I didn't care for any of the choices she made.
The pacing seemed off to me at times, too A lot of quick story in the beginning chapters and then the laborious read through of all the chapters and abuse she suffered at her husband's hand in the middle. While this book wasn't for me, I can see where many would like it.
Thanks to Netgalley for an arc for an honest opinion about the work. Sadly, it just didn't work for me on many levels,
I received an advance readers copy in exchange for an honest review.
I would not say this book was entirely bad, but I don’t think I could say it was good
This book was a riveting tale of revenge at it's finest. Once I read the synopsis I was sucked completely in. This is my first read by Ann Aquirre and she did not disappoint. I don't even know where to begin on how to review this! It will be vague because there are some twists and turns and shocking revelations that you will not see coming. Marlena was badass. The things she had to endure and put up with because of Michael will have you on the edge of your seat. He was a grade A a**hole. There was so many times that I wanted to throw my ereader with his antics. I had to keep reading though to see how Marlena was gonna hand his a** to him. The ending was phenomenal and then that epilogue just made it that much more so. I can't wait to read more titles by Ann.
I really enjoyed this get me gripped until the end! Read in one sitting! Thankyou to Netgalley for the arc!
I love Ann Aguirre’s Enclave series, so I was super excited to see her new adult thriller. Though I was able to put it down, I always came back to it and I am glad I did. I liked the general plot, and the twist at the end was great.
Very enjoyable book. Kept me guessing and then nice surprise at the end. A little weird to have the main character sleeping with best friend and body guard but oh well. I liked it and it kept my attention until the end.
Marlena fled an ugly, abusive childhood, determined to build herself a better future. While on a modeling job, she meets Durst, a man with money, style and a place in the upper echelons of society. She’s flattered when he asks her out, even if he does seem to be a little domineering. As their relationship progresses, Durst asks Marlena to marry him and even though she’s a little leery, she accepts. That’s when everything changes, her lover becomes a bully, she has to pretend she grew up in a foreign country, follow his every rule. He dresses her, has bodyguard’s watching her every move, and when he believes she’s transgressed, his punishments are swift and brutal. But Marlena has her reasons for being with Durst, their meeting was no accident, and she plans to do everything in her power to make sure this evil creep goes down for good.