Cover Image: The Grey Sisters

The Grey Sisters

This was a very intriguing story.  Once I got into it, I really wanted to get to the end.  It revolves round a plane crash two years ago in which main character D's sister and Spider's brother were killed.  D wants to go back to the crash site for closure and she does taking Spider and her new friend Min with her.  Little do they know that there is a cult-like survivor group living on the mountain protecting it and stocking arms for future war.  Ariel is in the cult and she believes but is slowly having doubts about what they are doing and why.  Each chapter is narrated by a one of the main characters so several points of view tell the entire story.  Min is kidnapped by the cult.  Eventually D's group and Ariel meet and then the whole story takes an interesting turn.  Definitely kept me reading--interesting story and the characters were real and likeable.  Thanks so much to NG for the ARC!!!
Comparing this to the Cheerleaders and Sadie made it an instant-read for me, and I loved it! The mystery and suspense were well thought-out, and drawn out long enough to keep me interested the entire time.
THE GREY SISTERS was not what I was expecting it to be. I went into it ready for a fast-paced thriller that had me frantically flipping pages, but unfortunately, I found myself struggling to stay invested in D, Spider, Min, and Ariel's stories.

The story starts off following three girls—D, Spider, and Min—two of which have lost their siblings in a plane crash in the mountains. The crash happened two years ago, and D and Spider are finally ready to go to the site of the crash and sort of officially move on. We flip from the third person POV of all three girls to the first person POV of a girl who's living in the mountains. This strange shift in perspective was the first thing that kind of threw me, as it never quite made sense why three were told in third and one was told in first.

I really loved the worldbuilding of the mountains and found Ariel's culture extremely interesting in a certain type of way that I won't say any more about to keep from giving anything away. I also loved the relationship dynamic between D, Spider, and Min. There were also a couple of twists I didn't see coming and enjoyed. But I never really felt anything other than off and on kind of grossed/creeped out in a way that made me feel like I needed to take a shower. The pacing was super slow, which also contributed to my blah feeling toward the story, as I love a more plot-heavy, fast-paced story, and the ending kind of came out of nowhere to me and left me dissatisfied.

The writing and plot was by no means bad. This is the type of story that I feel definitely appeals to a certain type of reader, and unfortunately that type of reader wasn't me.

*Arc provided by NetGalley for an honest review.
It was an intriguing book premise, however I found the output was slightly lacking. The writing was rather enjoyable, but I would've enjoyed the further exploration of memories or even a little more world-building. I had trouble getting into it at first, as there was rapidly changing PoVs, but got used to it after some time.

This book certainly has potential, it just didn't draw me in as much as I hoped.

Rating: 3/5

(This review will feature on my blog on September 10!)
I felt like this book had SO MUCH potential. I could follow along just fine with the switching of narrative styles, but in the end the story line just fell. It wasn’t keeping my attention and I skimmed a lot.
I couldn't get into this book. Although the first chapter was intriguing, I didn't find the plotline compelling, there were parts that were a little too gruesome for me, the parts of the plotline that are about the survivalist community seemed unrealistic and based on stereotypes, and there wasn't fantastic continuity. I wouldn't recommend this book to other readers.
E-Arc provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book for what I've read so far was a bit average. The plot was nothing new and the characters were quite bland to my taste. Don't think I'll finish it.
Overall, this book was fine. The quickly changing POVs made it difficult to follow, but eventually I got the hang of it. Unfortunately, like a lot of YA mysteries, the ending wasn't too much of a surprise. This book was pretty dark and hits on some heavy themes. I really liked the characters and felt for them as they went through all the trials and tribulations. This book reminded me a lot of Sadie by Courtney Summers, which I also enjoyed, but didn't love.
This was an interesting story and I think those who adored Sadie would love this one.  For me the switching from First and Third person was very weird and it kept pulling it out of the story.  It really made the story at least for me feel very inconstant. The dialogue didn't leave me with much either.  Overall, this one just was not for me at all.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with the ARC. This was a very interesting premise! I thought there were very good parts if this story such as the writing, plot and the overall concept. The characters were hard for me to follow at times but overall this book had more pros than cons. I will definitely be reading more from this author in the future!
The premise of this novel was good! I was definitely intrigued about the idea of a plane crash and all of the characters playing a different role in how to affected them. Sadie was such an amazing book (I haven't read The Cheerleaders, another book it was compared to) so I couldn't wait to have another book that gave me the same feelings that one did. I thought this book would be creepy but also maybe have some grief resolution. But... there wasn't any.

These are always the reviews that I don't like to write. But... I just really didn't like this book at all. There need to be content warnings for animal abuse, kidnapping, cultist elements, sexual assault... yeah, that's a little too many content warnings for me. The book was "fine" until we met Ariel and that who storyline came into play. It was a weird story and it just didn't make sense. They didn't need to be there, it could've been something completely different without "Big Daddy" and the "Uncles" and all that weird stuff. I probably would've liked it more if it followed the original plot, which was the group of teens going to visit the crash site to get some closure. I had to sit for a second after I finished this and be like.... what did I just read? because it was confusing and I felt strange after finishing it. I would've DNFed it but it was so short I felt I needed to see it through. The only way this is like Sadie is the creepy old men factor.
This book did have many good parts. From very early on in the book, I had an inkling as to the outcome. I was correct so I wouldn’t say it was a “shocking” ending or a book with twists and turns.
At first, I had trouble getting into it because it was rapidly changing PoVs. When I got a hang of it, I found myself very interested. Some characters lacked depth and others were fantastic.
The cult aspect drew me in for sure, the several perspectives in books is something I'm not a fan of in books but if written well I can live with it.. Overall it was an interesting story just maybe not my cup of tea.

*Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review*
There were many parts of this book that I enjoyed.  I felt the author did a great job writing from the different characters point of view.  In fact, when Ariel first is introduced her voice was so different I felt like it was a completly different story.  This was a negative for me as a reader.  I found myself going back to the blurb and trying to understand where this person fit in the story.  The book kept my attention, but I had trouble with the ending.  I don't want to include spoilers, so I will just say I felt like the ending was rushed with certain story threads left unfinished.  If I had the option, I'd give this book 2.5 stars.  The quality of the writing makes it more than a two, but the overall book and the frustration I felt as a reader makes it impossible for me to give a 3.

Thanks to #NetGalley, the author and Penguin Random House Canada for a copy in exchange for a review.
I devoured this book in one afternoon. It is well written and captivating. The different perspectives of each girl added layers and depth to the story and highlighted the humanity at the core of each of their different experiences. Ariel was a fascinating character- she represented the struggle between family and history and the reality of the horrors that these can inflicted on yourself and others. She starts the novel loyal to her family and her character arc was emotional and satisfying to read. I could read an entire novel about her and the history of the Pembrooke family and cult. I particularly liked the agency Treggiari gave to her female characters. Even when they were not in positions of power, we heard their voices and lived their experiences. This put them at the centre of their stories, when too often I think we see these types of female characters stories being told through the eyes of a savior like a cop or boyfriend.

I enjoyed this one and would definitely recommend it to my students. I can think of several who would really like it. The premise was very interesting and I liked the alternating perspectives. This will definitely be on my recommendation list for our school librarian.
I’m not sure why this is getting such low ratings?!?! I thought it was quite good.

It’s told from several viewpoints and each had a very distinct voice. Ariel’s sections were the most fascinating as they talked of the cult mindset and what happened there.

The girls will all connect and there is more to this than a chance meeting. The real meat to this story doesn’t happen for a while but once it does it gets pretty crazy. Really my only complaint was that I wanted more of what happened after the conclusion. I easily could have read more about these characters! I will definitely check out more by this author.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Penguin Random House Canada for a copy in exchange for a review.
The Grey Sister’s intrigued me from the very first chapter and I found myself desperate to figure out the mystery and what was going to happen next.

I loved the different POV’s. Sometimes if not done properly, it’s easy to become confused and caught up trying to remember whose who and what’s going on. It was great to experience the story unfold through the different characters and to see their own unique voice and personalities coming through.

My favourite character was Ariel - she was fascinating. My mind would be ticking over about who she is and what part she played in the story. It really gave me something to think about.

The Grey Sister’s was shouldered in mystery. It was exciting to unravel the secrets and piece together what really happeneed when the plane went down.

I didn’t want this book to end and I especially didn’t want to let go of the characters. An emotional, exciting read with twist after twist that will be sure to keep you on your toes.
D and Spider spot a stuffed animal in a photo of the sole survivor of the plane crash that took their siblings two years prior. The toy belonged to D's twin sister Kat, a loss D has not been able to put behind her. Together, with their friend Min, they travel to the crash site, a forest that outskirts the Grey Sister Mountains, in hopes of finally getting closure...what they discover will change their lives forever.
Ariel lives in a survivalist mountain community called Avalon. In a constant struggle to survive the elements, disease, and starvation that reduce their numbers they continue to prepare for a war they are told will come. An animal attack that leaves one of her team severely injured results in her traveling outside the safety of her community...an event that will result in consequences for both parties.

The Grey Sisters is an action packed YA fiction novel with a survivalist element. Although some of the names chosen for the characters were a bit strange the plot itself was fairly entertaining. This novel provides two parallel stories involving young girls (16-ish) who become linked with life changing revelations for both parties. There are elements of the novel that may not suit all readers primarily revolving around the mountain community run by "Big Daddy". It implies sexual acts involving young girls (both consensual and nonconsensual) however; it doesn't get graphic in the details. That being said I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this one. The beginning of the novel kicks off with a plane crash, but then the book lags a bit while we get to know the characters back stories. The story picks back up again and ends with a bang...quite literally. Overall entertaining and action packed but probably not for the younger spectrum of YA genre.