Say Say Say

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 May 2019

This was a lovely little novel. It felt very personal, and you really got inside the head of Ella as she cares for Jill and builds this friendship with Bryn. There isn't much of a story, it's very character-driven, very much about the way this job effects Ella and how she feels about everything, and this works fine given the short length of the book. I felt the writing was a little over-the-top in some parts, it occasionally came across as stylised just for the sake of it. I thought there would be a little more reflection on Ella's part about her relationship with Alix, especially pending her upcoming move to Spain and the strain that may put on their relationship. I enjoyed reading this but wanted more from it.
A unique character study a woman Lila is hired to care for a womanJill  who is incapable of doing anything for herself Lila must do it all an intimate touching look at this woman her husband Bryn and Lila the caretaker the woman who comes into their house their lives.Emotional beautifully written literary fiction,#netgalley #serpentstail.
I was really emotionally moved by this book.  It was very uniqu to experience life from the eyes of Lila as she is a caretaker for Bryn's wife Jill.  Every nuance and facet of the experience is covered from the most minute expressions of love to the view that Lila sees as Byrn expresses love for his brain damaged wife.  I have never read anything like this before and the book a feat of humanity.  Thanks for the ARC, Net Galley.
I wasn’t too sure what to expect from this book, it sounded intriguing and interesting though!
Nothing really happens, it’s character driven and demonstrates the finely woven interaction between characters at depth, for me at too great a depth. I did not find it an a easy read, the language was too wordy, too chewy, too lengthy. But an interesting concept centred around Ella, the Carer.
This is very much a character-driven novel, focussing on a variety of interpersonal relationships. Ella is a carer, who takes a job with a man called Bryn, whose wife Jill experienced an accident some years ago. The novel follows Ella throughout her time caring for Jill and details her thoughts as she navigates her relationships with Bryn and Jill, as well as with her partner Alix.

For me, there were some interesting moments, but I found the writing style a little intense and vague at times. Although it's a third person narrative, we hear a lot of Ella's introspection and feelings, so she is the only character we really get to know, but I still found it hard to connect with her. While I thought this was an interesting look at the reality of caring for someone, it wasn't for me.
I was intrigued by the description of Lila Savage's first book - it sounded like something I would enjoy. "Say Say Say" is a slow-burner, thought-provoking meditation on oneself, love of many kinds and relationships in general. I quite enjoyed Ella, the main heroine, until (and quite suddenly) I became too tired of her and her exhilarating thoughts... And I am certainly not a fan of this kind of writing:

"Her unsubtlety felt inseparable from her femaleness, the abhorrent softness of her body, the lavishly pantomimed Eros that was the soldered flip side of her placating hesitancy, the infuriatingly routine feeling of supplication, of being coolly assessed and found wanting."

Yep. Decided this kind of language is not something I could enjoy on my morning commute. Not for me.