Window on the Bay

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Sep 2019

I just wanna say I love Debbie Macomber but I just couldn’t get into this book. I tried 2 times to read this book. It was just so slow going and was about two women that made it to middle age and wanted to find love. Took forever to get to the plot and seemed like I would never get to the end. I’m sorry this one wasn’t for me. She has done better.
I’ve always loved the light and cozy books by Debbie Macomber, and I was excited to read Window on the Bay for this very reason. It was a sweet story of friendship between best friends Jenna and Maureen. It’s also a story of love and overcoming relationships of the past, and the changing of their lives from when they were young.

It was a cute story just as I hope, if not a bit over the top at times.

*Thank you to publisher and netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own
I didn’t find this book to be as good as other Debbie Macomber’s books.  There was just something lacking in the way the story unfolded.  I found myself getting bored with the story line.  I think it was the hot/cold and fast/slow aspect the characters had.
Overall, I didn’t dislike the book but it wasn’t a favorite Debbie Macomber book.  I did not like the ending....
Thank you to NetGallery, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read and give my honest review/opinions of “Window on the Bay.”
I love this author and this is another winner by her. This book follows the experience of empty-nesters Jenna and Maureen. They have to adapt to having an empty nest as they both plan the trip of a lifetime to Paris. But before they get there, romance has other ideas. In this book, the characters are deep, real people with fully developed backgrounds and emotional lives. A great key to drawing the reader in and keeping them reading.
Although I tend to like my reads with a little more steam, I have read some of Debbie Macomber books that I liked and had enough real romance and a good storyline to keep my interest.  However, this one was just boring.  Both female characters had issues from previous marriages but were unbelievably quick to judge the men in their lives with very little provocation.  They waffled back and forth, back and forth.  The storyline was superficial with no depth.  The characters were so poorly developed that it was impossible to identify, in any way, with any of them.  The dialogue read as if a teen had written it.  There was no real plot, just a bunch of short subplots that the author tried to tie together but failed.  I was disappointed.
Two best friends, Jenna and Maureen are at a crossroads. They are now empty nesters and even though it may sound good, finding what will fill your life is not always as easy at it appears.

One of the friends has a good relationship with her ex and the other, not so much.

This book is geared towards possible love connections and issue with raising children once they are no longer under your roof. Having the freedom to make choices does not always mean you make the right decisions.

There are some laugh out loud moments in this, and some heartbreaking moments. I think one of my favorite things was the Red Light, Green Light discussions.

It was nice to read a book that didn't solely focus on younger adults at a crossroad, but dealing with a more mature approach with older women.

Macomber hit a home run with this book for me.

5 stars
I can't think of a better author to take to the beach or enjoy on a rainy day.  Debbie Macomber has written an outstanding story with two romances for the price of one.  Both are great stories.  Jenna is a divorced  ICU nurse and has just sent her 2nd child off to college.  She's thinking of all she has planned to do when her mother falls and breaks her hip.  Maureen is a librarian and is Jenna's best friend and in a very similar situation. They have wanted to go to Paris since they were in college and now seemed like the time.  Now they both have a new man in their lives and they are helping each other navigate the unfamiliar territory of dating.  Great story for any age reader who loves romance and friendship books.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Debbie has done it again. Every Debbie fan knows how he or she feels reading one of her novels. She doesn't disappoint. This novel will have you wanting to know what happens next. Window on the Bay is a 5 star novel. One of her best. I highly recommend this novel. What a fun summer beach read.
First and foremost, I must start by saying that this book was entirely not what I had expected after reading the back cover copy. That is not to say that it was a bad thing, it was just that I had gotten the impression that the story would be strictly focused on Jenna's story and romance... and that the Paris trip would be much more a point of focus in the story. The reality was a bit different. The Paris trip was certainly mentioned throughout the book, but it was more a side note than anything else. We didn't get to enjoy that journey with these two best friends as I had thought we might from the title. In addition, we got to not only see Jenna's story, but the romance of Maureen as well as the story went back and forth between their two points of view. I actually loved that we got not one, but TWO interesting love stories in one. Their experiences though different, often seemed to mirror each other in many ways. To be honest, I actually really enjoyed the story of Maureen and Logan even more than that of Jenna and Rowan. I think this is perhaps because I could see the personalities of myself (bookish and reserved) and my husband (social and a little rougher around the edges) reflected in these characters.

I must say that this story takes place in a stage of life that I- as a mom with still young children- am not familiar with, and one that I don't tend to find myself drawn to in books for this reason. I enjoyed the characters and the story regardless, though I could certainly see how this book would hold more appeal for someone who is in that stage themselves.

Overall, it was a really nice story of friendships and second chances on love and one that I would certainly recommend. If you are already a Debbie Macomber fan, this will be a welcome addition to your collection. If you're new to the author, I think you too will find yourself drawn into her heartwarming storytelling as so many others have through the years.

**I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher for consideration. All thoughts are 100% my own.
The love of family and friends make life bearable.  An adventure is just what Debbie Macomber writes about is such beautiful way in all of her books. Second chances have a way of uniting and teaching us that life is special..
This was an enjoyable book for summer with a foundation of friendship and the relationships that enter and exit people’s lives.
This book was just okay for me. I do not think the characters were likeable.  The women seemed very, very hung up on their previous relationships. The book was very formulaic. There are always the lives of the characters, an event in which people stop talking, and then they are brought back together again. I was confused at the portrayal of the daughter, Allie, as a spoiled brat and then suddenly a hero. Obviously, what I say does not really matter because it is Debbie Macomber and she will sell thousands anyway. But I'm hoping there is a bit less triviality and more substance in the next one.
The ending of this book was obvious almost from the very beginning, so if you like suspense, please do not look for it here. In this book, two older women, whose children have “left the nest” are looking for a new direction in life. In their case, this means a new love interest.  Both women, friends from college, have been burned by divorce, so they each carry baggage. Jenna is a nurse, who works at the local hospital. Maureen is a librarian and the local library. During their daily routines, they each discover a love interest, though they each approach it differently. The grown children of these two women make periodic appearances, each offering advice and opinions, almost far beyond their years. The two main characters, Jenna and Maureen, come across as not very world-wise, despite having each raised children. Love interests blossom for both women, but can they finally push former events/episodes aside and let it grow?

This book was okay, but not great. I have always enjoyed the author’s books and found them refreshing as well as insightful.  This one just did not seem to be of the same caliber writing as the others.  Still, it was interesting to watch Jenna and Maureen emerge from their cocoons, so to speak, and find happiness in true love. I enjoyed the way their children were the ones with words of wisdom for their respective moms. This makes for an easy summer read to while away time on the beach or while traveling, especially if you enjoy Debbie Macomber’s books. I received this from NetGalley to read and review.
this is a very good book i just love her books i cant wait for her next book i know it well be very good.
This is another solid Debbie Macomber novel.  Obviously if you've read anything by Debbie, you know you can't go wrong with anything she writes! This story follows the two best friends Maureen and Jenna as they navigate obstacles of being empty nesters and finding love post children and divorce.  I really enjoyed the characters! I found them likable and engaging.  The story flowed really well and kept my interest with several twists and turns along the way.  This would be a great novel to curl up with on rainy day or pull out while on a beach vacation. It is an enjoyable read that sped by quickly for me.  I listened to the audiobook and enjoyed the narrator a lot!

Also, thanks to Random House Publishing Group for the advanced reader copy I received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
They've been best friends since college. Their dream to take a trip to Paris in the spring. Unfortunately, life seems to always get in the way. Jenna Boltz was looking forward to being an empty nester. Maureen Zelinski has walled off her heart. Their plan is to go to Paris like they tried to in college. What happens when life gets in the way and an empty house doesn't go as planned? It's looking out from the Window on the Bay.

Jenna Boltz last child has left for college. She's celebrating by getting together with her best friend Maureen Zelinski to watch their favorite movie and plan again the trip they were going to take to Paris their senior year of college, before life got in the way. Both women are now divorced and have children in their 20s and raised their children as single parents. A call from Jenna's mom's neighbor has her rushing to the hospital because of her mom's broken hip. Instead of focusing on the empty house she's now taking care of her mother. She meets the orthopedic surgeon who's taking care of her mother. Rowan Lancaster has been smitten with Jenna since last year's Christmas party. He takes advantage of their proximity to subtly show his interest. She doesn't want to have anything to do with him because her ex-husband was a surgeon and they work at the same hospital. Jenna can't forget the attraction to Rowan and that he seems to be different from the ex-husband. As they get to know each other their true personalities come to light bringing them closer together. She must work to get information about Rowan's past from him. He's always there to help with Jenna's problems with her children and mom. Rowan pulls away when its obvious another man is interested. Jenna pursues Rowan. Her daughter's behavior at college has Jenna worried about her. A rift develops between her and her son because of his change in professions. When the daughter brings her new best friend home for a visit while Rowan is there everyone gets a surprise. Jenna's old fears come to the fore front splitting her and Rowan up. Attempts to explain are rejected and a mistake of a date bring the two awkwardly back into each others lives. Jenna's daughter solves Jenna's love life and her best friend's relationship with her father.

Maureen has a man that she's been giving book recommendations to when he comes into the library. Logan is a construction worker and the exact opposite of Maureen. He irritates her by teasing her. But she can't stop thinking about him. When he asks her out and she accepts they go to a sports bar. She's just come from work so her apparel stands out. The date is a disaster, but she decides to give him a second chance. Maureen is surprised by the bar he takes her to and their next date is a success. A new experience when they go to a football game. A comment leads Maureen to set up a date for them. Their dating is put on hold while Logan is out of town on a job. The ballet is some what of a disaster when Logan doesn't enjoy it. Maureen gets to meet his daughter. She learns that she's to become a grandmother. As they get closer Maureen gets scared. She decides to give the sports bar a second chance and is hurt when Logan walks in with another woman and he takes teasing about her from the other construction workers. They break up and both are miserable. After talking to Jenna and her own daughter and Logan's daughter, she decides that she wants to reveal her heart to Logan. A phone call has her anxiously waiting an answer but when she doesn't get one is thinks she's really messed up. Arriving home she finds Logan on her doorstep to make sure this is really what she wants.

Jenna's life is revisited 5 years later where you catch up with their lives and what happen in their relationships. Debbie Macomber new style of writing in the first person but from different perspectives is heartwarming, happy and emotionally charged from beginning to end. These two woman work through the past to realize that they can have the future they dream of. A stop light mentality to dating shows some humor and how high their standards are. It also shows how the past has affected how they look at new relationships. As always Debbie Macomber shows you love helps heal love wounds.
This is an easy-read book, great for the summertime: a bit fluffy, very "chic-lit", but just right for this time of the year!

Jenna and Maureen have been BFFs since college. Both are single mothers; Jenna for 20 years and Maureen around the same. They've both dipped their toes into the dating pool on and off and have a rating system for their dates: red -- no way, yellow -- possible -- green -- absolutely! Jenna's kids are both out of the house, in college; she's a nurse in the local  hospital ICU; her ex-husband is a surgeon and totally non-involved with his family. Maureen's a librarian, her daughter is married, her ex  did take an interest while his daughter was growing up.  Both Jenna and Maureen meet interesting men and then have to decide how to deal with them.

There are HEAs for all, but not without the requisite angst, some of which is a bit silly. An enjoyable and light read.

I received an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.
Window on the Bay is a VERY SWEET story. Debbie has a way of putting a smile on her readers faces while reading her loving stories. This one is no exception. You will walk away from this boom feeling VERY HAPPY and feel the love she puts into her stories. I’m not quit sure why the bad reviews, I thought this was a VERY SWEET AND LOVING story. I’m going to guess that you will too. If you read it, you’ll see, it’s a GREAT story. Enjoy!! :))
Wonderful story! Debbie Macomber did it again and excellant romance. Loved that this book was about middle age women that I can relate to. very good storyline and details. Jenna and Maureen have stayed in touch with each other over the years through family and divorce . This tells the story of both women later in life after things have changed for them. Takes us along for the ride when they each find a second chance romance with new men. So fun to read loved it!
In typical Debbie Macomber fashion, she has written a strong novel based on friendships. Her books are my guilty pleasure. It's like comfort food.  No matter how much drama, sadness, heart break is happening...there is always so much optimism.
This was a great beach (pool) read.