A Voice as Soft as a Honey Bee's Flutter

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Wonderful illustrations. I appreciated the idea of trying to take something tangible and available to everyone to describe a challenging concept. I also loved that the author honored his brother and his experience through this book. Well done.
I don't read a lot of parables but the cover art on this one made me want to give it a try. I loved the illustrations throughout, and it turned out to be a cute story about trusting God to lead you in the right direction.
I think this book would be of interest to those who are religious.. This book will appeal to a variety of people who worship and could be useful in crafting conversations about the fact that this is just one way to believe or have faith.
*thank you to Netgalley, Discovery House Publishers and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

This is a touching book. It's heart felt and told well, about a little boy who is spoken to by God. It was really sweet and I really liked the last pages of the book where we are told about his life and who he grew up to be. This is a beautiful book
"A Voice as Soft as a Honey Bee’s Flutter" by Jan Spivey Gilchrist is an illustrative story about a boy's encounter with an inner voice that teaches him to stay still and calm. Junior, who is the son of a Christian preacher, is guided by this voice and protected during a thunderstorm. Junior has to determine if the voice is the memory of his dad’s voice, his own imagination, or God’s voice. After sharing his experiences with his father, Junior realizes he is hearing the voice of God. The story shows how obedience is important even when the guiding voice is soft as a bee's flutter. This 4-star read is great for young readers who enjoy metaphors especially those familiar with the Bible. A gentle presentation on how obeying the word and voice of God can impact everyday activities.
What an amazing insightful children's story. This book should be in every home that has children. My grandchildren are all grown up now, but this would be a book that I would read to them over and over. I believe this would be one of their favorites too. The family dynamics pictured here, are true and typical to any present day family. I love the character Junior and appreciate the glimpse we get into his big heart. The watercolor pages are some of the best that I have ever seen. The story alone is great but with the artwork it becomes outstanding. I am sorry that I can only give this story 5 stars. I would rate this book a ten in every category. If you have a child or grandchild, you need this book. I received a complementary copy of this book from Discovery House through NetGalley. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.
This is a wonderful story about Jr's experience with God. He was a different child who just wanted to fit in. He had the gift of preaching and remembering Bible verses. However it seems that his new found friends and fame went to his head, so God appeared to him. The book is a good reflection of Psalm 46.
This illustrated book is a sweet message for children to "Be Still" when they feel angry or upset. It is a good reminder for adults too. It is a true little story lovingly told about Charles Spivey Junior, son of the Reverend Charles Spivey Sr. I like the stormy to peaceful feeling of the story. It isn't preachy by any means. It is a quick read to tell a child that he or she can be still in their hearts and know that the still and soft as a bee's voice is God.
The book is also 'softly' illustrated in  muted colors. I particularly like the illustration of Junior and his dad plus another page with a floral display with a bee hovering nearby. A young child could be prompted to be interactive with the book by looking for the solitary bee that is included on many pages of the book.
This book can also be a really nice conversation starter for a child and adult. I like it very much.
A Voice as Soft as a Honey Bee's Flutter tells the story of an encounter with God as experienced by Jan Spivey Gilchrist's brother when he was a child. A voice spoke to Junior; one that "knew his heart, calmed his spirit, and made him strong every day and everywhere." This voice would comfort him when he didn't seem to fit in and gave him courage when he needed it most, telling his anxious heart to be still.

What a timely reminder to simply be still and rest in the assurance that God is with me, that he is my "refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble" (from Psalm 46:1). I rest in this truth and am pleased to see a picture book for young readers that affirms this.

Jan Spivey Gilchrist is the award-winning author and illustrator of this beautiful book that is filled with heart-warming images that bring Junior's story to life. I especially appreciate those pages that speak to a father loving and guiding his son the way that Junior's did; edifying and encouraging him along the way.  If you read Nikki Grimes book The Watcher: Inspired by Psalm 121 (published in 2017), I think you might also really enjoy this one.
I liked the art and the story. However, my toddler didn't get everything going on. I'll have to wait until kiddo is older and try again.
The storyline didn't quite make sense to me. I'm familiar with the Bible verse it is based off and can infer what the moral of the story was, but I felt the author didn't portray enough of the story for a reader with unknown familiarity to grasp.
This children’s picture book is the true story of the author’s brother that is also based off verses of Psalm 46.  It shows children that God is our place of safety and gives us strength in times of trouble.

I liked how the bee was a constant in the illustrations throughout the story.  The bee shows us how God is always with us.  The colorful watercolor illustrations perfectly helped to capture the moods of the story.  The illustrations bought to life the feel of darkness and fear when called for and then the light of hope at the end of the story. I liked how the illustrations showed us African American characters.  I feel we need more stories that show diversity in characters, especially when the books are for younger children.

This story calls for us to remember to take some time out and remember to “Be still, and know that I am God.” It also encourages Bible reading by mentioning the exact verses that this story is based off of and other verses to knowing more on God.

As this is a story of the author’s younger brother, there is one page that tells us briefly of his life.  He was the middle of five children.

This children’s picture book is recommended. Special thanks to the publisher for granting me an e-arc copy to read and review via NetGalley.
God is our place of safety. He gives us strength.
He is always there to help us in times of trouble.
God’s blessings are like a river.
The Lord who rules over all is with us.
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God.

Being a preacher's son can put so much pressure on a little boy with a lot of energy such as Junior. When Junior heard a voice "Be still", it would help him to calm his heart and listen. This is his story to be told to other children. With vivid illustrations and the simple words of be still, we can find comfort when anger, anxiety, or uncontrolled thoughts wreak havoc on our hearts. This little boy listened to those words and became example of God's obedience.

A great study to share with your kiddos.

A Special Thank you to Discovery House Publishers and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest revie
This is a great book about a Bible verse and a child. It was sweet and calming to read to my nephews and it brought up questions and can be great for introducing children to religion.
"A Voice as Soft as a Honey Bee's Flutter" highlights God's presence in the lives of all of His children, while giving an incredible true account of one young boy's personal journey with God. The boy in this story is named Junior, and he is the author's little brother. At an early age, Junior began hearing the still small voice of God, giving him guidance and comfort. This led to an even bigger and miraculous encounter with God. Lovely watercolored illustrations help tell this inspirational story.

This is a beautiful little book!
A sweet book relaying the importance of faith in a way only a child often can. The beautiful illustrations bring the book to life and make it even more meaningful.
A Voice as Soft as a Honey Bee's Flutter: Inspired by Psalm 46 by Jan Spivey Gilchrist, author and illustrator. Discovery House Publishers. Discovery House. Children’s Fiction, Christian.
Publication date is set for 14 August 2019. 5 Stars.

Spectacular, profound, this picture book is a lighthouse for any child’s library. In this outstanding story of spiritual renewal in a child’s life you will find the presence of God abounding—vital messages on the soul level for both young and old. The art is colorful and soothing yet dynamic and captures perfectly the true story within. The author/illustrator is a winner of the Coretta Scott King Honor Award and has been inducted into the Society of Illustrators in 2001 as well as the International Literary Hall of Fame for Writers of African Descent in 1999. There are not enough stars in the sky with which to rate this book! Highly recommend!

Thank to NetGalley and the author and publisher for providing this ebook for review.
Nice little story about trusting in God, i just read this tom my 7 years old daughter and she just smiled, and than a little bit sad she said" i am like his sisters ...."
i give her a big kiss and huge hug!
What a cute little book about trusting in God. I just read with my granddaughters and they loved it.
The illustrations were colorful and fun.
I thought the illustrations were very well done.  I like the consistent use of the bee throughout the story.  I thought the message about the bee actually being a God might be very difficult for young children to understand.  My daughter thought the bee was Junior’s conscience and I could see this being a common misconception among younger readers.