The Power of Jesus' Names

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 May 2019

This book is a powerful and inspiring look at the meaning behind the names of Jesus, and how those names reflect on His power and rightful place as the Lord over our lives.  Although this book is very readable, I’m going to read it again to absorb everything that Tony Evans has shared.  It would make a great book for a class or small group discussion.  Highly recommend this book.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
This book gives you a deeper understanding of not only the names of Jesus, but who he is. And the power His children have available to them when speaking those names in certain circumstances. It is well written and easy to understand even for those who are new to Christianity.
As you read through this book (set up much like his book on God), you will develop an understanding of who Jesus is, and not just His time on Calvary. Through these names (and there are plenty more), you learn the depth of Jesus's character, in the hope you will develop a closer and more intimate relationship with Him, when you finished. I know I did.
The Power of  Jesus Names is written by  Tony Evans.  He is a  well respected pastor  of a very large  church in Texas.   He   helps the reader to understand  Jesus  character  by understanding His names.   He  explains  what the name  means and then applies the name to   the   person's life. The  reader will   feel a closer  identification with  Jesus after  reading this book. The   aspects of  Jesus  character in the book are : Immanuael,  lamb of  God,, Great High Priest,   Beginning and the End, The Great High Priest and the Son of God and  many other names. ,The   author   makes the book  very  personable and real to the reader.   He  uses  wonderful examples to  help the reader  connect with the name He is writing about.   I highly recommend this  book.   It  will draw the reader closer to the Lord.  Thank you to  netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review this  wonderful book.  I am posting my review on Goodreads, facebook, Amazon, my blog and  also  sharing  it with pastors.
No one has a way with words quite like Dr Tony Evans.  Every book I have ever read has left me with so much knowledge and fire for the kingdom.  If you are a fan of the Power of God's Names, or you just want a better understanding of the names of Jesus, this is a book for you.  There is such power in the words of this book!

Thank you NetGalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
In this book, Dr. Evans teaches the reader about 12 of the names of Jesus found in the Bible and how the meaning of those names and the actions of Jesus in the context of those names impact us as individuals and a church.  I believe Dr. Evans may be the best teaching pastor in the U.S.  He has a wonderful gift of teaching us the meaning of scripture using illustrations and analogies that help us understand our Savior better and draws us into a more intimate relationship with Him.  I've read several of Dr. Evans books, and I think this may be my favorite.  It is a book I read again and use as a reference for years to come.  By the way, if you ever in the Dallas area, make time to hear him preach in his home church, Oakcliff Bible Fellowship.  He, like this book, is wonderful.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harvest House Publishers for an advanced readers copy of this book in exchange for  my honest review.
The Power of Jesus' Names in one very powerful book! I have been a Christian since birth, and considered myself well-versed in the Scriptures, but Tony Evans' knowledge and use of Scriptures combined with his ability to clarify things made me see Jesus in a whole new light. WOW!!! Again I say WOW!!!

Evans clearly explains many of the names Jesus is called in Scriptures (both OT and NT), the reasoning behind the name, and how it shows different aspects of Jesus' character, authority, humanness and divineness. It is not a book to be read lightly or quickly. While it is easy to read and understand, Evans gives the reader much to think about. Having read it, I plan to read it again with a friend as a Bible study.

This is a fascinating and enlightening read for any Christian or anyone wanting to know more about Christianity. You will definitely want this book on your shelves!!

Many thanks to NetGalley and Harvest House Publishers for allowing me to read an ARC of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. All opinions expressed here are my own.
I usually see books on the names of God but very few if any have I come across regarding the names of Jesus. Tony Evans style of writing takes you into intimacy with God's Word through his use of scripture as well as challenging to think deeper about the scriptures he is using. One statement Tony Evans makes stuck with me through the entire book it was so simple yet so profound you really have to stop and mediate and try and comprehend what it meant for Jesus to be fully God and fully man. The statement is "What we had on the first Christmas morning was a baby in a manger who had created His own mother." Now I don't know if others reading this book will be hit hard by this statement there are many that will surely cause pause but that one statement was mine. Jesus, everything created through Him and for Him. This book is a book of understanding and reflection allowing you to truly look at not who you believe Jesus to be but Who He really is as shown in the Bible.
#ThePowerOfJesusNames #NetGalley @Harvest_House
The Power of Jesus’ Names
Tony Evans is a fine preacher and communicator, and there is no higher subject than the Names of Jesus. The Power of Jesus Names combines Evans’ illustrations and explanations to bring out the meanings of those names.
Evans says that the power in Jesus Names is available for us to tap into as believers. For instance, Immanuel means God with us. Evans explains that we are never alone, no matter what. The name Immanuel was introduced when the scripture spoke of Jesus coming to Earth to be with man.
To study the meanings of the names of Jesus is to open a new world of understanding the power and might of God: Creator, I AM, Banner of Victory, Lord our Shepherd, Lord of Hosts, Lord who is High and Mighty, and God Almighty. The list goes on. It will do you good to learn who your God is and how powerful he is!
I have watched a few of Tony Evans' bible studies online, so I was excited to read this book. It has been a great aid in lifting up Jesus in prayer while praying. It's something I have struggled with recently and this book has come at the right time.

I like how he broke down the more common biblical names and explained their importance., why and how we should use them.
"The Power of Jesus' Names" focused on 12 names used for Jesus found in the Old and New Testament: Immanuel, Alpha and Omega, our King, the Mighty Lamb, Great High Priest, Sovereign (and the other names from Isaiah 9:6 – wonderful Counselor, mighty God, eternal Father, Prince of Peace), I AM (plus I am the bread of life, the light of the world, the door, the good shepherd, the resurrection and the life, the way, the truth, and the life, the true vine, I am he), Lord, Jesus, Christ, Son of God and Son of Man, and the Word.

The author looked at the verses where each name is used (including places where the same or similar names are used for God in the Old Testament). He talked about the significance of these names and used analogies relevant to today to help illustrate their significance. He also explained how understanding these names for God is meaningful for and impacts our lives today. Overall, I'd recommend this book.
I have been trying the study the bible this year and love reading books that can help me understand it better. The Power of Jesus' Names is a book that is really helping me to learn the history of all of them names that Jesus is known as. Tying it to scripture is really helping me. It will take me a while to get through this book but I will recommend it to people who wish to study Jesus.
In his latest book, The Power of Jesus' Names, author and Bible teacher Tony Evans addresses both the power in Jesus' positions and the power in His person.  This study of the names of Jesus includes:  Immanuel, Alpha and Omega, King, Lamb of God, Great High Priest, and Sovereign, as well as I Am, Lord, Jesus, Christ, Son of God, Son of Man, and Word.  Evans sticks to Scripture, helping readers to understand the nuances and history behind each name and how Jesus embodies each name.  It's an easy, though heavy read, and it may take some time to really read and study through each chapter if you really want to understand who Jesus is at a heart level and not just an intellectual level.  It's a good read, but I would appreciate it more if it were laid out in a Bible study format with questions to answer and then commentary following to help you sum up what you learned.  Still, it's a good, biblical treatment of the topic, so it's hard to go wrong with this one.