Nancy

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Sep 2019

Nancy is a classic cartoon strip that debuted in the 1930’s. One of the key characteristics of Nancy that has made it so popular has been its ability to tap into popular culture. While many comics attempt this, they also have their own unique brand of humor. The brand of humor that Nancy uses is an amalgamation of popular culture references, witty and dry humor, and an uncanny sense of awareness. Olivia Jaimes’s revamp of this classic brought with it references to the technological era, with Nancy carrying a cellphone and exhibiting all the characteristics of a modern era youth; the witty humor of an adult mixed with the innocence of a child; and a self-awareness that surpasses any other comic of classic origins.

This makes Nancy such a more intriguing character and gives the comic an inclusive feel more akin to a play or film that breaks the fourth wall. Additionally, the level of self-awareness this comic possesses adds to the hilarity of the comic and makes you feel as though you are in on some secret joke with Nancy that the rest of the comic characters are not privy to. Overall, I feel this comic is something to be enjoyed by all ages. Those familiar with the comic from decades past can reminisce with Nancy via hints made to her prior self, newcomers can bask in the humor and mature wit Nancy has that belies her years, and younger audiences can relate to Nancy's youthful innocence on modern day topics.

I highly recommend reading the letter from the author (towards the end of the book) and understanding her motivations in reworking the comic. The classic essence remains, which was her primary goal, but she also discusses her process of bringing Nancy (the character and the comic) into the modern age. Beautifully crafted and illustrated, brilliantly narrated and foretold - Nancy continues to be a multi-generational sensation.
During all my other reading, and partially completed hobbies I like dabbling in comics and books which house entire comic strips. I get my daily dose from Instagram now, pretty much the only use I put my Instagram account to.

The original comic strip was not a regular in the newspaper we subscribed to at home, so I only have a fleeting understanding of the unique dynamics of all the characters in the narrative. This author(who is now penning the comics) has indicated her love for the original, and this book came with an interview which gave a better perspective on the inclusion of computers and robotics into the comic strip. Nancy is a pretty self-absorbed child and has few friends but has bursts of being helpful. Comic strips like these are definitely not meant to be read at a stretch since they might feel like an overload. Some of the comics were funnier than the others but definitely worth dipping into from time to time.

I received an ARC thanks to NetGalley and the publishers, but the review is entirely based on my own reading experience and my prior inclinations towards cutting out comic strips from newspapers (when I still had newspapers delivered )
As noted, this is a continuation of the Nancy comic strip by a new author. There is modern day technology and plenty of sarcasm.
If you loved the Nancy comic strip from yesteryear, I think it's worth your time to read this new take on Nancy. She's not exactly the same as the original creation but the times are different and Olivia Jaimes seems to have a great handle on how Nancy navigates this modern world. I found Nancy a bit more edgy and the comic is occasionally too-meta but overall, I thought the author did a great job. Nancy can be sarcastic and self-centered, but she also makes you laugh at her antics.
I'd never read the original Nancy comic strip, though I was vaguely aware of it's existence. . Jaimes has really captured the old fashioned visual vibe while updating a fair amount of the content.
While I'd only seen a few of these comics shared around via social media, reading the last year or so of Olivia Jaimes' run on 'Nancy' was refreshing and funny, especially thanks to the slight updates to keep with the times.
* I received this book free of charge from NetGalley.
I was able to read this book through a galley from the publisher.

This collection of the updated Nancy comic strips is a fun stroll, though you'll quickly hit a wall if you try reading it all at once. Best browsed through, the strips have this zen-like emptiness about them that bounce from meta to a soft look at the meaning of life.
First compilation of the newspaper comic strip re-launched by Olivia Jaimes in 2018.

I grew up with the original run by Ernest Bushmiller; i also love to play Five Card Nancy (https://www.scottmccloud.com/4-inventions/nancy/index.html)

Jaimes has modernized the character - Nancy's in a robotics club and hates to be separately from her smart phone - while staying true to Nancy's stubbornness and surreality. I had heard good things about the reboot. It was fun, i might even try to follow it online now.
I remember Nancy from when I was a kid, and I jumped at the opportunity to read this new graphic novel. It was as I remembered, but modern and still easy to read and relatable. I still love the simplistic design and the colors, and it was a pleasant throwback for me!
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley!

My children and I both loved this !       They also enjoyed the fact that I knew of this comic as a child myself!
Nancy is a very cute comic strip collection. I laughed out loud on many instances!

I would like to thank the publisher for giving me a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I did not really get into this one, I usually love graphic novels but this was not for me. This is a compilation of life snippets, which makes it hard to read in one seating. I will be honest, I did not finish it.
This collection includes strips from Jaimes’ first year of running Nancy. It has several laugh out loud moments throughout, and I find myself wanting to read more of the daily strip. There isn’t an overarching storyline to the collection. Instead, the strips are mostly just episodic hi-jinks or one-off jokes. Nancy does slowly but surely learn more about building robots in her robotics club, but that’s more about the comedic potential of Nancy building and controlling something mechanical.

If you’re looking for a good laugh from a strip that feels “relatable” without pandering, then you should definitely check out Olivia Jaimes’ Nancy.
I was never a big reader of comic books, but like most children I wanted to read the comics in the newspaper and I always read Nancy first. I think I enjoyed how real she seemed... like a girl I could know. She was just a normal kid like me. She was a bit sassy at times; she was awkward; she was imperfect. And I loved all of that about her.

I looked it up. The original strip debute in 1922. So when I read them in the 1960s and 1970s she was already middle aged. But a year ago Olivia Jaimes brought Nancy back to the page and created the same vivid girl with the same iconic look, but very modern struggles. This Nancy stays up into the wee hours playing on her phone. This Nancy is on Instagram and is worried about the number of Followers. This Nancy uses today's slang and reminds her aunt that "fresh" no longer means "rude." This Nancy even wears pants!

I am aware that some fans were disappointed, but I loved them. The comic is still about the normal life of a normal girl. It is just about a normal girl living in this decade. It is funny, a bit silly, and sometimes heartwarming. And for me, it was very nostalgic and sweet.

Nancy is a great comic for girls because it isn't often that the comic's star is a girl and even rarer that the artist is a woman.

Thank You NetGalley, Olivia Jaimes and the publisher for the digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Nancy is an 8 year old girl with clearly defined ideas, a sharp tongue and ready to refut any ideas with which she does not agree. She has an overwhelming logic and a lot of nerve. She keeps to herself, she was born in the age of internet so this is her best ally and her only reliable source. Sluggo is her best and only friend.

In a society like today, where appearances are so important and where social networks collect so much data of our day to day, it is inevitable to read this comic and not see ourselves somehow reflected. I didn’t expect to laugh so much.

Nancy has reminded me of very absurd and fun moments in my life. Somehow, she’s got me to see things that surround me from a different perspective than usual and has been a new and rewarding experience.

I like the contrast between the text, which very aptly reflects society and current times and these timeless images. Olivia Jaimes has a very fine sense of humor that along with his irony and ease They get a fun but very faithful portrait of today.

It is also curious how she describes people, how we see ourselves and how we perceive the world around us. The complexity of the human being and their way of reinventing and updating each time.

I really enjoyed. I didn’t know this comic or tebeo but I’ve already declared myself a Nancy fan. Suitable for all audiences.

………………..
Nancy es una niña de 8 años con las ideas muy claras, una lengua afilada y lista para rebatir cualquier idea con la que no esté de acuerdo. Tiene una lógica aplastante y mucha cara dura. Es poco sociable, ha nacido en la época de internet así que este es su mejor aliado y su única fuente fiable. Sluggo es su mejor y único amigo.

En una sociedad como la actual, donde las apariencias son tan importantes y en donde las redes sociales recogen tantos datos de nuestro día a día, es inevitable leer este cómic y no vernos de alguna forma reflejados. No esperaba reírme tanto.

Nancy me ha hecho recordar momentos muy absurdos y divertidos de mi vida. En cierta forma, ha conseguido que vea las cosas que me rodean desde una perspectiva diferente a la habitual y ha sido una experiencia novedosa y gratificante.

Me gusta el contraste entre el texto, que refleja muy acertadamente a la sociedad y tiempos actuales y estas imágenes tan atemporales. Olivia Jaimes tiene un sentido del humor muy fino que junto a su ironía y desparpajo consiguen un retrato divertido pero muy fiel de la actualidad.

Resulta curiosa también la forma en que describe a las personas, cómo nos vemos a nosotros mismos y cómo percibimos el mundo que nos rodea. La complejidad del ser humano y su forma de reinventarse y actualizarse cada vez.

Me ha encantado. No conocía este cómic pero desde ya me declaro una fan de Nancy. Apta para todos los públicos.
An excellent collection of cartoons. Olivia James has brought the classic comic strip Nancy into the 21st century. Each strip will at least make you chuckle internally and at most laugh out loud and laugh again when you think about it days, weeks and months later. A near perfect take on a simple comic suitable for children and adults.
This tickled me to the core. Olivia Jaimes' mastery of the character of Nancy is just wonderful! I read through this quickly but then went back and found my favorites to read again. This will definitely have me looking in the comic section of the paper for a long time!
I’ve never read any of the classic Nancy comics, but her look is iconic. I feel like I could identify a Nancy comic from across the room by the shape of Nancy’s head alone. The fact that those comics were ubiquitous enough to become iconic but passé enough that I’d never read any of them is a fascinating contradiction.

Nancy is one of a handful of undead syndicated comics, kept running by a series of artists after the original artist died. It’s the sort of thing that newspapers carry by default for the sort of people who still get newspapers and read the comics section. That’s why the handoff to Olivia Jaimes was such a shock to the system; after decades of comfortable, predictable irrelevancy, Nancy was suddenly reentering the pop culture discussion and getting read and shared by young people.

One of the most interesting things about Jaimes is that she wanted to bring Nancy back to her original spirit while updating the trappings of the strip for modern times. Her predecessor had turned Nancy into a parade of cutesiness and made the strip toothless and unfunny. Jaimes’ vision of Nancy was as a stubborn little girl who is always scheming, in a strip packed full of absurd jokes that sometimes get a little meta.

The most famous Nancy image from Jaimes’ reign so far, “Sluggo is Lit“, is a meta joke about the cartoonist not wanting to do a strip and providing previews of upcoming stories, but it’s also a poke at the sort of people upset that Jaimes is updating Nancy with modern sensibilities. The only reason that anyone is talking about Nancy comics in 2019 is because Jaimes made them resonant for our times.

The aptly named Nancy by Olivia Jaimes is a comic collection that covers the first nine months of Jaimes’ run on Nancy. Nows as good a time as any to tell you that NetGalley provided me with a free digital copy for reviewing purposes. It’s just as well, it saved me from having to hunt down all of the strips individually online- and boy, it did not disappoint. Within the first few pages of the comic we get a mix of both the old and new Nancy. We see Nancy going completely insane on some cornbread, sharing earbuds with Sluggo, thinking about herself, and talking about life with Sluggo (while both gaze at their phones). Nancy may have been upgraded to a new generation, but her essence is still there- even the meta artist-shaming jokes are there, with a notice that “Any questionable art from now on is because Nancy and Sluggo are using a snapchat filter”.

The storylines are simplistic and easy- we see Nancy joining Robotics club, but aside from her own created dramatics, there’s no rise and fall to the story. The strips are bite-sized and able to be digested on their own and out of order, and if it weren’t for the occasional introduction of new characters of the mention of time-relevant holidays (this is the newspaper’s funnies strip, after all) I wouldn’t have even noticed the order that the comics go in. It was easy for me to get a few strips in, get a laugh, send a strip to my fiance to tell him “look it’s you” at one of Sluggo’s misfortunes, and then go back to work.

The art in Nancy isn’t always perfect. The artist herself knows it, and pokes fun at it. But what is always in check is the humor. I found myself laughing constantly at Nancy’s well relatable despairs and hopes for her an easy and fun life. Nancy is my millenial id, seeking only the pleasure of video games during a day of school or work. She reaches the most selfish and irresponsible parts of my soul- and that’s why I love her, and why this collection made me laugh so much. From wondering if her friends angry with her for ending a text with a period, to ragging on people who brag on social media on social media, Nancy gets me. And I think that if you read it, you’ll find she gets you too. You just may have to look past the smartphones and selfie sticks and hover boards to do so.