Famous Dishes from Around the World / Platos famosos de todo el mundo

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Aug 2019

First and foremost, the book appealed to me because it is bilingual - Spanish/English - and therefore I had the chance to refresh my Spanish knowledge. Famous Dishes Around the World covers 30 international-ethnic dishes which cover the entire world. You have jambalaya from New Orleans or the Swedish Kötbullar, or my childhood beloved 'chicken paprikash' (however I would rather find something else than the 'Israeli cabbage rolls', which is a meal common in the Balkans. Maybe shakshuka?). The recipes are budget conscious, with calorie and nutrition breakdown for every dish and some useful background information as well. In many cases chicken and turkey are the main meats used and I am definitely convinced to try some of them in the near future.
A book good for the Spanish reader, the food lover and the healthy-conscious human.
Famous Dishes from Around the World by Stephanie Maze features thirty recipes with a healthy twist.  I liked the mix of recipes featured.  I appreciated that the recipes were simple with easy to find ingredients.  At the same time I wonder how authentic they are based on the simplicity.  This is a good book for the home cook to try popular dishes from different counties.
I received an ARC of this book from Moonstone Press LLC. via NetGalley, this review is my personal opinion.

From the moment you open this book, you can see the work that they invest. I like that the first thing you find is helpful and useful cooking tips, you may already know them; but maybe you don't, so it is nice. Colorful and with an easy and simple step by steps, and historical and nutritional information on each recipe. I also like the final tips that you can find in the cookbook,  If you like to cook for friends and family and like around the world dishes, in a simple and uncomplicated way this book could be a great choice for you.

Recibí una copia gratis de  por parte de Moonstone Press LLC. via NetGalley, este review es mi opinion personal.

Se puede ver el trabajo y la dedicación que llevo realizarlo, Me agrado tanto ver que este libro es bi-lingue, me parece muy útil. Porque aunque es cierto que el ingles es el idioma universal; también es cierto que muchos no lo hablan. Desde el primer momento cuando inicia con recomendaciones y tips de cocina, con paginas coloridas y tal como lo dice el titulo. Recetas sencillas y saludables, explicadas paso a paso de manera sencilla. Me gusto que tiene algo de historia del plato y su origen, muy importante la información nutricional y por ultimo recomendaciones para una alimentación saludable.Creo que este libro seria una buena inversión, sobre todo aquellos que disfrutan aprender nuevas recetas y compartir con familia y amigos.
What a fun cookbook. It was a joy to try these dishes and to reach through each one. This is a great cookbook for variety and taste. It you feel like you've been in a cooking slump I would highly recommend giving this a try. It will fill your stomach with pizazz and wonder!
This wasn't anything new and I think I'd rather have a cookbook from each region than a mish-mash of things from all over.
This is a great cookbook for the person who wants to expand their ethnic food horizons.  I could see working through this book in order with a new recipe weekly or monthly.  It's a good mix of Asian,  Mexican,  a little Mediterranean too.

One note, some of these seem a little too complex for a work night.
A very short cookery book maybe to inspire intrepid cooks to experiment.   Interesting concept being written in 2 languages with a short history about each recipe together with nutritional information and photos.  Quite loosely based on famous dishes with often the substitution of turkey in many.  Being English the recipe for Shepherds Pie jarred with Turkey and not lamb as this pie changes it's name according to the meat used.  Saying that I'm not sure what the dish with turkey would be called despite having substituted with this meat myself.  I  suppose as the book is inspired by the immigrants of America then they substite what is available which to a certain extent we all do.

An interesting little book to inspire  cooking from scratch especially for young people learning either language from their mother tongue of English or Spanish.
A very clever concept - selecting best known international dishes in America into one book. It is appealing to have your favourites in one book instead of hunting through various specific national cuisine collections for only one recipe that you'll make.
The fact that it is bilingual - Spanish and English - makes is appeal to a broader segment of the especially American population.
The recipes themselves are well laid out with beautiful, colour photographs of the finished dish, a clear list of all ingredients required and a detailed, step by step method that even an inexperienced home chef can follow.
The extras, like "Some Cooking Tips and Tricks"; the history and background to each recipe as well as nutrition information are very handy to have.
I like that the index is classed by main ingredients too. The "Notes" section right at the back is a great addition for you to jot down variations or adaptations to each recipe.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to read this book.
A wonderfully diverse range of recipes with some amazing flavours. It was very interesting learning about the various cuisines from all around the world and I'm looking forward to trying some of the tasty dishes in this book!
I really like the recipes in this cookbook.  There are recipes from so many countries I'm looking forward to trying them. they all seem easy and doable with easy to obtain ingredients.
Lovely cookbook! I love how it had dishes from all over the world. The recipes are easy to follow and the pictures are beautiful! I loved the seeing the diversity in the type of dishes and learning about the origins of the food. This would be a great gift to food lovers and those who love travelling!
Love that the book is bilingual.Lots of recipes from all over the world.Easy to follow with precise instructions and readily available ingredients.
I enjoy discovering new dishes and experimenting with international cuisine so this cookbook was a natural fit for me. The dishes in this book do not disappoint. So far, I've tried the Indian Vegetable Korma, the Israeli Cabbage Rolls, and the Kung Pao Chicken (sort of).

I'm vegetarian, so I had to make a few adjustments. The Korma was vegetarian from the start and, unlike many vegetarian dishes (which seem to be afterthoughts in most cookbooks) this one turned out to be extremely flavorful. Winner! To make the Kung Pao Chicken work for me, I substituted extra-firm tofu for the chicken. I treated the tofu exactly as the direction treated the chicken with very tasty results. I swapped out lentils for the ground turkey in the Israeli Cabbage Rolls and, again, the flavors were terrific. Another family favorite. On request, I'm making another batch of cabbage rolls tonight. If I can get my carnivore to stop asking for repeats from this cookbook, I'll try more of the recipes. ;-)

There are beautiful pictures throughout and English instructions on one page and Spanish instructions on the facing one. Each recipe includes nutritional information and the introduction indicates that some recipes have been adjusted from their cultural origins in order to incorporate heather options like lean meats and vegetables. I also enjoyed the interesting historical and cultural fact boxes included with each dish. So much fun!

This is a keeper, for sure, and I'm looking forward to exploring many of the other recipes!

Thank you to NetGalley and Moonstone Press for providing me with a free electronic copy in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I like to have variety in my cooking. I also like to try different recipes from all cultures. This book which is written both in English and Spanish did not disappoint. With colorful, appetizing photos and easy to read recipes it is packed with recipes to try. From British Shepards Pie, Colombian Sancocho, French Ratatouille, Indian Fish Curry, Israeli Cabbage Rolls, Mexican Fajitas, Polish Lentil Stew, Spanish Tortilla, to Swedish Meatballs. There is something for every taste and palette. Each recipes has information of the origin of the recipe, nutritional facts, ingredients, and instructions.
Famous Dishes from Around the World

I am a cook from a long line of good home cooks; I even owned a specialty food store at the turn of the millennium. I have several issues with this book. Since it purportedly contains recipes from all over the world, I'm curious why the author chose to write it in both Spanish and English; I wonder if it was to pad the page count since there are not that many recipes. If it were solely full of recipes from Spanish-speaking countries, I could understand why the author would want to do this. As it stands, I found it a little distracting to have both English and Spanish versions of the same recipes.

As a cook, I thought that some of the ingredient amounts were wrong. As a person who has some familiarity with different types of ethnic cooking, I found the recipes rather basic (and most would be well known to any good cook), I thought she used ingredients in some recipes that were inappropriate for the given culture. While there were plenty of photographs, they weren't the best quality, and I don't think that they were actually photos of the recipes in the book. I noted some ingredients in the photos were not in the recipe, and some recipe ingredients did not appear to be in the photos. There are so many wonderful ethnic cuisine cookbook out there that I think this one should be given a pass.
Lovely variety of dishes from around the world. Great colourful pictures of each dish. Good instructions. Would recommend.
This book had some really nice looking dishes included in the recipes. I can't wait to go to the store and get what I need to start making some of these with my kids.
What a great cookbook! The material is well written and presented in an easy to follow manner. I look forward to trying out several of these recipes.
This book is beautifully laid out, with masses of colour and photos of each dish. The recipes are presented in both English and Spanish which I enjoyed as I’m trying to improve my Spanish vocabulary.  There’s a double page spread for each recipe, one completely in English, the other n Spanish.

The recipes are varied and reflect cuisine from many different areas. Fish curry, satay, lasagne with turkey, Irish stew, Quiche Lorraine, Mexican corn and chicken. The ingredients and method are easy to follow, with most recipes using easy to source ingredients. Every recipe has a little information box with a bit of background pad to the dish which I found interesting.

I have the ebook which looks great on a tablet. I imagine the hard copy is quite impressive. Suitable for cooks of any ability as there’s nothing too complicated.  My thanks to the publisher for a review copy via Netgalley.
When I got this book from netgalley, I found the pics great. They are bright and you really want to make the recipe. However, I found out that the pics are stock pictures and not the actual recipe pics. It would have been way better with original pics. Since I like to cook and even better like to cook international, this book is written for me. I don't mind the 2 languages in this book, I haven't seen it either out there. I also like that the ingredients are easily worldwide to get. And even better it is with healthier options than normal.