Cover Image: Olive, Again

Olive, Again

While it took me awhile to warm up to Olive Again, by the end I really enjoyed it. Strout is a genius at portraying “ordinary” people and the everyday problems they face. While Olive herself can come across as crotchety, you can’t help but love her for her honesty and realness. I thought the author did a particularly good job of expressing the loneliness that comes with old age.
All in all, it was a good book.  Olive is a kind of annoying person that everyone loves to talk to.  She has definite opinions, and I found myself chuckling along as she spoke them without a thought to filter. She also definitely lacks self-awareness, she can be very blunt and very oblivious to what is expected of her (I'm thinking specifically of a painful event someone suffered that she basically ignored, and then was surprised that they weren't her biggest fans).  However, I wish there was some follow up on some of the citizens in her little town that are mentioned for a time, then never again. I felt the need for closure on some of the stories.
Another great book from Elizabeth Strout.   If you loved Olive and have been missing her and her friends, here is what you have been waiting for.  Don't wait to read this gem.
I loved visiting with Olive again and remembered why I fell in love with Elizabeth Strout's work in the first place. I recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys deep dives into characters and doesn't mind a slower plot.
Elizabeth Strout continues to draw in readers with relatable characters. The author provides an interesting and relatable read.
Thank you Grand Central for this gifted copy. All copies are my own.

Olive is definitely a fun character who isn't afraid to speak her mind. I love that it's a series of short stories featuring different characters with Olive tying it all together.
Elizabeth Strout is just plain amazing. The way she weaves characters and stories together is very satisfying. I loved Olive in Olive Kitterage and was thrilled to love her just as much in Olive, Again. This book has stories within a story and it works so well. I highly recommend reading this!
It was lovely, but I felt like I already knew Olive so well and was not sure that I wanted to know more. The writing is always perfect, the setting is clear - there is nothing not to like, except that I had stopped time for Olive in my mind already.
Elizabeth Strout is one of the finest writers working today. Her crisp prose manages the difficult task of being emotive without being sentimental. Readers who loved Olive Kitteridge when she was introduced to us 10 years ago—even as she flooded us with conflicting feelings—will not be disappointed with Olive, Again. I'm still trying to figure out how Ms. Strout creates characters whose every human flaw is exposed, while filling our hearts with compassion for them! This novel will stick with you long after you finish the last page.
I love Olive. She reminds me somewhat of Amelia Bedelia - she's straight-forward and says what she means and means what she says. But Olive is also a sensitive, caring and thoughtful person. This book is kind of a love story good bye to Olive. We age along with her. It has its happy and sad times and there is truthfulness to all of it. Olive is a complex and multi-dimensional character. While some saw this lovely book as being sad, I contend it was a beautiful love song to life. Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
What a treat to visit Olive and her friends, family, and neighbors again!  This book is a sequel to Olive Kitteridge, featuring an older woman who reminds me a lot of the main character in A Man Called Ove.  In fact, I would love to see those two characters get together and see who comes out on top!  Olive, a retired school teacher doesn't seem to have aged at all (until the end of the book) when the story begins.  She still sticks her foot in her mouth, but shows a caring side as well.  Just when the reader is ready to be finished with her, due to her actions, she always seems to redeem herself.!  She is such a character, that one can't help but root for her!  If you enjoy reading short stories about small town life, with a variety of characters who interweave throughout, this is the book for you!  Thank you to Netgalley for this free ebook in exchange for an honest review.
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from the author, publisher and Netgalley.com.  Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review.  The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Ms. Strout's writing is a joy to read. Olive is back and though a little older, in fine form.

5 out of 5 stars. Recommended reading.
Olive is back in fine form in this sequel to Pulitzer Prize winning novel Oliver Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. Olive's personality and allure as a character has not lost any of its lustre as this book is a fitting tribute to Olive. The short stories are wonderful and really elicit so many emotions from the reader. Olive has evolved but is still uniquely Olive. I loved this book and highly recommend it.
Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout. I had no idea this was part of a series when I picked this book from the library and if I read the first book I might have liked this one more. At first it gave me Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine vibes which is a book I adored. However, Olive Again was nothing like I thought it might be or was expecting and it did not live up to all the hype it recieved last year in my opinion. The book felt scattered and didn't flow very well. Other than Olive, I didn't like any of the other characters in book which made reading it a bore. I'd give it 1.5 stars at best.
I love Elizabeth Strout’s writing so much! It’s been awhile since I read Olive Kittredge and I loved reading about her again. The writing, characters and atmosphere of Olive, Again brought me back to how I felt when I read first read Olive. A wonderful novel! I thank the publisher and NetGalley for the advanced readers copy.
I wish I enjoyed this novel more than I did. I'm definitely in the minority, and did not realized there was a first book to Olive. Unfortunately this was not a story that stuck with me and I had a hard time focusing through it.

I would like to thank the publisher and netgalley for providing me with an eARC in exchange for this honest review.
Elizabeth Strout writes like no other, in 'Olive, Again' she can thrill and delight the reader like no other author has.
Complete review on my blog
I loved Olive Kitteridge when I read it. I think Elizabeth Strout is seriously talented. This is another book about Olive told in a series of short stories. I gave it 4 stars and do recommend it if you liked the first one.
A good follow up to the first collection of short stories! This just made me love Olive even more. She is spunky and speaks her mind but also truly cares about the people she loves. If you liked the first book, you’ll like this one too.
This book took off with a bang! I really enjoyed Olive and all the characters. It was really well written and had a pretty good flow. I did find all the different characters interesting, but sometimes confusing. Especially after the halfway mark, because I think I just wondered what was going on. Usually they crossed paths with Olive, but it wasn't always anything much.

Good descriptions, good people and good dialogue, especially the internal dialogues.