Cover Image: Swipe Right for Murder

Swipe Right for Murder

I was very excited to read this based on the description, but the writing and the plot weren't for me--I found too much of the plot far-fetched for my taste. I would recommend this for folks interested in young/new adult thrillers who want fast-paced action and don't mind suspending disbelief.
Unfortunately I have to DNF this book at 23% read.

This is probably the first book I don't want to DNF and have no enjoyment of doing so. The writing style is fine and I have enjoyed the plot to this point, but every time I pick this up it makes me slumpy and then I can't get out of it. I'm really not sure why I'm not in sync with this book, but I'm not and the only logical thing for me to do is set it aside and not worry about forcing myself to read it.

I would very much like to come back to it and finish it at some point, but it will probably require the audiobook since I just can't get into it.

**Please note, I don't usually give star ratings to things I can't finish because it usually is reflected on my reading and enjoyment of the book, but for purposes of NetGalley I must have a star rating and since I couldn't get more than 23% into Swipe Right for Murder I am giving it 1 star. This will likely change if and when I am able to actually finish this book.**
DNFing at 5%. I really wanted to push through on this book, but it feels like they're really trying to throw the fact that the main character is gay in your face. Not about it. I'm just not warming up to any of the characters yet and not into it. So disappointed - I had high hopes for this book.
Swipe Right for Murder is a fast-paced, pulse-racing book that reads like a Hitchcock thriller for today's audience. I will readily admit that some of the cyber talk went over my head, but I was willing to suspend disbelief to go all in with this sympathetic narrator and the impossible situation in which he found himself. Absolutely loved the LGBTQ angle, and the unique way it was woven into the plot. A great, timely thriller.
Took me a few chapters to get into, but wow.  It was an amazing read.  Loved the main character.   He’s running for his life but makes time to flirt with cute guys.
The book was going okay. It was a tad boring and pretty much just about a teenage boy trying to get laid. I was hoping for more action sooner. But once the white rabbit was murdered I had to DNF the book.
I have no idea what I expected with this book. But it definitely was nothing like what I had in mind when reading the title.

It was suspenseful, a rollercoaster ride, a bit unbelievable... yes but it was still really enjoyable. I just had to know how it ended. This book is a powerful LGBTQ YA thriller. It will keep you on your toes. This book could definitely be a movie. Actually it should be! It was insanely good.

Thank you NetGalley and Little, Brown and Company for allowing me to read this book in exchange for honest review.
Fast paced.  Twisted.  Sleep with the computer off and lights on.  Enjoyed this thriller.   Recommended for someone looking to read in one sitting!
I was almost halfway through this book when I decided to put it down. It just wasn’t for me - the storyline didn’t grip me. It was too fast-paced and reminded me of an action movie with a lot of scenes of the main character running from somebody, but we don’t know who or why...and I just wasn’t invested. Not for me.
I was really interested in this one, but unfortunately I don't feel the execution really paid off. It felt very chaotic and all over the place in both pacing and content, and I struggled to push through some chapters where everything seemed to come out of left field.
I was so excited to review Swipe Right for Murder for my school library; it looked like an engaging and unique story to add to the collection. Not only did the plot sound great, but it also had James Patterson's stamp of approval. Unfortunately, within a few pages, I found the narrator to be whiny and ignorant. Milman's writing comes across not as a self-conscious teen, but rather as an adult trying to embody a teen's voice with slightly out-of-touch language. The sense of entitlement of the narrator (complaining about a trip to Mexico in the first few pages and later griping about the fancy college he intends to go to). As a result, I could not appreciate the story - it was a frustrating reading experience overall.
I purchased this book for our teen collection before reading it, but once I got the ARC, I started it. The narration was conversational and more mature than I was expecting. The first chapter didn't really suck me in like I was expecting. However, I can see this book doing well in our collection, and up to this point, it has circ'd well!
I received an ARC of Swipe Right for Murder from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. It was published on August 6th.

I must have forgotten what what Swipe Right for Murder was about by time I got around to reading it, because it ended up being completely different than I originally thought it was going to be? But now reading the description again after finishing the book, I see that it was exactly what the description says haha. :P I think that's part of why I gave it a 3 out of 5 stars. I was expecting something totally different, but totally my fault since I didn't read the description again before starting the book, lol.

With that being said, I still really enjoyed Swipe Right for Murder. I had a lot of fun reading it and it was a pretty interesting story. There were quite a few twists involved and a couple that I didn't see coming. I really liked the main character, Aidan and I really felt for him and was rooting for him the entire way through. He is dealing with so many things in his life and then he's thrown into this crazy situation. He doesn't know who to trust and I honestly had no idea who to trust either. I was just as confused and frustrated as Aidan was throughout the book.

I don't want to talk about too much, because I don't want to give away any spoilers and it's hard to do with thriller books; at least for me, haha. Overall though, I thought Swipe Right for Murder was a really good story even though it was completely different than I originally thought. Totally my fault with that though, lol. I had a lot of fun reading it and it kept me guessing and questioning what was really happening. It also has a lot of LGBT themes and I felt like it was relevant and relatable. I would definitely recommend picking this one up. Don't let my three star rating fool you, because it really was a good book.
So glad I was given an arc of this by netgalley in exchange for a
My honest opinion. I absolutely loved this book so much. Great plot and writing by the author.
I tried to like this one, but it just wasn't for me. It happens. I just couldn't really get into the story, and found it a little confusing at times. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset for this one, because I honestly thought I would love it.
I read this book as I was moving back to my hometown to go to University and it was definitely a trip.

I liked the idea behind the plot and I was really hoping to love this story! But, sadly, I did not.

I had a hard time trying to figure out what exactly was happening and the romance-ish plot line confused me to no end, and the pacing felt incredibly off to me. There were a few other smaller things but these were the major points that I had problems with.

All in all, this book just wasn't for me.
I get what MIlman is trying to achieve here. First, we have the ease with which marginalized people can be radicalized. And the ways in which law enforcement manipulate people who find themselves in trouble. Those two things alone are important for people to know and understand. And I can understand, to a degree, the protagonist sympathizing with the terrorists' sentiments. I understand that when you feel hate and judgement heaped upon you by strangers the impulse to return that hate. I can see feeling vindicated by an attack. But the levels to which the terrorists attack is pretty extreme. I found a lot of the reactions by various characters disingenuous.
I did not realize going into this book that it was a modern retelling of an old Alfred Hitchcock movie by the name of North By Northwest. I loved those old movies, and although I don’t think I have seen this particular one, I definitely got that Hitchcock movie vibe from this book. Just like those movies, this was a very fast paced book that was hard to put down.

Aiden was a very likable teen, even though he tended to fall in like with every good looking guy he met. His hooking up with random guys is also what gets him into trouble in the first place. He does have a troubled past which is doled out slowly through flashbacks through out the book. His family is not exactly supportive of him either, I really did not like his mom, but his sister at least tries. Aiden’s strength comes from his friends, who also have some issues, but they are there when he needs their help.

The focus of the story is very much on Aiden, and the other characters are not as well developed as they could be. But as this is a plot driven story, we can forgive that. Although there is one secondary character that does need to be mentioned, Silas. He appears out of nowhere and helps Aiden out of a jam. Aiden doesn’t know him at all, but hey he’s cute so why not? Even though I really liked Silas, I never really trusted him, which sometimes I was right about.

The plot was pretty riveting, although somewhat predictable. There were some mighty big twists, that weren’t always foreseeable. But sometimes the narrative was moving so fast that you didn’t have time to stop and think, just like Aiden. There is one minor plot point that really bugged me though. Aiden and Silas were rushing off to save the world when they suddenly stop to have this five minute conversation about their feelings for each other. I was just sort of put off by that, come on guys, people’s lives are depending on you. Stop being emotional and get the job done. Just saying. The ending was great and pretty realistic, with everything not ending tied up in a neat bow.

Overall a pretty captivating and entertaining read that I really enjoyed. If you like the old Hitchcock films, certainly give this book a try, you won’t be disappointed.
After I finished this book, I had to take a day to gather my thoughts before I could write a review.

Overall, I did enjoy the book and would probably recommend it to others who enjoy YA mystery/thrillers. It was entertaining and I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened. I love finding new books that have LGBTQ+ characters and relevant topics.

While the book did have a defined villain, I couldn’t help but have some of the same feelings that the MC did regarding what the terror group was trying to accomplish. Terroristic acts and murder are bad but especially as a queer person it’s easy to see the hurt and anger behind them. Having some of the same back and forth feelings like the MC did made for an interesting read.

I did have a few issues with this book. The book covers some heavy topics and for the most part did that well. However, I didn’t feel like the teen/adult relationship was properly discussed. IIRC, only ONE time in the entire book was it mentioned that the adult in this relationship was wrong and had taken advantage of a teenage boy. I know from Aiden’s pov he was heartbroken and in pain and it did explore that. I just wish the book had taken a harder stance on inappropriate relationships.

Also, another review had mentioned that the characters seemed more like college kids than HS seniors and I have to agree. Several times while reading I would forget the characters were as young as they are because for the most part they did not act their age. In some parts the characters would be saying things and acting like more mid 20’s kids and then out of no where they’d do something immature or petulant. As if the writer just remembered that they are supposed to be teenagers.

This book was definitely entertaining and thought provoking. I was only going to read a few pages before bed but ended up staying up late to finish. I’d be interested to read more by this author.
I LOVED Scream All Night and was so excited got this book. I wanted to love it but I struggled with it. I can’t pinpoint the issue though. It was fast paced and I loved the LGBTQ aspect but I never really connected with the main character.