HE WILL KILL YOU

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2019

WARNING: Extreme physical and mental abuse, graphically written. May not be for everyone.

Grace is living a nightmare ... she's practically a prisoner in her own home. Her husband is extremely abusive. controlling, manipulating, violent, and gruel. When he leaves for work, he locks her arm in a vise, day after day after day. He throws punches that would knock out most men. He kicks, he slaps, he punches.

Grace is planning her escape and if her husband finds out, he will kill her.

Detective Maddie Ives knows Grace. She's been to her house several times, but Grace never opens up about what she's enduring. She tells Grace, keep a diary of the abuse, take pictures of her bruises in order to one day send her husband to prison.

Meanwhile, Maddie has her hands full with other cases. First of all, there's the car bomber who is randomly placing bombs underneath cars. But is it truly random.

DI Harry Blaker returns in time to get the word that he needs to investigate a possible blackmailer. The victim is a VIP and he was seduced in taking some inappropriate selfie of himself to send to an anonymous woman online.

What's the connection? Maddie is going to have to find out or more people are going to die.

This is an extremely well written crime fiction. The author is himself a serving UK detective investigating serious offenses. Due to his experience, the story is credible with characters that are finely drawn and memorable. It's a nail biter from beginning to end with every page filled with non-stop action.

Many thanks to the author / Joffe Books / Books n All Promotions / Netgalley for the advanced digital copy of this page turner. Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Great book will be reading other books by this author.
Will also recommend this book to others.
Great read! 5***
Difficult at times to read because of the horrible spousal abuse suffered upon Grace but a good police procedural as Detective Madeline tries to help Grace escape her husband and solve some mysterious bombings one of which just happens to kill Grace's husband. Some twists that I didn't expect to happen either towards the ending. I enjoyed the relationship between Madeline and her police partner Harry Bleaker also and hope to read more about them.
A gripping and intense read. I was very excited to start this one since the blurb had fascinated me.

It was an easy book to read, the characters were interesting and I wanted to know more about them, the more the story went on.
I would recommend this book to my friends!
From the beginning until the last page I was hooked. The subject was distasteful to say the least. I have read quite a few domestic noir books but this one WOW WOW WOW. I have to admit that this book was hard reading but I was compelled to keep on on reading. The brutal and vivid descriptions of what Grace suffered at the hands of her partner were very graphic, abhorrent, heartbraking and very emotional. This book made me cry, hold my breath, shout and at times stop reading. This book chilled me to the bone and as for twist it just BLEW ME AWAY.
There is also a letter explaining that victims of domestic abuse are not alone. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. TELLING SOMEONE IS THE FIRST STEP. This author has done it again and is one of my favourites. I also admire this author for dealing with this subject matter and not sugar coating it. Thank you Charlie.
I would like to thank the author, Joffre Books and Netgalley for the advanced copy in return for giving an honest review.
In a world where we are finally becoming more aware of the darker side of life happening behind closed doors this book takes us even closer to the horror which is an everyday nightmare for many.

Grace Hughes is a victim of domestic abuse, she knows it but struggles to turn the courage it takes to even dream of a different future into an ability to leave, or ask for help. Detective Sergeant Maddie Ives also knows she is in danger but until something happens is powerless to offer anything other than advice.

Delighted when her partner returns after being injured in their first case together Maddie finds Harry Blaker as gruff as ever but still on her side as she helps him find a ruthless killer and try to untangle a complicated blackmail case.

It is clear from the beginning that Charlie Gallagher knows what he writes about. Even the smallest observation has an authenticity about it which elevates his crime fiction into a class of its own. The helplessness of Grace and Maddie in dealing with the dangers of domestic abuse comes across loud and clear and the details are so original and horrific they can only be from the mind of someone who has witnessed this evil first hand. The heirarchy of the police force, the gallows humour, the camaraderie, are written in such a way that they slip into place as the norm, which, I imagine, for Mr Gallagher they are. It is only after you put the book down you realise the storyline needs no interdepartmental bickering or back-stabbing to add atmosphere,  it is all there already in the everyday lives of these officers.

I was able to read an advanced copy of this book thanks to Netgalley and the publishers in exchange for an unbiased review and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a first class, original take on the crime genre. I am delighted this book was obviously not the end of the road for Harry and Maddie; I can't wait for book number three.
Thank you NetGalley and Joffe Books for this arc.

This is the second Maddie Ives book and while I adored the 1st one,  this just wasn't quite the same.  A very good read, familiar characters with most of the usual give and take between them, but the pacing felt a little off for me.  It just seemed to take forever for all the threads to come together....  and at the end, it still felt like there was more than one loose thread (or dropped stitch) in the knitted pattern.   How was Tony killed?  What about Vince?   For all the horrific experiences Grace suffered, her strength and determination felt off as well....  it was there when the story needed it but disappeared when it didn't.

3.5 stars rounded up.
From the onset let me tell you this book contains a strong domestic violence theme throughout the book. Gallagher’s main point throughout the book is that if you are a victim of domestic violence, tell someone. Make sure you know you can get help, but most importantly he wants you to get yourself safe.

He WIll Kill You starts off with a bang and takes you on a roller coaster ride until the very end. Before Detective Sergeant Maddie Ives can help Grace out of a dangerous situation a car bomb goes off. Chaos ensues and you cannot put this book down.

Well done, excellent read. Highly recommend.
He Will Kill You is the first novel in the Detective Maddie Ives series by bestselling author and former police officer Charlie Gallagher; it's yet another highly entertaining, twisty and tension-filled read from him. There is plenty of action and a lot of violent behaviour throughout but not enough to be offputting. Once again the believability is there in terms of police procedure as Gallagher uses his former job to inform his work and make it as realistic as possible. That said, some of the happenings do require a hefty suspension of disbelief. However, if you can overlook that aspect you're in for a thrilling experience. After all, what is fiction for if not to escape from reality for a time?

Many thanks to Joffe Books for an ARC.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Joffe Books for an advance copy of He Will Kill You, the second novel to feature DS Maddie Ives of the Canterbury police.

Maddie is busy with CID work when DI Harry Blaker returns to work part time after the injuries he sustained in their previous case so, at a loose end, he takes an interest in her cases, notably trying to protect Grace Hughes from her abusive partner and working out why recidivist burglar Toby Routledge wants not only to confess to his crimes but be locked up.

I thoroughly enjoyed He Will Kill You which is a fast paced, high octane, tense thriller which grabs attention from the first page and never lets up. The novel opens with a bang, literally, when a car is blown up in a tunnel. The narrative is tense and gripping and really caught my attention. The second chapter sets the scene of a young woman threatening a receiver of stolen goods to recover war medals, again intriguing and the third chapter focuses on Grace and a domestic violence call out. This is a great piece of writing which depicts the fear and menace of the situation and police helplessness in the face of victim denial. Three strands of investigation, all offering intriguing possibilities and inviting the reader in effortlessly. I would like to say that I read it in one sitting but I can’t as I had to put it down and walk away at times because of what was happening to Grace. It is a credit to Mr Gallagher’s writing that I got so involved with Grace’s character and felt her pain, stress and anxiety. The violence is horrific but probably very realistic. Grace, however, is keeping a secret and what a twist it turns out to be, linking all the disparate strands together. Is the totality of the plot realistic? Probably not, but who cares when it’s such an exciting read?

Maddie Ives is definitely growing on me. In this novel she has grown into a caring, professional detective who is a little cavalier with the rules when they offend her humanity but it makes her a better protagonist. Her personal life takes a turn in the novel but it brings her closer to the gruff, not as uncaring as he seems DI Harry Blaker.

He Will Kill You is a great read with a twist as good as the vaunted “massive” so I have no hesitation in recommending it.
I’d like to thank Joffe Books and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘He Will Kill You’, the second in the DS Maddie Ives series written by Charlie Gallagher, in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

DS Maddie Ives is in contact with Grace who’s being abused by her husband Craig Dolton. The violence he’s meting out to her is escalating but she won’t report him to the police as she says she has a plan to escape.  Following instructions from Maddie, Grace is keeping a diary of her abuse and using her mobile phone to photograph every injury she receives, but can Maddie persuade her to leave Craig before he kills her?

After reading the first in the DS Maddie Ives series I was delighted Joffe Books allowed me to read ‘He Will Kill You’ and I haven’t been disappointed.  It’s just as good, if not better, than the first with the likeable characters of Maddie and Blaker who make a good team, a gripping plot, suspense and tension, nerve-wracking twists and turns, and a shocking conclusion.  Add to this Maddie’s relationship with criminal Adam Yarwood and you get a truly sensational thriller which I can thoroughly recommend.
He Will Kill You is the second book in the DS Maddie Ives series by Charlie Gallagher and it is another fast paced police procedural with a couple of excellent twists at the end.

The story picks up a few months after the first book but don't worry this can be read as a standalone as there is sufficient backstory to enable the new reader to follow and understand.

The author deals with the main storyline in a sympathetic way which also adds to the book

Overall thoroughly recommended.
Maddie Ives #2

Grace Hughes is effectively a prisoner in her own home. Tortured and controlled by her horrifically violent partner, she dreams of freedom, safety and happiness. Detective Maddie Ives now works with a team specialising in getting abused women to safety. She tells Grace to keep a dairy, write everything down until it forms part of the compelling evidence needed to send her abuser to prison. Maddie also faces a car bomber who threatens to strike again.  DI Harry Blaker returns from injury. Can he and Maddie stop the bomber, find the killer and get Grace safe?

Maddie and her team are under pressure to get Graces partner away from her abuser and also to catch the bomber. There is a lot going on in this book. I liked how the stories were seedlessly sewn together. The story is well written and fast paced. There are parts of the book that might upset the reader. This is turning out to be another great series.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Joffe Books and the author Charlie Gallagher for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
There are parts of this book that are difficult to read - and for all the right reasons.  Charlie Gallagher uses his knowledge as a policeman to describe the domestic abuse suffered by one of the main characters.  The story is good, interesting and very readable.  The second case for Harry & Maddie - I, personally, hope that there'll be more.

Really enjoyed it.
This book was very suspenseful and enjoyable. I liked the premise behind it and it often had me on the edge of my seat. The characters are intriguing and leave the reader questioning their actions and agendas.
I'm writing this to give feedback to the publisher in return for their kindness in sharing the review copy-I won't be publishing it elsewhere.

I have given the book three stars, which in my terms means a solid effort. The English is good, with just a few points I would have picked-on had I been editing it. Some of the dialogue is overtly, and unnecessarily, expositional, but not excessively so. There is a good balance between action, dialogue and description; and much of the detail described seems authentic.

I have two main reservations about the book, one being subjective and one technical.

Subjectively, I thought the book relied too heavily on extreme violence as a source of tension.. It could have been dialled down without losing its impact.

Technically, the book required too great an effort in the suspense of disbelief. I can accept a few implausibilities- this is fiction, after all- but there were too many. Much of the dialogue is convincing and natural, but in key scenes it became unrealistic.

That said, it was no different to an episode of Luther, so all-in-all an excellent job if that was the intended effect.