Eighteen Below

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 May 2019

This was an excellent read. Not something I would usually pick up but It had me hooked from the outset and throughout. Will be keeping an eye out for more in the future.
This is the third book in the Fabian Risk detective series but the first one I’ve read. It works well as a standalone but I’d recommend reading the first two books before hand as I was a little lost when it came to some of the character’s histories. Risk is a Swedish detective who has suffered his fair share of trauma, but nothing prepares him for his latest case. It’s densely plotted, but the villain of the piece is unique in that he manages to disguise his face as well as his appearance in order to take over his victim’s lives. It’s a chilling premise and one that works really well in this book. Fabian’s son, Theodor, is also a central character. His teen angst and girl problems leading him to something more sinister as he finds himself hurtling towards trouble.

There’s a lot going on in this book. There’s a few different plot lines which slowly thread together. As I mentioned above, readers would definitely benefit from starting this series at the beginning as while there’s a fair bit of exposition, Fabian is part of a big team and there’s a lot of names and characters getting thrown around. I really enjoyed reading this book and my only criticism is some parts seemed slightly fantastical and I’m not 100% convinced about the author’s ability to write from a female perspective. Those niggles aside, this is an excellent addition to the already strong Scandi-Noir canon and I’m certainly looking forward to delving deeper into this series.

I received a ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for a fair review.
I haven't read any of this talented author's books before, so I was pleasantly surprised to be adding another new favorite author to the never ending list!!
Recommended.
I am not really a ScandiNoir person and don't usually get on with Scandinavian literature - too dark and mysterious writing as a rule. But not this one. This novel was a major surprise to me and I thought really interesting.
Well written and with twists and turns you cannot guess until you read it.
Yes, you get some hints from the blurb but still the story surprises you and intrigues you, and you keep on reading until you get to the end and the final denouement. The plot was ingenious and well thought through.
I shall look for this author again.
I couldn't get into this story but I haven't read the previous two books in the series. I found it difficult to follow the two threads in the story
This was an outstanding read and my first experience of Stefan Ahnhem’s writing. I really did struggle to put this novel down. The plot is extremely well put together with intriguing sub-plots/side stories. It opens with a car being driven into a harbour in what the police assume is a suicide, until the post-mortem reveals the body has been frozen. Soon more bodies begin to appear and it is down to Fabian Risk and his, entertainingly dysfunctional, police team to discover what is going on. I haven’t read the previous books featuring Risk but I don’t believe I was at a disadvantage.

This is a fast paced story which really ramps up the tension and suspense. I enjoyed the complexity of the various plot lines and the ending certainly makes me want to read the next in the series and go back to the previously published novels. One tiny gripe and I am no prude; that sex scene really wasn’t necessary, it added nothing to the storyline.

If you like Scandi-noir, particularly Jo Nesbo and Stig Larsson, I think you’ll love this.

Thank you to NetGalley and Head of Zeus for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
With a start which hooked me straight away and following chapters feeling like unwrapping a chain of very interesting surprises.  This is definitely one of my favourites for 2019.
I found all of the characters to be very interesting.  Hougaard desperate to return to her former glory in the police force, Tuvesson chief of the crime squad using alcohol to cope after her divorce and Risk struggling to cope with two teenagers and a wife making a new life for herself.
Greide is the pathologist covering for his hapless colleague when the body of a supposed crash victim comes into the morgue. He discovers something which beggars belief ie a body frozen two months earlier was driving the vehicle which entered the water. Even stranger is a real estate agent claims to have dealt with the dead man after his death.  If events werent strange enough a woman is found wandering the street covered in blood.   Can police pull the clues together in time to save their families and their colleagues?
Super, thumbs up thriller translated from Swedish is the second in the Fabian Risk series where a psychopathic mastermind is one jump ahead of the police. Loved this up to the very last word and give full marks to the author.   I finished this story on a long haul flight back to Australia and got a little confused between the characters.  That is more likely to be attributed to tiredness than any fault of the writer.  Also I didn’t realise I also had the first book in the series till after finishing 18 Below so it will be read in reverse order.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for a free digital copy in return for an honest review.
Sometimes you read a book in a series and feel that you're missing something because you haven't read the previous ones in the series- this was one of those books. There seemed to be almost a presumption that the reader would have read the others that preceded it first as there wasn't much background or introduction to the main characters. I also felt that there was too much going on, and perhaps, had lost something in translation as it was difficult to follow at times. Once I got into the book I thought the storyline was good. Perhaps if I read it again after I've read the others in the series I'll find it a better read.
Thankyou to NetGalley,  Head of Zeus and the author,  Stefan Ahnhem, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of Eighteen Below in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I have read every book written by this author and have never been able to pick the ending.  This book is no exception.
The storyline was well thought out and written with well developed characters and a rollercoaster plot that will keep you intrigued until the end.
Well worth a read.
Unfortunately I have found this book quite confusing. I am only half way through but I am not sure what is happening so I have decided not to finish it. I have found it a bit of a chore to read. I have read other feedback and think it is probably just me and not the actual story at fault as other readers seem to enjoy it.
Good thriller never quite sure which way it’s going to turn. Enjoyed it and didn’t want to put it down
Terrifying, unputdownable and full of twists and turns, this stunning thriller will have you on the edge of your seat right to the very last page.
A good read with lots going on. This is the third in a series, which I was unaware of when I began to read it, but I don't feel this took anything away from the reading experience.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is the third book in a series. I read it without reading the others. The story starts off with a member of a police squad heading into work and finding herself in a car chase that ends with the suspect car driving into a river. Her team take the case when the coroner finds that the recovered body had been frozen and couldn't have been driving the car. The team find that someone is taking the identities of people and liquidating their assets before moving onto the next victim. Meanwhile there's another thread to the story involving a the beating to death of homeless people. The two threads intersect via the family of one of the detectives on the case. All in all, I enjoyed the story and will probably seek out the other books.
When I started this book I had no idea that it was a third part in a series. I was able to read and follow it, though, so it could be a stand alone. The book itself was pretty good. The plot was interesting or should I say plots! Every character seemed to have a subplot that could have developed into an entire book on its own. I’m  it really sure how they all fit together into one book, and (in this book) they were never fully resolved. I’m not sure where the girls and the seance come into play. I’m not sure where the smiley faced killers fit in. And, I’m assuming, the cross dressing cop murder will be the next book in the series. These subplots make the book unnecessarily long.
All in all, the book, and the Fabian Risk plot was decent. He also has some subplots going on: his job, his wife, his kids.
The main plot involving a car crash which turns out to be a man that had died months early and was actually frozen was very interesting. More murders ensue and each time the bodies are frozen. This plot was gripping and thrilling. Although, the chapters were scattered in between each of the other characters’ subplots.
Although I really enjoyed this book I think I would have enjoyed it more had I read the earlier books in the series. It was very different to English crime novels and that added intrigue and a different slant to the story. There were lots of threads running through the novel which added interest and twists. The overall concept was genius and I would like to start again with the earlier books.
This book is very good, very different, with a rather interesting plot.  It can get a bit gory, but it is still a very good read.  My only criticism of these Scandi type novels, is that you have no idea of the names whether they belong to a male or a female.  Brilliant stuff nontheless.  I did feel that it all unravelled a little bit at the end.  Not quirte sure how Sonya get to where she was at the end, or did I miss something?
Diese Reihe ist packend und spannend und nicht mehr aus der Hand zu lesen. Zudem ist der Stil so gefällig, als wenn der Autor auf meiner Bettkante sitzt und mir etwas vorliest. Ganz großartig! Charaktere, plot und story sind überzeugend und  machen ein großes Kopfkino lebendig.
Scandinavian noir at its best, dark, complex, compelling, full of twists and turns and a breathtaking final third as Astrid Tuvesson, Fabian Risk and a team of detectives hunt for a serial killer (or is it killers?) involved in an identity theft plot with frightening levels of violence. A second thread sees horrendous videos posted on YouTube by a group of "happy slappers" in which Fisk's own son Theodor is implicated. This is book #3 in the Fabian Risk series, something I was unaware of when accepting this ebook from the publishers, Head of Zeus. A pity as there are clearly events in Risk's past that impact on his present demeanour. Nevertheless, Eighteen Below can be read as a standalone. It's a lengthy read - but well worth the time.
Eighteen Below is an intriguing story , it starts with the Police Chief coming in to work in her car( a little under the weather due to a drink problem) when another driver clips her wing mirror , so she gives chase and the driver of the other car drives straight into the sea . Straight forward you may think until after the body is recovered the pathologist says the body has been frozen for 2 months .He is identified but there are people who have seen him alive in the days before. What follows is a riveting tale about Identity Fraud and a serial killer who has operated for a number of years ,t become apparent there are 2 perpetrators as both male and female identities have been stolen and bodies found . There is also another storyline running through the book about a "Happy Slapping " style of murders of homeless people which is being filmed and put on Social Media by a group of teenagers . Both of these stories end up close to home for one of the Investigators Fabian who is going through a divorce and is looking after his 2 teenage children . A thoroughly enjoyable read .