Cover Image: How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t with Your Kids

How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t with Your Kids

A lot of useful advice. I actually really liked the way the author wrote so that probably made it more enjoyable. Took me forever to read because I always take long with nonfiction. It was a lot to process and take in while also trying to put it into practice.
Such a helpful book for raising children. As a mom of three young boys I was encouraged when reading this book. It gives practical tools to stop losing it towards the people you love most. Highly recommend.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for my opinions.
There is a lot of repetition and not needed information in this book, but there is also a very good summary on less than 10 pages in the end, which I wish I read instead of the whole book, as there was little to no new information for me there.
In a nutshell, you should make sure you have enough sleep, exercise, manage stress, and notice when you lose it - that's basically all.
This book is  everything you already know you should be doing but dang, being a good parent is hard work. Ha ha. Just kidding. The author goes out of her way to assure us that we don’t need to be perfect; we just need to be more introspective and address our own issues. It does help a lot to stop and say, “wait a minute, where is this coming from?”  This is a book that I would probably refer back to again, and I wish I had some kind of parenting book club to go along with this book.  Four stars because the writing style is a little off-putting— very “hey, guys, I’m just like you!”
This book made me feel better about myself as a parent, gave me real tips I can use, and made me laugh! One of the better parenting books that I have read!
It's probably bad to say that a 200 page book felt way too long, but that's how I felt while reading this book. At times it felt like there was just filler and could have easily been cut down. The reason this bothers me is that as a parent, when I'm reading a parenting book, I don't want the filler like I might in a novel for entertainment. I just want the information to improve my parenting and move on to actually implementing that information.

Despite being longer than needed, I felt like the author did have some good points. Everything she said to help with "losing your shit" seemed like common sense, but was a good reminder. Especially since when you are in the middle of losing your temper you can often forget simple things like breathing or noticing you're exhausted. I also liked how she was very personable in her writing and didn't make me feel bad as a parent because I can lose my temper with my kids. She affirms the parent while still saying that something needs to be done to do better in the future. I did get a couple good ideas out of this book, but it definitely wasn't the best parenting book I've read. It falls somewhere in the middle.
This book is great for parents who lose their wits with their kids sometimes. I love that it gave practical advise and as I was reading it, I didn't feel judged at all. The author speaks on the importance of self-care and how you can identify what triggers your negative reactions to how you handle a difficult child. She gives practical tips that can help preventing meltdowns from your littles.
Loved loved loved this book! For every busy mom this book gave you bite sized chapters filled with practical knowledge and tips to implement in those moments when parenting gets crazy. I underlined and wrote down so many things and will be recommending this book to all my mom friends!
This is frank and practical advice for parenting in a culture of extreme pressure and critique. I identifying triggers especially goes a long way toward staying calm.
This book is everything I have wanted in a parenting book since I realized that my children can be annoying.  I didn’t understand WHY I was so mad anyhow to avoid the adult meltdown. But, most books are prescriptive and holier than thou OR tells you to pay for a massage which is not a common option for middle class families. THIS BOOK IS NOT THOSE THINGS. It’s honest, raw, and boils down all the data and strategies for peaceful parenting in a digestible and approachable manner. I will read this book over and over. (ARC via Netgalley/opinions are mine).
Lots of good info about why parents lose it with our kids, what is triggering us, and practical steps to take to decrease our frequency of losing it. There are ideas of how to get out of a moment when you're in it, and what to do to afterwords if you can't stop. I liked this and feel like it had a bunch of tips and ideas I can implement.
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Parenting has evolved so much in these recent years. I've read my fair share of parenting books because who doesn't want to raise a well behaved angel?? I love this one because it's not just about what causes the tantrums in your child; it's about recognizing your own triggers so you don't lose your cool. I love the honesty in the experiences shared in the writing and I especially love the witty prose!
Finally, a parenting book that doesn't mince words (I mean, the title alone kind of says it all!), isn't judgy or shaming, and offers doable, practical advice with a splash of humor. As a parent, I found this book to be helpful and really appreciated the author's authenticity and hilarity (if you like potty humor or joking about gas among other things, or if you're used to people who live with you thinking gas and poop is funny, then you'll think the author's humor is funny too). Parenting can be so freaking hard sometimes, and Naumburg normalizes this and takes the shame out of the job. She's right, we are so not alone, and this book embodies that reminder.

As a clinical social worker who provides family therapy and trainings to groups of people on psychological trauma, Naumburg's description of the stress response and our capacity to regulate our parasympathetic nervous system is the most approachable and relatable I've ever seen. She takes tricky and complicated topics, and entertainingly breaks them down into very simple to understand concepts, and helps the reader to feel that change really is attainable. The book provides a number of concrete, doable strategies to keep our shit together more often, and the author frames every strategy in real parenting life terms.

In short, if you're a parent, or someone who knows a parent, and/or someone who loses their shit once in a while, I think this book is a worthy read. I want to give away copies to all of my friends who are parents, and will definitely have copies on display for families I see professionally to borrow. And, finally, thanks to this book, Shama Lama Ding Dong is my new favorite mantra, and Perfection Can Suck It is a close second.
I wish I had this book when my older two kids were in elementary school! Luckily, teens (and their younger sibling) frequently push buttons so there is some helpful, practical advice here, whatever the ages of your children. In reading the book, I felt like I was hearing from an empathetic friend--someone who "gets it". I appreciated the author's conversational and knowledgeable tone.

We all have stress. We all have triggers. We all have different things people do that push our buttons--especially our kids. What I liked here is that it's a process, we shouldn't judge ourselves too harshly or continuously ruminate on what we've done wrong--we need to up our curiosity, noticing, and general mindfulness. I liked the advice of doing just one thing at a time (not multitasking)--unless we notice we're handling more than one thing well. It's also good to remember that our kids are watching our behavior--if we're losing our sh*t, they're learning that as well. This book has good tips for breaking those cycles--and recommends seeking further and additional help, if necessary.

As much as my kids are older, I feel like the content is widely applicable to situations beyond parenting. In fact, differently from other parenting books I've read, I feel like this was more of a "how to be in the world" book rather than "how to be a....parent" book. True, we don't often lose our sh*t with strangers, but this is a good way to deal with all different types of situations where we feel something or someone is pushing our buttons.

Thank you to NetGalley for an early copy in return for an honest review!
There are so many books out there on how to parent better and with less stress but finally a simple and to the point method that actually works and does not take long to read and digest.  A perfect blend of personal narrative and approachable guidance backed by clear logic that gets results.  I feel calmer already and in reality if my stress is reduced, so is everyone else’s and there is a lot less shit to lose!
I swear this book was written just for me. I thought I was going to be this cool, calm, fun loving, go with the flow mom and boy did that turn out to be further from the truth. I yell, a lot. I've officially turned into my mother. I am still go with the flow, but man do I ever lose my shit. This book gives real tangible advice and it was enjoyable to read. That is rare for a parenting book from my prospective. Thank you, NetGalley, for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!
I like how Carla explains that being a good parent doesn't mean you don't ever lose it with your kids. And she explains how we're actually wired as humans to lose it every once in a while. She goes into depth about identifying triggers and the importance of self-care, and uses her own experiences as a mom to connect with  readers and let them know they're not alone. While I enjoyed the casual, conversational tone of the book, the constant use of the word sh*t and other acronyms (e.g. burp and fart) were a bit off-putting to me. Carla weaves mindfulness practices throughout the book and emphasizes the importance of being accepting and present in the moment. Although it sometimes feels like she's trying to cover every possible scenario and solution, there's a lot of good information in the book that will be helpful to parents looking for support.
Loved the no-nonsense language of the book, as well as the advice itself. As a mom, I loved the book, and as a librarian and friend, I'll be recommending it to every parent I know!
Despite the silly title, this book is full of practical and serious tips to keeping your cool. The author has clearly lived it, as every single thing in this book resonated with me! She discusses why we lose "it", such as overcommitting to things, distractions by our phones, and how multitasking is making us crazy. She also explains that children will not change overnight and that even though their behavior makes us crazy, the parent needs to change their response. She gives very specific examples of ways to find what sets you off and what to do to reduce the probability of it happening again. This was so incredibly insightful, practical and helpful! I would recommend to all parents, even those who don't "lose it" often!

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
Review 2 for #reviewathon. This book wasn't bad. It just wasn't anything ground breaking or original. Same old advice I've read in dozens of parenting books: Sleep More, use your phone less, find support.  Just with some humor thrown in, and lots of swears. I am quite weary of the word "trigger/triggered" lately and this book uses it right about to death.  There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of research to backup this advice either, mostly it seems to be what the author thinks worked for her.  I was hoping for something a bit more researched and original.