Cover Image: Mixed Signals

Mixed Signals

I had such high hopes for this book, but it just fell short in a few ways that I couldn't get past. Hopefully as the author continues to write the books will get stronger.
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review.
I received an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.

This books was not for me. I was really excited to pick it up and begin but I just couldn't connect with it. I DNF'd several times but recently I decided to just commit. I ended up getting half way and giving up. I don't like the main character or her friends and really struggles to connect. I wish I had more positive things to say, I really wanted to like this one.
DNF at 25%

I had this book for over a year.  I started it back then but then put it down.  Each time I went to Netgalley and saw it was there waiting for my review, I'd remember and pick it back up again.  Only to struggle and then put it back down.  Lather.  Rinse.  Repeat.

This week I made a concerted effort.  I tried.  But I just couldn't get engaged.  Nothing about the start of the book hooked me.  I didn't hate it or anything, I just couldn't get interested.

Honestly I tried.  After a year and several re-starts I really don't think it is gonna happen.

Sorry.
I received an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.

This story begins with Serendipity. The main character just happens to immediately run into the man of her dreams. Unfortunately, the story never developed from this meeting. The story was flat and not interesting. I DNFed it.
This book was not for me.  It might interest others, but I found the main character and her friends very superficial.  I expect some of that from a fun and flirty romance book, but this was just too simplistic.  I also didn't like the main character or her best friend.
Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this title.

Unfortunately I couldn’t connect with this one and after several attempts I put is aside.
Sad to report this wasn’t my favorite, I just couldn’t get into the story! Perhaps this is one I could revisit at another time - but for now I just didn’t connect with the characters as I felt I should have. It’s one I may come back to again in the future though!
I really enjoyed this story. It was sweet and a bit sassy. Julie found herself a bit and also found true love in the process. I would definitely read the next book in this series!
So the cover looks a lot like some other popular New Adult romances. Which is why I requested it.  It was boring. I didn't feel an attachment to any of the characters and I trudged through with them for about 30 percent of the book before putting it down.
Mixed Signals was a book that I wanted to really enjoy. It had all the fixings for a great rom-com but it somehow didn’t hit all the marks.
I have tried a few times to get into this book but, unfortunately, I can't. I dislike the main character greatly and I believe that is the reason I cannot connect.
DNF.
I've been struggling to write this review but I just really couldn't finish this book. It had a lot of potential but unfortunately, it just wasn't for me.
DNF

Not a fan of the main character. She spent more time bashing other women than focusing on herself.

Not a fan.
I tried really hard to like this one, but nothing about this book worked for me.  I hated the characters, and the plot really fell flat.  I was bored while reading this, and finished only because I hate to leave a book unread.
//MY ENGLISH REVIEW//
It seemed a book I would love, like The Kiss Quotient or The Hating Game, but it didn't charmed me at all.
I found almost impossible to like the MC, Julie, so at the end of the book I couldn't care less about her life or her family. Obviously, I understand why she's having such a hard time but her behaviour with Nico made me angry. Nico it's simply wonderfull and he doesn't deserve the way Julie treats him. I couldn't understand why he fell in love with Julie and that's a big problem in a romance novel (at least for me it is).
The starting point was interesing but I didn't like the development, so I couldn't connect with the story.
But don't be discouraged with this review, it's just one opinion! There's nothing like reading and creating one yourself.
I think Mia Heintzelman can write great stories because you can she he has it (the reading was light and the hot scenes were well written), so I'm going to keep an eye on her work.
[Since my English isn't very good, I'm going to add my review] in Spanish
-----------
//MY REVIEW IN SPANISH//
Pedí este libro porque la sinopsis tenía buena pinta y la portada es del tipo The Kiss Quotient o The Hating Game, dos libros que adoro, así que esta lectura ha sido un pequeño chasco, no únicamente porque no aguante la comparación, sino porque, por sí mismo, es un libro que no se sostiene.
He tenido dos grandes problemas con él. Uno es que la trama amorosa es bastante floja. Nico, el chico (no puedo llamarle "protagonista" porque es más bien un personaje secundario), es total y absolutamente fantástico, pero su historia de amor con Julie es simplona y muy mal desarrollada. En ningún momento he logrado entender cómo se enamora ni de dónde surge el amor entre ambos. Y esto está directamente relacionado con mi otro gran problema: la protagonista. No he sido capaz de conectar con ella en ningún momento, incluso me ha llegado a caer mal. Supongo que su mal comportamiento con Nico tendrá un sentido pero yo no he sido capaz de verlo.
Se ve que el libro tiene un buen punto de partida pero, para mí, tiene un desarrollo bastante pobre y, además, lioso, ya que se centra mucho más en los aspectos de la vida de Julie (y de los que la rodean) que en su relación con Nico y consigo misma. Una pena.
En cualquier caso, esto es solo mi opinión y no hay nada como leer y juzgar por uno mismo. Al menos el libro se lee rápidamente y las secuencias hot entre Julie y Nico son bastante decentes.
Estaré pendiente de lo que escriba Mia Heintzelman porque creo que puede escribir historias acordes a mi gusto.
I DNFed this book after 35% percent. On paper it seem a book that I would love but the reality is that I didn't connect  with the characters.
Mixed Signals definitely has some mixed reviews and oh boy, I wish I read them before starting this book. I’m pretty easy to please when it comes to romance but I STRUGGLED with this book. I don’t believe in reviewing a book you’ve DNF’d but honestly I had to drag myself to the end this time. The characters lack any emotional depth and the humor missed the mark for me. This book could have been improved with more well rounded characters but unfortunately the plot is a bit cliche and fell flat.
Mixed Signal had Christina Lauren and Jasmine Guillory and Sally Thorne vibes. But it kinda fell short of the trio. Well, mostly on Christina Lauren and Sally Thorne levels. The characters were infuriating and well it seems they were trying too hard. The story in itself seemed to be trying a little too hard. It didn’t make me swoon which was a bummer. So this was okay for me.
Mixed Signals is the perfect weekend read. A quick and light romance with enough depth to keep you reading.

Julie’s character development was well written with an interesting dynamic with every character she interacted with, from Patrick to Celeste, to Sophia, her mom, and even Nico. All unique interactions that added to her character as a whole.

Nico is definitely book boyfriend material and enough reason on his own to pick up and read this book.
I went into this one with high hopes - that blurb had me hooked. Unfortunately I didn't quite get the story I wanted. It's definitely not a bad read. I found myself smiling in parts and happily reading away. The second half of the book was a little harder for me and that's why it gets a 3 instead of a 4. I'd definitely check out more from this author though as there was plenty to enjoy.