Drawing: Faces & Features

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Jun 2019

This is an awesome guide to drawing faces including how to express light and shadow, the basic proportions of different faces, the bone and muscle structure beneath the skin and how it affects what is visible, and the details of individual features.

Excellent projects involving many different types and ages of faces are included to assist you in honing your skills.

I received an electronic copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 5/5 stars.
I have no words to express how glad I am that I found this book. I've been looking for books that's teach me drawing without just basically drawing and actually explaining the steps and techniques. This book did just that!

Not only drawing faces, I now finally understand all the mistakes I was making while drawing just about anything. I'm also grateful for the little section in the beginning that gave a brief overview of all the tools required in drawing. None of the YouTube videos told me what that pointy white thing was or explained about any of the tools satisfactorily.  I've already pulled out my pencils to start sketching, and thanks to the book, I have lots of portraits to practice on!

Also, while this book focuses mainly on faces, it gives a basic idea of all aspects of sketching from outlining, to lighting and shading. I've done a few portraits myself, and I'm glad to realize what went wrong. Definitely recommended!
I love this book.    I love drawing but never really have the time to do it.   This book helps me with the basics and gives me good advice on how to improve my techniques.     Very helpful and instructive.
Even if i cant load it to my kindle or tablet. Its good study more drawing even if you know how to draw faces already. Still a thumbs up
This was a well organized and fairly comprehensive guide to drawing faces and features. It explains general concepts (such as facial proportions and shading techniques) as well as details that will make all the difference, like facial angles, hair and skin tone. I think this will mostly benefit artists who have some experience drawing faces and are in need of a boost in their skills, such as representing different ages accurately. I think beginners would benefit more from a book with a narrower scope and more detailed steps.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I’m coming at this from the perspective of a total beginner. I’ve tried to draw a little bit by myself and that’s the extent of my experience and knowledge. Having said that, I thought this book was really good and to give quite a broad introduction to the whole area of drawing. It’s focussed specifically on faces, of course, but I feel as though it wouldn’t be too hard, once you understood the techniques, to transfer them to other things.

I was a bit thrown at first because there only seemed to be a page or two about each section, or aspect, I’m not sure of the right word. But after a while I realised that what this book does is to introduce a whole range of ideas to you and go over them thoroughly but in quite a basic way. This way, you can practise what’s in the book but you can also read more detailed books – or look online for further related techniques, and so on. The book gives you a sort of grounding in everything, as far as I can tell.

So, for example, there are precisely two pages on shading techniques, which doesn’t seem like a lot. There’s a little bit of text giving you various useful tips, then some diagrams demonstrating some ways of shading and ways to use it, plus a box showing how different pencils affect how shading works. It’s all quite basic and it’s very obvious that there’s a lot more that could be said on the subject. Yet just those two pages give you plenty to practise and consider without completely overloading a total beginner.

The rest of the sections follow a similar structure, giving you enough information to make a decent start and plenty of things to work on. This book seems to me to be a really excellent starting point, and I’m looking forward to trying out some of the tips and suggestions.
Really nice to help artist to better drawing faces at different angles and drawing different ages. Very helpful and not totally a beginner book. But can be helpful for those who want to do better in this skill set as an artist.
This book is designed for beginners who love to draw. The book is short read with very easy step by step instructions on how to draw faces, shading techniques and tips, and so much more.  If you know anyone who loves to draw, this book will be used so much to reference and learn the easy way. I have never seen any learning to draw books that explained how to draw faces so easy.

Learn to create detailed, realistic portraits in graphite pencil from basic shapes.

Successfully drawing the human face is one of the most challenging, yet rewarding, artistic experiences. Faces & Features shows you how to capture the unique characteristics of the human face in graphite pencil, with tips on choosing materials, building with basic shapes, placing proportionate features, defining the facial expression, and shading to develop form and realism.

With a wealth of detailed step-by-step projects to both re-create and admire, Debra Kauffman Yaun, teaches artists how to develop a portrait drawing to its fullest. She shares her personal methods for rendering the human face in all its expressiveness as she introduces tips and techniques for approaching babies, children, teenagers, and adults of all ages.

This book includes in-depth information on specific facial features as well as detailed, step-by-step exercises that explore ways to develop complete portraits. And the wealth of beautiful, inspiring examples ensure that Faces & Features will be a welcome addition to any artist’s drawing reference library. Drawing faces can be a challenge, but with this step-by-step guide, you’ll be rendering realistic portraits in no time.

Designed for beginners, the How to Draw & Paint series offers an easy-to-follow guide that introduces artists to basic tools and materials and includes simple step-by-step lessons for a variety of projects suitable for the aspiring artist. Faces & Features allows artists to develop their drawing skills, demonstrating how to start with basic shapes and use pencil and shading techniques to create varied textures, values, and details for a realistic completed drawing.

An updated edition of a previous book by Miss Yaun, this will get you, via excellent instructions and illustrations, drawing faces and features in no time. I am not a drawer, at all, but I like to and need to draw certain shapes for my acrylic paintings. (usually, lately, mermaids, flamingos and llamas for kid's paintings) and this book will help me and maybe I will end up with the front of a mermaid showing instead of their hair and backside! 😂

This is a great book for tweens on up - I am pretty sure that I will be able to draw some usable and recognizable faces sometime soon, as could you! As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by Millennials on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it some mermaids 🧜‍♀️🧜‍♀️🧜‍♀️🧜‍♀️🧜‍♀️ (with faces!!)

NOTE: I cannot link this review to LinkedIn - there is something wrong with the linking/programming and it will not happen.
For some reason, I can't draw for anything. I liked that this was an instructional book. I didn't like that this was for more advanced artists. Because I am not great at drawing, I had hoped this would be more beginner friendly but alas, it was not. I would get this for someone who can draw already and just wants to hone their skills.
Every book in this collection begins with a decent breakdown of materials needed, as well as some of the more basic steps regarding techniques (shading, etc.). It’s basically an identical first chapter, which is actually a good thing.  It means that the true variation is the subject matter and that any of the books would make a good gift without one worrying “Oh but this one has more initial information.”

That being said, this is my absolute favorite in the collection as there is so many areas in drawing people that require practice, from eyes to hair to depicting age decently.  This book really takes the time to let people practice each of these areas.
This is a very good basic book on drawing faces, adding in features and age via pencil drawing. The information is pretty good, easy to understand and follow, it touches the surface of drawing from life, looks at profiles, hair and how to create age within the features and proportions, a very good book for someone who like t try their hand at drawing lifelike faces.
Thanks to NetGalley, I was able to read a digital ARC of Drawing: Faces & Features by Debra Kauffman Yaun.

This booklet is divided into topics consisting of two to three pages of information on the various subjects, beginning with some pages dedicated to “Tools & Materials”, “Shading Techniques”, and “Basic Anatomy”, before moving on to adult faces and capturing proportions and features correctly. It also briefly deals with how to capture likeness and draw from life before moving on to drawing different views, lighting, backgrounds, developing hair, depicting aged faces and then ending the adult section with a couple of pages on facial hair.

The rest of the book is devoted to much the same topics as applied to children’s and babies faces, before ending with a brief lesson on establishing  values.

As each topic is presented very briefly, I feel this book is lacking in steps for the beginner, while also not delivering enough high-level information to satisfy an already accomplished artists. It’s a fine booklet, with some good tips, but ultimately I’m unsure of who this book is actually meant for.
This is a more advanced tutorial book for drawing faces, and would be suitable for those artists with some experience..  It does give excellent step by step instructions and provides detailed explanations of how to draw specific facial features..  For anyone who finds drawing faces hard this is the perfect study book.  Overall very good.
Great introduction to drawing faces. Everything you need to know about proportion which is were most people go wrong! Also shows the differences between young and old faces. A few hour with this book and you will feel more confident in your ability to capture a likeness.
For full disclosure I cannot draw at all.....well I can manage a very basic dog or rabbit face. My other half however and daughter are more artistically inclined but with not great results. So I was interested to receive Drawing: Dragons and Drawing:Faces and Features. Could it improve them or teach me to draw. Well yes and no. The results are promising for them, they've picked up some great techniques. Me however, well I think my outlet is words not pictures and a book can't change that. But I can't give them less than five stars just from seeing the improvement in especially my seven year olds drawing.
This one is probably for intermediate artists.  Those who have already developed some skills drawing features and need help putting them all together.  Adding hair, showing age, etc.  it’s really good at that.  If, however, you need tips for things that many struggle with like eyelashes, noses, hands?  I’d wait on this book until you feel confident with the individual  features already and are ready to move on to full faces..
Can someone, please, explain to me why is it so hard to draw a face? Like, really, I don't get it! It starts so well and I end up with a troll. Every time.

I liked that this book focused very much on the features and I already saw several things I was doing wrong. However, my faces are still very ugly. Story of my life. But the highlight of this? I finally understood how to draw wavy hair!
One of the series’ more complex step by step guides that looks at drawing people. It once again contains wonderfully transferable knowledge and skills before giving a number of tutorials on the most important aspect of this form of drawing; proportions.
Drawing: Faces & Features would be great for students in schools just starting out or for any artists just starting out. Full of information and techniques.