Member Review

Pub Date:

Review by

Misty M, Reviewer

My Recommendation

Spine-tingling chills from start to finish! Follow Me is more than a be careful what you wish for story, it's more like be careful what you share experience! In this day and age, it's easy to get lost in social media, constantly checking to make sure we didn't miss that notification or that DM. We want to share our meals, our kids' accomplishments, and our every waking movement. What we often fail to realize is that our underlying need to feel liked and followed, as shallow as it may seem, might ultimately lead to our downfall.

What if your follower indeed follows you home...

Kathleen Barber goes well above and beyond the call of an author, submerging the reader into the life of a social media influencer. Follow Me was, without a doubt, a five-star read for me, heading straight into my top reads of 2020! Mostly, and quite honestly, the absolute realness and the awareness that this an actual and relatable fear had me second-guessing everything! Do I share too much? That's a question we must each ask ourselves... especially after reading this stand-out novel!!

Audrey Miller personifies today's influencer, going live several times a day, offering up way too many personally identifiable tidbits about locations, likes, favorites, and more. After her move from NY to D.C., she finds herself stalked while settling into her new apartment and job. Luckily she has her ex-boyfriend and college best friend to look out for her, though with a stalker at large, who can you really trust?

Barber sets you up for a suspenseful interaction at every turn, leaving you unsure of everyone. There were a few times I wanted to rip through the pages and tell her not to be so naive. Still, really how can you blame her - she's trying to be that independent, take no crap, carefree personality that everyone seems to love - she often forgets to let herself just be Audrey. The supporting characters got on my nerves a few times, but what's a good story without some variety? That ending, though, WOW!

I wish Audrey the best and hope she's actually learned from her struggles! I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone, especially social media influencers!

Thank you to NetGalley, the publishers at Gallery Books (A Division of Simon & Schuster), and the author Kathleen Barber for providing me with a complimentary copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.

**Also reviewed on Amazon, Apple Books, Google Play Books & Kobo. Unable to obtain links.**