Cover Image: Finding Henry Applebee

Finding Henry Applebee

Through NetGalley, I received a free copy of FINDING HENRY APPLEBEE by Celia Reynolds in exchange for an honest review.  At eighty-five, Henry Applebee finally receives a clue that may help him resolve a mistake he made in 1948.  Excited and nervous, Henry embarks on a journey from London to Edinburgh.  Henry’s chance encounter at King’s Cross Station with Ariel Bliss, a teenager on her own covert mission to Edinburgh, results in an unlikely friendship formed over an unexpected kindness reciprocated.  When a fellow passenger introduces himself to the pair, the circle of two widens to three.  Before the trio can complete their business in Scotland, they’ll discover they’re more connected than they ever dreamed.

I really enjoyed this book.  It’s a poignant tale of loves lost and found.  I recommend this book to fans of nostalgic literary fiction set in Europe.
Harold Fry set on a train! That's what I first though, but then that doesn't do the book justice in its own right. It's unique, lovingly written and emotional.

Delightful and charming and just a tiny bit teary. Oh yes.

Set on a train that travels from London to Edinburgh, but it really is the journey that shines and matters here. Who does Henry meet on the train and who impacts his life. Whose life does he make an impression on?

Two people meet on a train and get chatting. It happens every day to many people, but who could imagine that this person could have such an impact on them? There's several characters in the book and each comes into contact with each other at some point. Their stories intertwine, their voices carry over from one chapter to the next so you feel as if you're on that train and meeting these people for yourself. It's people watching booktrail style. How many times do you look at someone on a train and imagine who they are, what they do, where they are going and why? A train is the ideal place for a study of life itself, of life's microcosms, of lives ups and downs.

And then there's the delightful flashbacks - like the scenery flickering past the windows, it comes and goes and stays in your vision throughout the novel. We learn of Henry's early life and his time in Blackpool, why he is on the train and who he's going to meet. The lovely girl he meets, the trouble teen Ariel is an interesting one. Their relationship between this two is a delight to read but you really have to discover this for yourself, and meet the others as the joy of this novel is to be a fellow passenger on the train yourself.

This is an emotional read - there's time for laughter, tears, shivers, warm hugs and more. Next time I'm on a train, I'm going to look for an Henry Applebee, Ariel and the others. I'm sure I'll see a flicker of them in the windows as we rush through the English countryside

Delightfully emotional.