Cover Image: Once Upon a Bad Boy

Once Upon a Bad Boy

I love this author and this book did not disappoint! 2nd chance love stories are my jam. Sadie and Bo were absolutely adorable. I loved everything about it! Thank you to netgalley for the ARC!
Bo and Sadie were childhood sweethearts who came from seemingly different worlds. Bo’s father worked for Sadie’s wealthy grandparents and lived on their property. While Sadie was adored by her grandparents, she was neglected by her selfish socialite parents. On the other hand, Bo grew up in a close and loving family. Sadie believed that their differing circumstances were workable, but Bo didn’t and broke up with an eighteen year old Sadie. Eleven years later, they meet again. The connection is still there, but can years of pain and buried secrets be worked through.

Once Upon a Bad Boy is the third book in a series. The heroines in each book are members of a close group of friends. The heroines in the first two books found the loves of their lives in Europe, while Sadie found hers at home in Chicago. While this book can be read as a standalone book, it was nice to catch up with the heroines from the earlier books in the series. I look forward to the next book. (Possibly Ana?)
The Sometimes in Love ladies are having amazing adventures.  Third in the series stars Blair, the television star, who re-meets her childhood sweetheart on the set of her first movie.  Bo is the stunt coordinator for the movie.  Blair and Bo were meant to be together even after all the years apart.  Although there is a bit of tension when they first get together on the movie set, they still seem to trust each other and work into a renewal of friendship fairly quickly.  That is what happens when you are still in love even with all of the bumps along the road.

There is still a lot old frustration that has to be worked through, but they do it well.  They, also, have an amazing and hot sex life.  Although the sensual parts were very well-written, I found myself skipping over some of it to get on to the heart of their romance.  When they were young and in love, they held nothing back.  This time they are being a little more cautious, but when it really counts they band together to protect each other.  Yes, there are a lot of hurt feelings and misunderstandings, but their love is stronger.

As the end of the book neared, the past reared its ugly head.  The past could, and would, have torn some couples apart.  Without revealing the details, I will say I was somewhat surprised by the difficult topic that was hidden all those years.  Melonie Johnson, obviously, has very strong feelings leaning a particular way.  Her stand may turn some of her readers off – I, personally, do not care either way.  She handled the situation carefully and with heart-felt feelings.

Ms. Johnson is great about keeping the ladies’ friendship together.  One of the ways these five ladies stay connected is through their Monday Margarita evenings.  Or, Sunday afternoon bike rides.  We met all of them in the first book of the series while they were vacationing in England.  Each book could be a stand alone, but I have enjoyed reading them in sequence, each unique and very enjoyable.

p.s. Isn't Bo described as having blonde hair?  On the cover, he has dark hair.
This is my first Melonie Johnson book and it won't be my last. I enjoyed the second chance story between Sadie and Bo! Sometimes love at a young age isn't enough and those two have such a different perspective now they are older. I loved that.

There is a subject in this book that made me dislike the heroine for a bit, but I admire her for her tenacity and how she faced her choices.
Sadie finally has the chance to prove she’s made it when she lands biggest role of her movie career. Until she discovers her childhood sweetheart is the stunt coordinator. Things didn’t end well between these two star-crossed lovers the first time and Sadie has worked hard to bury her feelings when it comes to Bo. But this unexpected second chance has Sadie wondering if fate is working her magic...and is the risk one Sadie’s willing to take?

Sadie was a tiny spitfire full of sass,  loyalty, and a heart full of gold! She wasn’t perfect by any means. She had her own insecurities and doubts too, but I liked how she owned her issues.

Bo was this sexy contradiction of strength and vulnerability. He lived with regrets, but worked hard to overcome them and find his niche in the world. I liked how his heritage played a big role in his viewpoint too. It served a purpose in explaining his perception on his relationship with Sadie and eventually the wedge that divided them.

Sadie and Bo’s second-chance romance slayed me...and pieced me back together again! I loved their journey of rediscovery, not just with each other, but also themselves. Growing up isn’t easy on a good day, and what these two knew at 18/19 was infinitely different at 30/31 years old.Their relationship was a firestorm of emotion and I liked how it gave a a richer perspective on the backstory story. Sadie and Bo’s story was slightly heavier then the first two books, especially when tackling some sensitive issues, but I think Johnson handled things quite well.

It’s not a secret I’ve fallen for Melonie Johnson’s writing style and her flair for words! I love her geeky side with movie references (yay for Stars Wars!) pop culture, and Shakespeare, but even more, I love the richness and depth of her characters. Whether its relatable trials and tribulations, the deep female friendships that need no reason to celebrate, or the charged romances that make you want a fan one minute-while melting your heart in the next- Johnson’s books have quickly become a favorite!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Swoonworthy - this book makes me swoon. I love Bo and Sadie; their journey to reconnecting and igniting their past is what dreams are made of. Sadie is a strong female character who doesn't hide her insecurities from the audience or her closest friend, Ana. Bo is a dreamy family man who shows honesty and passion equally. The story makes you want to find your childhood love and start over again!

My only criticism is that I feel the forgiveness/reunion conversation had so much build up but not a lot of meat. It went really quickly and I kept waiting for it to resurface so they could truly resolve the past. The ending was a bit of a surprise but played out nicely. They at least "had it out" over that conflict.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and could see myself picking it up again this summer for a fun, poolside read!