Swapping Purples for Yellows

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

Was a good easy read. However the ending was very abrupt. Not sure how I was expecting it to end but felt like a lot of effort was put in to build characters at the beginning and then the author had to meet deadlines and quickly ended the book.
Enjoyable novel that draws you in from the first chapter.  Great character development.  Kept me wanting to flip the pages to see what was going to happen next.
Enjoyable book.

Thanks Southern Fried Karma and NetGalley for the ARC of the book!!!
Great read. The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.
This is a well written, well paced novel centred around a dysfunctional campus family during the course of homecoming weekend.  The stand out characters to me were the two daughters, Katie and Robin, as they struggle with their own issues while watching their family apparently fall apart.  They are exceptionally well drawn, complex and warm.

However, the reason I have given this book just 3 stars, despite appreciating the writing, is simply because I found the two main characters, Rob and Molly, and their relationship, intensely unlikeable.  I couldn't  find anything redeemable about either of these characters, which was frustrating because it really did ruin my enjoyment of this  otherwise excellent novel.

Despite this, I will definitely keep an eye out for future Matthew Duffus releases.

This book is published on 6 August.  Thank you to the author, publisher and Netgalley for the advance copy in return for an unbiased review.
A super read that may have some of its readers start to reminisce about their college days.

Dr. Rob Sutherland is a full professor of English at a college in rural North Carolina. His wife, Molly teaches there, also, as an adjunct professor in Philosophy. Their daughters, Katie (17) and Robin (13) are also quite well depicted in this story. At the start, Dr. Delacroix, Rob's best friend at the college, and Rob are discussing the upcoming Homecoming Weekend. Also, that there will be a Chair Endowment to the English department given by a former student, Evan Wykoff. Evan is now a very rich man who had attended the college and will make the announcement.

Rob and Molly are not getting along very well. She feels stuck as an adjunct and has applied to a college 5 hours away. She can go home on weekends (?) Katie wants to go into fashion design and Robin is a piano wonder.

The story continues on over a 3 day span of Homecoming Weekend with a few surprises the reader does not see coming!

Recommend!

Many Thanks to Southern Fried Karma publishers and NetGalley for a fun read!
Hated the title, loved the book.  SWAPPING PURPLES FOR YELLOWS is reminiscent of Chabon's WONDER BOYS and Zadie Smith's ON BEAUTY in that it is a fascinating look at at the internal  of university professors and how their failure or success in the academic realm affect their family lives.  The characters were realistic and relatable and I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
Swapping Purples for Yellows is a fun and satisfying campus novel set in rural North Carolina.  Rob Southerland , is a professor at a small college who is hoping to receive an endowed chair during Homecoming weekend.  Back for the weekend are famous alumni, who, famously, didn't fare well in Rob's courses.  Meanwhile, his wife, an adjunct professor, has decided to take a visiting professorship across the state to further her career and further the distance between herself and her husband.  Finally, their teenage daughter, finds herself tangled up both literally and figuratively with one of Rob's current students.  I love a campus novel and this one hits on all cylinders.  And, I'm excited to see a new (to me) publisher on the scene.  I met some folks at Southern Fried Karma (that name!) at the Decatur Book Festival in 2018 and have been on the lookout for their books to read.  Love a publisher wanting to spread that southern love.