No Friend But the Mountains

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Boochani was placed in Manus prison as a refugee. Taking a boat from Indonesia, Boochani, originally from Iran, is rescued only to be imprisoned on this Australian Island. The author, who wrote the memoir in lyrical texts, survived the heinous conditions of being a prisoner without a crime. The other prisoners are brought to life with characterized Nick names. There is an uprising that reads like a Greek tragedy. The story of how the memoir came to be is as stirring as the memoir itself.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley
I really enjoyed this book. Those interested in biographies/Memoirs will  be interested in reading this book.  I rate this book 5 out of 5.  Generously provided by NetGalley.
I didn't expect No Friend But The Mountains to be a happy story, and it certainly wasn't. It's a lyrical account of one man's prison life complete with despair, hope, drama and complexity. It's not a light or easy read, but if you can read this book, it's worth your time. This story is different from other similar stories. Actually, it's refreshingly honest and shocking. I enjoyed this one. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
A fascinating biography. "No Friend But the Mountains" is a must-read. I"ll be recommending this one to our patrons.
Oh man - I almost stopped this one multiple times. It took me 4x as long as it normally takes me to finish a book. Not because it was bad, but because it was just that heavy and difficult to read. I wanted to love it - it's such an important work, and beautifully written. The author narrarates his experience as an immigrant (from Iran to Australia) imprisoned on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea. Before reading this, I had no idea of the plight of immigrants to Australia (the prison has since been declared illegal, although the author remains on the island). It's harrowing and incensing. It was just so heavy, and honestly repetitive at homes, that I didn't love the overall read. At first I was planning to give this 2 stars for my own level of enjoyment, then I realized that I wasn't supposed to enjoy this book. At all. I was supposed to be uncomfortable and trudge through. I'm rounding up to the 3 for literary achievement and cultural necessity. Really, everyone should read this book at some point.