Cover Image: Their Little Secret

Their Little Secret

Thank you NetGalley and Grove Atlantic for the eARC.
This 16th in the Tom Thorne series, I was so happy to get back into Tom's company, he's one of my favorites.  The other 2 main characters,  Nicola Tanner and Phil Hendricks, are also very likeable.
However, the 2 murderers they end up looking for are not likeable at all...they are an extremely scary duo.  One of them is certifiable and the other one gets totally drawn into their psychotic relationship.  They both commit acts they would probably never have done had they not met...folie a deux!
It's a very good mystery, as usual, with an ending that quite shocked me.
I've read every one in the series and it's in my top 10.
The only thing that niggled a bit was the dog in the story.  To me it made no sense having it (the dog had no name and we don't know if it's a male or female) in the story, it just struck me as odd, but other than that it's, as usual, a highly recommend read.
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

An excellent police procedural, with lots of material from the point of view of the criminals as the police close in on them. It is hard to write about this without spoiling the plot, but the various strands and viewpoints come together fairly quickly and the story is chilling without dwelling unduly on grim details. The characterization was generally good and the pace was fast, especially in the first half.

There were developments in the on-going story of Tom and Nicola's personal lives, which I would have appreciated more if I could remember the terrible thing that they and Phil did in the last book. For what it's worth Helen is well shot of Tom; I've never read about some one so lukewarm about his relationships.

I'm deducting a point for the utter unlikelihood

SPOILERS

of being able to pretend for weeks at a time that you are meeting your child at the school gates when you don't have one. The other parents would expect to see your child and for theirs to have played with yours at playtime etc. Also, you can't just walk into a school unchallenged.

Otherwise, gripping. Looking forward to the next instalment.
I love the Tom Thorne novels and anxiously await a new book in the series, but this book left me disappointed. The story centers around a man who swindles women out of their money, leaving them of sometimes commit desperate acts. Enter Throne, who is investigating what appears to be the suicide of a woman who threw herself in front of a train. He’s able to figure out how the woman was cheated and sets out to find the cad before he can strike again. Meanwhile the con man hooks up with a woman who will show him that he picked the wrong gal this time. I just could not get into this story, it almost felt like someone other than Billingham had written it, Thorne was not his usual acerbic self. The only fail in an otherwise fantastic series
Thankyou to NetGalley, Grove Atlantic, Atlantic Monthly Press and the author, mark billingham, for the opportunity to read an advanced readers copy of Their Little Secret in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
OMG! OMG! OMG! What a storyline!!!!
Firstly, I am a Mark Billingham fan. I love his writing style. There are always unexpected curve balls thrown at you within the storyline. It is the unpredictability that I relish. Their Little Secret delivered this in spades.
By far, his best book yet.
Definately worth a read.