Cover Image: Nancy

Nancy

I absolutely adored this collection of the Nancy comic. Olivia has a real talent for keeping the well loved classic enjoyable while imparting a modern edge. Nancy has quickly become my new favorite comic and Olivia an artist to watch.
This book transported me back to my childhood.  I would pick this book up, read a few comics, smile, and continue on with my day.  If I needed a pick me up, I would read a few comics and transport myself back to my carefree, younger days.  Definitely not a book that I would read straight through, but it was a nice pick me up when needed.
Nancy is just always such a good read, and this collection of comics just had their funniest!
Nancy is a "mood" as the kids say this days, and there's not one comic strip that doesn't at the very least leave you with a smile on your face!
I used to love the Nancy comics as a kid and being able to read them again in this recently published comic was just wonderful. The illustrations are wonderful and the stories are always so much fun. This book will be perfect both for old fans and new readers alike.
This comic book was so adorable. I love how Nancy is sassy and so adorable. Apparently, these comics appeared in the newspaper, but I never had the opportunity to see them as my local newspaper didn't publish them. I'm glad I get to see Nancy in book-form. Definitely recommend reading. :)
I have always been a fan of Nancy. She always reminds me of my childhood. This comic strip was funny, new and very refreshing. I and my kids enjoyed every bit of it.
During all my other reading, and partially completed hobbies I like dabbling in comics and books which house entire comic strips. I get my daily dose from Instagram now, pretty much the only use I put my Instagram account to.

The original comic strip was not a regular in the newspaper we subscribed to at home, so I only have a fleeting understanding of the unique dynamics of all the characters in the narrative. This author(who is now penning the comics) has indicated her love for the original, and this book came with an interview which gave a better perspective on the inclusion of computers and robotics into the comic strip. Nancy is a pretty self-absorbed child and has few friends but has bursts of being helpful. Comic strips like these are definitely not meant to be read at a stretch since they might feel like an overload. Some of the comics were funnier than the others but definitely worth dipping into from time to time.

I received an ARC thanks to NetGalley and the publishers, but the review is entirely based on my own reading experience and my prior inclinations towards cutting out comic strips from newspapers (when I still had newspapers delivered )
As noted, this is a continuation of the Nancy comic strip by a new author. There is modern day technology and plenty of sarcasm.
If you loved the Nancy comic strip from yesteryear, I think it's worth your time to read this new take on Nancy. She's not exactly the same as the original creation but the times are different and Olivia Jaimes seems to have a great handle on how Nancy navigates this modern world. I found Nancy a bit more edgy and the comic is occasionally too-meta but overall, I thought the author did a great job. Nancy can be sarcastic and self-centered, but she also makes you laugh at her antics.
I'd never read the original Nancy comic strip, though I was vaguely aware of it's existence. . Jaimes has really captured the old fashioned visual vibe while updating a fair amount of the content.
While I'd only seen a few of these comics shared around via social media, reading the last year or so of Olivia Jaimes' run on 'Nancy' was refreshing and funny, especially thanks to the slight updates to keep with the times.
* I received this book free of charge from NetGalley.
I was able to read this book through a galley from the publisher.

This collection of the updated Nancy comic strips is a fun stroll, though you'll quickly hit a wall if you try reading it all at once. Best browsed through, the strips have this zen-like emptiness about them that bounce from meta to a soft look at the meaning of life.
First compilation of the newspaper comic strip re-launched by Olivia Jaimes in 2018.

I grew up with the original run by Ernest Bushmiller; i also love to play Five Card Nancy (https://www.scottmccloud.com/4-inventions/nancy/index.html)

Jaimes has modernized the character - Nancy's in a robotics club and hates to be separately from her smart phone - while staying true to Nancy's stubbornness and surreality. I had heard good things about the reboot. It was fun, i might even try to follow it online now.
I remember Nancy from when I was a kid, and I jumped at the opportunity to read this new graphic novel. It was as I remembered, but modern and still easy to read and relatable. I still love the simplistic design and the colors, and it was a pleasant throwback for me!
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley!

My children and I both loved this !       They also enjoyed the fact that I knew of this comic as a child myself!
Nancy is a very cute comic strip collection. I laughed out loud on many instances!

I would like to thank the publisher for giving me a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I did not really get into this one, I usually love graphic novels but this was not for me. This is a compilation of life snippets, which makes it hard to read in one seating. I will be honest, I did not finish it.
This collection includes strips from Jaimes’ first year of running Nancy. It has several laugh out loud moments throughout, and I find myself wanting to read more of the daily strip. There isn’t an overarching storyline to the collection. Instead, the strips are mostly just episodic hi-jinks or one-off jokes. Nancy does slowly but surely learn more about building robots in her robotics club, but that’s more about the comedic potential of Nancy building and controlling something mechanical.

If you’re looking for a good laugh from a strip that feels “relatable” without pandering, then you should definitely check out Olivia Jaimes’ Nancy.
I was never a big reader of comic books, but like most children I wanted to read the comics in the newspaper and I always read Nancy first. I think I enjoyed how real she seemed... like a girl I could know. She was just a normal kid like me. She was a bit sassy at times; she was awkward; she was imperfect. And I loved all of that about her.

I looked it up. The original strip debute in 1922. So when I read them in the 1960s and 1970s she was already middle aged. But a year ago Olivia Jaimes brought Nancy back to the page and created the same vivid girl with the same iconic look, but very modern struggles. This Nancy stays up into the wee hours playing on her phone. This Nancy is on Instagram and is worried about the number of Followers. This Nancy uses today's slang and reminds her aunt that "fresh" no longer means "rude." This Nancy even wears pants!

I am aware that some fans were disappointed, but I loved them. The comic is still about the normal life of a normal girl. It is just about a normal girl living in this decade. It is funny, a bit silly, and sometimes heartwarming. And for me, it was very nostalgic and sweet.

Nancy is a great comic for girls because it isn't often that the comic's star is a girl and even rarer that the artist is a woman.

Thank You NetGalley, Olivia Jaimes and the publisher for the digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.