Cover Image: Diana: Princess of the Amazons

Diana: Princess of the Amazons

I liked this telling of Diana (aka wonder woman) when she was a little kid.  There's a good moral to the story, but also just some fun adventure and fighting monsters.  This would be great for a younger reader to get them excited about reading.  The illustrations are great, too.  I enjoyed this book and am excited to share it with my kids.

Thank you NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Diana: Princess of the Amazon is a graphic novel Shannon Hale and Dean Hale that follows a young Diana on her home island of Themyscria. At 11, Diana has lived a happy life, surrounded by all the Amazons who live on the island with her. But she’s beginning to feel less and less comfortable with her place on Themyscria. There are no other children for Diana to play with, all the Amazons have responsibilities, and Diana’s mom has less time for her.

After getting into trouble of a small mistake, Diana decides that she needs to make a friend. She creates a friend from clay, and like the magic that brought Diana to life, she wishes for her friend to be real. Diana’s clay sculpture comes to life and Diana quickly names the girl Mona and the two become swift friends. However, Mona may not be the best influence on Diana and Diana is left to figure out what is right and prove she is a true Amazon.

I went into this book not knowing a lot about Wonder Woman other than what I’ve seen in the recent Wonder Woman movie. I was excited to see Wonder Woman before she was a superhero, living as a child in her home community. The way Diana was portrayed as a young child is very relatable and I’m sure younger readers will be able to connect with her.

I enjoyed the art style throughout the book. The second half of the book features colorful monsters that feel very unique to this story. In most portrayals of monsters in graphic novels that I’ve read, they tend to be drawn with dark colors while this book turned that artistic trope on its head to feature monsters that are bright pink, orange, blue, and green.

The exploration of Diana growing up and not feeling like she is a real Amazon was a big feature in the story. Diana is learning to have more responsibility and understand consequences for poor choices. She is also learning to navigate friendship with someone her own age, which is a new experience for her as the only child on Themyscira. The exploration of friendship, responsibility, and consequences make this a great read for upper elementary students, especially those who are moving and making new friends.

Overall, Diana: Princess of the Amazons is a good story about growing up and navigating responsibilities and friendship. I would recommend this to readers who love superheroes or are interested in getting to know more about Wonder Woman. I gave this book 3 out 5 stars.
This graphic novel of Wonder Woman         (Diana) as a girl is a cautionary tale. As the only child in the Amazonian community, Diana wants a playmate. After she makes one from clay, it comes alive.  Readers will be able to see that her the new friend, Mona, is a problematic friend pretty early. There are some scary moments with monsters and battle, but no one is shown with injuries. Ying’s illustrations are full of color and engaging, making each character unique. I would recommend this to young superhero fans between mid-elementary to late middle grade age.

I read the completed copy of this book.  Thank you to DC Comics and NetGalley for sharing the e-galley copy with me. My opinions and reviews are my own.
This was a really cute version of Diana! This book is well written and the illustrations was very good! This was a very charming take on the Warrior Woman!
Diana: Princess of the Amazons is a great introduction to the Wonder Woman character for older elementary and middle school aged readers. It would be a fantastic addition to any graphic novel collection. The graphic novel has a good text to graphics visual that won't intimidate reluctant readers. It would be a good fit for a graphic novel club within a school or public library system.
Thank you NetGalley and DC Entertainment for sharing an eARC of Shannon Hale’s newest book. I am a huge fan of Wonder Woman and so that is why I knew I had to read this book. It was a fun and engaging take on the classic story and one that my sixth graders will be drawn to. I gave this book 5 stars and will definitely be buying for my classroom.
Shannon Hale consistently delivers good writing. It's fun to see more adventures of Diana on her home island. Purchased for my library!
5 Show more
Review	If you've read Hale(s) before, you know this will have humor, warmth and a dose of hard love thrown in. This Diana isn't Wonder Woman yet, she's a young girl on an island of adults who wants to sometimes not be an adult. She wants to goof off and skip school and play tricks.

She wants to be a kid.

A fun, light romp wherein our one day Warrior learns a few things about letting others influence your actions as well as taking responsibility when those actions bring chaos.
Diana: Princess of the Amazons is an excellently woven origin tale of Wonder Woman by Shannon and Dean Hale, gorgeously illustrated by Victoria Ying. Living on the island of Themyscira, Diana knows little of the truth behind her existence. What she does know, however, is that she is constantly surrounded by adult warriors and in desperate need of a friend. So, one day, when she learns the truth of how she came to be, Diana decides to take matters into her own hands. Maybe she can make herself a friend.

This middlegrade graphic novel was one of the most gorgeously illustrated that I've come across. I had so much fun flipping through the pages of exquisite artwork as I read the tale.

The story, while certainly fun and engaging, was at times a bit odd to me. The fact of the matter is that I didn't know much about Wonder Woman before reading this. Honestly, I doubt I'd have even recognized it was a story about Wonder Woman at all had it not been for the synopsis actually mentioning it. And really, I don't think many kids reading this will recognize that either. But what was really strange to me was just the nature of the friend she ends up making.

I guess I just didn't expect it to be dark in that way.

Regardless of this, though, Diana: Princess of the Amazons is a genuinely fun and thoroughly entertaining read. Whether you're a fan of Wonder Woman or not, I imagine just about anyone could fall in love with this book.

I was provided a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely loved this book. It is one that I am going to be purchasing for my classroom library from the book fair this year for sure.
Diana: Princess of the Amazons is a must buy for my library collection!  The action, adventure and quest for herself make Diana even more relatable.  Shannon Hale did amazing work on this title, I know that it is going to fly off my shelves.
I purchased this one for my classroom, and it is much loved by the students. Greek mythology is something that is ever popular with upper elementary, and they enjoy these immensely. We have quite a few, and we're working on getting the whole series.
A beautifully done story with a relatable moral, this is a perfect comic for a younger generation. Diana: Princess of the Amazons tells about Diana's struggle with loneliness, something common amog children particularly only children. After making herself a friend, Diana finds herself in trouble she wouldn't be in otherwise.

While blatantly made for children, the comic tells its story and moral without a heavy hand or much fluff. It is an overall cute story perfect for new readers and fans alike.
This was a great, well-executed novel for middle grades or maybe slightly younger. The portrayal of Diana as a lonely, only child is pretty great and obviously children will find this relate-able. The artwork was cute but also really flushed out.
I liked the artwork of this one. It was cute and adorable and I really liked it as a younger graphic novel to introduce kids to DC comics. I love Wonder Woman and this was a very refreshing graphic novel!
Diana, Princess of the Amazons, is bored. She lives in an amazing place full of potential adventure, but she has no one to share her experiences with. She discovers the hard way that we have to be careful not to let our loneliness lull us into friendships that may not be healthy.

This action-packed, middle-grade graphic novel has vivid art and a story sure to appeal to adventurous children. Only children, in particular, may resonate with it. While this isn't one of those stories that will stay with you for a lifetime, it is a book that can help a young person to cope with the difficulties of the transition into adolescence and the loneliness that often accompanies it.

Appropriate for ages 7 to 11.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. Many thanks to all involved in providing me with this opportunity.
I loved this new graphic novel by Shannon and Dean Hale! I know how much they love comics, and that totally shines through in this book! I love that it is written for younger readers than traditional comic books are, and that it is about "Wonder Woman". My students are loving this book!
I love mythology, taken as many classes as my college would allow me to take so I was really suprised how much mythology is in Diana Princess of the Amazons! I guess I shouldn't have been if I had seen the Wonder Woman movie but it's next on my list of movies to watch now. This graphic novel has chapters and reads just like a book. The illustrations are bright and vibrant. You learn so much about Diana before she becomes Wonder Woman. It was fun to see this super hero as a child. Her life is like most kids playing outside, playing ball games, going to school. Except she lives in Themyscira, and her mom is a Goddess.  It's a lonley life being the only kid. Everyone is full grown on the island and doesn't age,  so Diana creates a friend out of clay ( or so she thinks). However she is tricked and her "friend" gets her into a lot of mischief and does thinks she wouldn't normally do. In Diana Princess of the Amazons you will be introduced to many people and locations in greek mythology like Tartarus and Circe. I really enjoyed this graphic novel and would love more as Diana grows up and becomes Wonder Woman.
*I received this book as an eARC from DC Comics via NetGalley. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

This middle grade graphic novel finds Diana as a lonely only child. Literally, there are no other children in her society. This is many years before she takes on the role of Wonder Woman. Diana is at that stage of her life where she feels the pull of two worlds. Childhood is starting to disinterest her. Dolls have been left behind.

Diana ends up finding a friend her own age, but her new pal is quite mischievous. It's new to Diana to have a peer. They're definitely going to get into trouble.

This is a cute simple story. The story works great for a middle grade audience and could even be read to younger fans. I give this book a 3.5/5.
I am a huge fan of Wonder Woman. This was entertaining and will be eaten up by middle grade readers who aren't quite ready for the teen/adult comics. With the upcoming movie, this will be popular for sure.