Cover Image: Abduction

Abduction

This book pulled me right in! This was a great story and it kept you turning the pages. Definitely a must read.
Echoes of Maddy McCann in some ways with a 3 year old going missing (this time from her birthday party) and the family in limbo. Her older sister Elise bumps into a grown-older Grace 14 years later. Is it her? What really happened the day of the party? Who took Grace?
A well-written book which is told from several different viewpoints. The whole story wraps together nicely and not whelmingly sweetly at the end. I'd read more by this author. Recommended.
‘I always believed that I would recognise her when I saw her again.’

Grace Bryson was playing hide and seek with other children at her third birthday party when she disappeared.  She was in the backyard of her family home in a quiet street in Leeds, UK. No one saw where Grace went, or with whom.

Fourteen years have passed, and Grace hasn’t been seen since.  Her parents have moved to France, but her big sister Elise, who was nine when Grace disappeared, has never given up looking for her.  Then, one day Elise who is now married and pregnant, sees a girl in a local department store.  She is certain the girl is Grace. The girl, whose name is Jane Solomon, helps Elise and Elise is able to get a bit of information about her.  Neither Elise’s husband Simon, nor other family members really believe her.  It has been fourteen years, and there are plenty of blue-eyed blonde-haired girls with freckled noses.

Elise is adamant, and contacts Jack Priestly, who had been the police family liaison officer when Grace went missing. Jack visits Jane’s home and speaks to her parents, who show him documentation which appears to prove that Jane is their daughter.  Elise is unconvinced, and a chance coincidence has Jack Priestley looking more closely.

Can Jane Solomon be Grace Bryson?

The story is told by several different characters, each with his or her own view of events.  While some aspects of the story can be worked out quite early, the complete story isn’t revealed until the end.

I have mixed feelings about this novel.  While I found many of the different perspectives added to the tension of the story, a couple seemed to exist as apologia for actions taken (or not). While other readers may like such completeness, I am happy to be left with a few loose ends to think about.

Note: My thanks to NetGalley and Sapere Books for providing me with a free electronic copy of this book for review purposes.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith
This is a really compelling book which I loved.The story is about the disappearance of a 3 year old, the effect on her family and the mystery of what happened to her. I was somewhat surprised that just over half way through the book you find out where the child ended up and I did wonder  what the remaining  40 percent of the book would be about.It did hold my interest and the ending was conclusive.I particularly liked the fact that the sister of the abducted child had a huge role in the book and was a genuine likeable character.I would recommend this book as a very good read.
This was a good, basic mystery.  Not much suspense and fairly predictable but fun to read.  This is a book which I would recommend to others.
Wow, fans of Jodi Piccoult are going to love this one! It seems clear cut at first but by the time you finish it, you're wondering if the "kidnappers" really were truly evil.

I can't imagine what life would be like, loosing a child. It would literally tear your world apart. And like Elise, I don't think you would ever stop searching if you didn't know whether or not your child was alive. But like Jane's mom, I also don't know how I could handle loosing my only child, either.

Neither scenario was a good one for either mother. They were both suffering mercilessly due to outside factors. But if Jane's mother truly believed what she was told, was she really to blame? Wouldn't anyone want to help, especially if it eased their own pain?

This is definitely a topic worth talking about and this book would be excellent for book clubs!
Another little girl missing book to add to my collection.  This one starts with the child missing at a birthday party and picks up years later when the older sister sees who she swears is her missing sibling on the street. Told  from multiple POV (family members, police liaison etc) the book starts well and is suspenseful.   It falters in the middle when we are given so many clues, the author gives a ‘reveal’  and then we have another third to go before another twist and suddenly all this info appears in the last few pages.  Overall okay but could have been so much better with some editing as the bones are great,
Awesome book! I cannot get enough of the kidnapping stories. At first I thought it was very similar to others plots,which there have been a few I have read in the past, but did not see the culprit or the kidnapping itself coming at all!
A toddler goes missing from a birthday party and years later her sister never gives up hope that she'll find her. She meets someone years later who she believes to be her sister grown up although nobody believes her. I found this a quick read and the plot was ludicrous. It's not particularly well written and I was very glad when it finished. The twist is unbelievable but so is the whole thing.
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

The whole story kept me intrigued but honestly, while I did enjoy it, it was rather predictable. There wasn't really any twists and turns as it was very clear what was gonna happen.
The story itself was still heartbreakingly unnerving to read, and I very much look forward to future reads from this author.
OMG! What a gripping story! I absolutely LOVED it. I couldn't stop reading. I found myself hooked. A little girl goes missing and years later she is spotted.  The question on everyone's mind, what happened? Who took her? Suffice it to say, Jackson does an incredible job of slowly revealing what everyone's thinking and what truly happened that fateful day long ago.
Abduction by Gillian Jackson
There have been too many books on missing children but sometimes even if the plot seems clichéd, we tend to identify with the torment of the parents whose precious child has gone missing without a trace. The questions running in the minds of such parents are endless and sometimes they wait for some sort of closure. But somewhere deep down they have a sliver of hope that their child will be returned to them one day. Abduction is one such book.
Fourteen years after her younger sister, Grace, disappeared on her third birthday, Elise encounters a teenager who she is sure is Grace. Her parents have moved away to France in an attempt to shut out the pain of losing their child. But after fourteen long years they are hopeful that Elise is right. Elise contacts Jack Priestly who was in charge of the case then and was their liaison officer. Jack always took this case as a personal failure as he was witness to the torture both Stephen and Margaret underwent. He takes it upon himself to solve this puzzle whether the teenage girl Elise saw in the supermarket is Grace.
The entire story is told from the perspectives of all the main characters and the readers get a glimpse of their innermost thoughts and feelings. The plot is weak because the readers guess who the culprit is almost midway. The author is not able to keep up the suspense and the readers guessing. However the author should be given due credit for her writing skills and her language. The interpretation of the event from the POV of all the characters is a genius attempt. Thank you to NetGalley for the review copy.
I give this a solid 3.5.

Abuduction was an enjoyable read. I have children the same age as the ones in the book, so this sat on my shelf a little longer than it should have, but once I started reading it, it took just over a day to finish. This book had several narrators, which made it more interesting since we got to read explanations for everything from that character's point of view, although based on the writing style, I also wondered at time whether I was ready diary entries, court testimonies, a tell-all-true-story documentary.

I solved the "who" part of the crime in the first half of the book, and while the author tried to throw the reader off a bit, it didn't work so well. There were really only two people who could have done it, so on this one, I had a 50-50 chance anyway. But, I still found the book itself enjoyable (if not the premise of a 3-year-old child who disappears from her own birthday party.) It's a decent mystery book, and I recommend it for a quick read.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a free arc of this book in exchange for my review. It did not influence my opinion.
I enjoyed it. It felt a little predictable at times but once you've read so many thrillers, especially abduction thrillers, then it gets harder for a book to surprise you. I liked the twist however, even though I predicted it - well to a point.
Overall, it was a decently good thriller and I'll be reading this author again for sure!
Fourteen years after her younger sister, Grace, disappeared, Elise encounters a teenager who she is sure is Grace.  Is it possible that Grace has been living just a short distance from her family all these years?  The narrative of this story is told by Elise, Stephen and Margaret, the parents,  Grace and Jane, Bea and Peter, the aunt and Uncle, Jack, the family liaison  officer  assigned to Grace's family, and Margaret, Jane's mother.  The multiple narrators give readers the different emotions experienced by those closest to Grace and her family as the years of searching and hoping for her safe return continue to pass.  The devastation experienced when promising leads are found to be false and as they ask themselves at what point should you give up hope.  I enjoyed the multiple viewpoints and the surprise ending of the story.  It was a fast moving story that kept me interested until the end.  Thank-you to Netgalley, Sapere Books and Gillian Jackson for an ARC in exchange for a honest review.
This book grabs you right from the beginning.  A little girl is abducted at her 3rd birthday party,  and the search begins.  It is told from multiple points of view,  the mother,  the sister, the aunt and the family liason of the police department.  It draws you in with the initial abduction and then spits you out 14 years later.  Another sighting by the older sister gets the case reopened.  I felt the book got a little calm in the middle with the events happening about how you could guess them to. Then it drew me back in the end with a twist.  Overall it was a nice read, and it definitely kept me coming back for more! #Abduction #NetGalley
Told through the perspectives of the main characters helps to give this story about a kidnapping a different view for the reader so that it doesn't become just like the other kidnapping stories out there.  The characters themselves draw you into the story and have you rooting for them to get their "happy ending" even though you know in your heart that all too often that isn't what happens in life or in stories.
I give this book 5 stars. It was a solid story with a good beginning, middle, and end. The characters were all likeable, and while I thought I had it figured out at a point early on, I was wrong. Strong conclusion tidying everything up.
Excellent debut novel from a new force in the crime writing world. Fabulously written with some great twists. I read this book in one sitting and looking forward to the next novel.
When Grace Bryson disappeared she was at her 3rd year outdoor birthday party. No one noticed where she went .. or why. All her family knows is that she is gone.

It's been 14 years and Grace has never been seen again. Her parents have moved far away to try to get rid of the grief of losing their younger daughter. Her big sister, Elise, has never forgotten and has never given up looking for her.

Now married and pregnant, she sees her sister. She can't believe it .. her sister is there. Elise tries to follow her and gets a bit of information. But no one in her family really believes her .... there are lots of blonde blue-eyed girls with freckles across their nose. But Grace is adamant that this was her sister.

But where has she been all these years and what really happened to her? Elise plans to find out.

This is a well written psychological look at a parent's worst nightmare.... how it changes the entire family's lives.... how the media portrays what they think happened ... how parents handle their grief while in the spotlight. And when is it time to abandon hope?

The reader hears from the sister, the parents the aunt and uncle, the police, the family liaison officer who plays a major role in this family. It's a real who-dun-it that kept me riveted from the very first page.

Many thanks to the author / Sapere Books / Netgalley for the digital copy of this Psychological Drama. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.