Cover Image: The Lion's Den

The Lion's Den

What a strange book. I wasn't sure what to totally expect when I picked up THE LION'S DEN, but this odd amalgamation of ideas just didn't quite work for me. It had an interesting murder mystery, but the flaunting of wealth and the paper-thin characters grated at me after a while. Additionally, moving back and forth through time was often confusing and I think it would have been a bit better if it had more of a linear narrative. Set on a yacht off of the French/Italian coast, Belle agrees to spend a week with her supposed best friend Summer who lives off of her insanely rich and older boyfriend John. But the other girlfriends, and Summer's Mom, sister, and sister's friend, are all acting strange and there is definitely something mysterious going on with John's henchmen and Summer's odd actions towards her friends. The book unfortunately asks more questions than it answers, and I just can't recommend this - even for a fun, summer read.
A friend of mine was excited about this book, and I requested it on NetGalley hoping for a steamy summer read. I didn’t find the steaminess I was looking for, but it was definitely an engaging book.

I don’t watch tv in general, and I’ve never seen any of those Real Housewives shows that some other reviews have compared this book to, but I watched my share of soap operas in high school and college. This book is pretty soapy.

I need to give the author lots of credit for what she’s done here: this book is structured in just such a way as to keep the reader invested, and once I got going I found it very hard to stop reading. The dual timelines are used brilliantly: we have the current-day storyline where the girls are on their trip, with flashbacks starting in Summer and Belle’s teen years and leading right up (eventually) to the days before the trip. This was a smart way to gradually unfold the story and allow for some jaw-dropping reveals near the end. So, while it’s not the most polished, lyrical, beautiful writing I usually rave about, it’s very cleverly done. Also, I don’t think I’ve read the word ‘countenance’ this many times in a modern novel.

The story itself is a contemporary thriller all about a group of gorgeous, rather superficial women, some of whom are blatant cliched gold-diggers and most of whom have very questionable morals. Our main character, Belle, is a bit different from the rest because she likes to read and isn’t rich, sponging off a rich man, or in search of her own sugar daddy, but at the same time, she seems perfectly content for most of the book to call these women her friends. The women attend lavish parties, exclusive restaurants, clubs, and festivals while struggling to afford their designer clothes, bags, and shoes even before their luxurious trip (on a private plane, of course) to the Mediterranean, where they are to cruise for a week on a private yacht and hobnob with the super wealthy. And they understand they are to be eye candy for rich men.

Really, there’s not much I like about this premise, the money- and beauty-centric story, or these annoyingly bitchy characters, so imagine my surprise when I ended up liking The Lion’s Den. Yes, it’s annoying, but it wasn’t predictable, and the last half of the book was addicting and genuinely exciting. I even thought Belle had a lot more substance to her than expected, although in the end it all comes back around to exorbitant sums of money, womanizers, and private helicopters.

All in all, a good fun, trashy summer read. If there wasn’t a pandemic going on, this would have been a good beach read. Although, I generally like my trashy novels to have a lot more (and a lot less icky) sex. Just putting that out there.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for my free copy in exchange for an honest review, and for the fun diversion.
At first, I was not sure I liked the story of a bunch of rich people on a yacht, inviting friends to a week long birthday party.  But there was much more to the story, as the cattiness and over the top luxury turns into mayhem and danger.  Belle has been friends with Summer for a long time, when Summer invites her to join her and her fiancée aboard the Lion’s Den.  Love interests, mobsters and beautiful scenery are all part of this entertaining novel.  Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
Y'all this book was crazy. I was so frustrated at the things that these people put up with from their so called friend. This book did a great job of building suspense and then in the last 30% everything g exploded. I recommend for anyone who wants to daydream about being on a private yacht in France, with different company of course.
"The Lion's Den" by Katherine St. John has all the qualities of a quintessential beach read: exotic/lavish setting, quick action, and entertaining without having to invest too much thinking into your reading. Since vacations are pretty much cancelled right now, this book swept me away to a lavish yacht on the Mediterranean and left me dreaming of bright sunshine, azure waters, and endless champagne.

I may be in the minority, but this book was overall just ok for me. I liked it just fine, but there was nothing redeeming about any of the characters-- there was no one that I was actively rooting for in the book, including the protagonist herself.  Personally, I need that element in a book that I rate above 3 stars. The setting, the constant action, and the dual timelines were positive attributes for me, and the book read quickly overall.
What’s the last book that kept you up way past your bedtime because you just couldn’t put it down? For me it was The Lion’s Den. I read it in one day because I couldn’t put it down.

When Belle has the opportunity to go on vacation with her friend Summer - how could she turn it down? Flying in a private jet to Italy, spending a week on a yacht - sounds amazing!! But you know what they say - if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

This is a perfect summer read and I highly recommend if you want a true pageturner. Don’t read much about the plot - just jump in and go along for the ride!!

Thank you to Grand Central and Netgalley for the advance reading copies. I also bought the audiobook with a credit from Libro.fm and highly recommend the audio.
If 𝘔𝘦𝘢𝘯 𝘎𝘪𝘳𝘭𝘴 and 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘞𝘰𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘐𝘯 𝘊𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘯 𝟷𝟶 had a baby, it would be 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐨𝐧'𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐧.⁣
⁣
A week aboard a yacht in the Mediterranean with your best gals sounds like the perfect glamorous getaway...unless you're Belle. Between a gold-digging BFF, a controlling millionaire boyfriend and a supporting cast of other relatively unlikable characters things are not quite as polished as they seem on the surface. This yacht is drowning in secrets.⁣
⁣
This was a great read for a weekend of camping. Flew right through it and couldn't figure out what the heck was going on until things finally started unfolding at the end. I was thoroughly entertained.⁣
⁣
Disclaimer: Lots of language and an overly graphic sex scene⁣
I loved The Lion's Den! This was the perfect summer read for me. It had suspense, thrill, drama, and even a tad bit of romance.
The book begins with the main character, Belle, getting onto a private jet to go on an all-expenses-paid cruise in the Mediterranean. The kicker is that it's with her ex-best friend and clearly, things have not been great between the two of them lately. Belle's former BFF, Summer, has recently started dating a billionaire who is 40+ years her senior, and this trip is aboard his Yacht, The Lion's Den.
The book moved quickly and had alternating chapters between past and present, so we got an insight into Belle and Summer's former friendship and what caused it to fall apart. This had me hooked until the last page and I thought it wrapped up perfectly. The ending didn't seem rushed to me at all! Great debut from Katherine St. John, I'm looking forward to seeing what she publishes next!
This cleverly-written book is addictive and hard to put down!  A five-star highly recommended  book.
"Sure, she's out for herself, but at the end of the day, aren't we all?"

Have you ever wanted to read a suspenseful tale that reads like women's fiction (chick lit)?  If that sounds like your cup of tea, this is the book for you!

Women's fiction consists primarily of stories about women and the intricate relationships they constantly balance.  Now, add some black-hat bad guy, a class divide and a cast of characters that never seems fully trustworthy.

This is a classy novel.  There's no graphic sex or violence, it's light on cursing and full of vibrant characters.  If you're in the mood for something with a dark premise that plays out like a breezy beach read...this is it.
Belle is invited by her bff Summer on a glamorous getaway to the Mediterranean aboard her billionaire boyfriend's yacht. Their dream vacation turns into a nightmare as she and the other girls are treated like prisoners. Will Belle and her friends make it off the boat?⠀

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗟𝗶𝗼𝗻'𝘀 𝗗𝗲𝗻 is the deliciously 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵 summer read. It’s full of suspense and intrigue, romance, drama, lies and secrets, gossip, and an excessive dose of...excess! The last part of the book is where all the action is and is so entertaining and hard to put down. This book was definitely worth the hype, and is an excellent summer thriller filled with dark secrets.
⁣⁣⁣⁣⠀
• W A R N I N G S •⠀language, sex, cheating, sexual assault, talk of suicide, gaslighting, drugs⠀
⠀
Thank you NetGalley and Grand Central Pub for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.⁣
With a pandemic keeping most of us at home, why not while away a weekend with some backstabbing among the rich and famous and the wannabe rich and famous. The Lion's Den turned out to be a terrific little escape from reality for me. I kind of expected a lot of fluff but the story got suspenseful pretty quickly. And I'll just add here that there were some twists I did not see coming, which doesn't happen all that often, so it was super fun to be surprised. The book is well written, fast-paced, and perfect for a summertime binge read.
This book was so worth the hype! This was a fast paced book and I needed to know how it was going to end.

When Belle is invited on a Mediterranean yacht trip with one of her lifelong best friends Summer, she thought what could go wrong? Instead of a vacation she found herself being a prisoner of both Summer and her rich boyfriend John. This book switched between both the past and present and explores the relationship between the two friends who turned into enemies, and how they got to where they are.

I devoured this book. The rich is not always rainbows and butterflies and shows how people stop at nothing when money is involved. A few of the twists I had guessed from the beginning, but the ending was not was I expecting at all. The perfect summer read. Everyone should read this!
“A friends knife is always sharpest, but double betrayal is special torment.”⁣
⁣
The Lion’s Den is an excellent summer thriller that takes us through past and present of Belle filled with dark secrets.⁣
⁣
Belle is invited on a yacht of her best friend Summer’s new boyfriend traveling through the Mediterranean with the rest of their friends. There are many different characters but they each hold their own role in this twisty, suspenseful mystery. I was rooting for Belle the whole time.⁣
⁣
Summer seems to use Belle and put her in poor situations so I wasn’t sure why she willingly went on this trip, which wasn’t near as enjoyable as you’d think a week on a yacht would be.⁣
⁣
This was such a fun, page turner that I just wanted to see what was going to happen. I highly recommend it.⁣
Thank you @netgalley and @grandcentralpub for an ARC for my honest review.⁣
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⁣
#books #bookstagram #thriller #thelionsden ⁣
HOW IS THIS A DEBUT NOVEL?! This book has everything I love rolled into one - drama, gossip, romance, and a mystery. I couldn’t get enough of this book and devoured it. It is so so good and without a doubt one of my favorites for 2020! Bravo to Katherine St. John, I can’t wait to see what she comes out with next!
I have been all for romcoms recently, but this one was a nice change of pace. I didn’t read the synopsis of this before going in so I had no idea what to expect! ⁣
⁣
I loved the setting of this book (mainly on a yacht off the coast of France and Italy), which makes for the perfect poolside/beach read☀️. The story alternated between past and present of how all the people ended up on the yacht⁣
⁣
There were so many times when Belle, the main character, drove me insane because her actions didn’t make sense to me, of course until the end when it all came full circle⁣
⁣
Another story of rich people having entirely too much money, and not acting like functioning members of society, one of my favorite kinds of books😂 Definitely pick this one up!
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, or is it money is the root of all evil?? Either way, this book will take you on the trip of a lifetime, although it’s one I doubt I’d ever want to go on myself!
St John tells the story in threads of past and present, which all culminate into an end I didn’t see coming. The characters are varied, some were witty, intelligent, and fantastic while others I simply wanted to smack! A great read with mystery, suspense, and romance, this one was hard to put down and I didn’t want to finish.
This was a great summer read for me. This was full of love and drama. I enjoyed rooting for some of the characters and hating the others. Just what I needed to take me away from the news and drama of life.
Sometimes you just need a detox read: a quick read that's fun where you don't have to think too hard and you're throughly entertained.⁣⁣
𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘓𝘪𝘰𝘯'𝘴 𝘋𝘦𝘯 is perfect for that!⁣⁣
⁣⁣
This was a light Thriller that read like an episode of Real Housewives, but with some murdery goodness mixed in! Rich people problems in expensive  exquisite locales is a trope I'm always down for!⁣⁣
⁣⁣
In 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘓𝘪𝘰𝘯'𝘴 𝘋𝘦𝘯 you've got your classic nice girl Belle, who's trying to make it as an actress and is just barely squeaking by and then her plastic-surgery-enhanced childhood bestie Summer, who's decided to be a trophy wife and found herself a billionaire for a boyfriend. Sure this dude is hella old and caught up in some shady deals, but for Summer's birthday he's offering her friends an all expenses paid trip on his wicked nice yacht in the beautiful Mediterranean. Fancy meals, outfits, and private airfare provided!⁣⁣
Who could pass that up? ⁣⁣
I'd love a free luxury vacation... but since I can't actually go anywhere I loved reading about this one and it left me feeling pretty glad I'm stuck at home. ⁣⁣
Belle is an aspiring actress when she can get the work. Otherwise, she serves drinks working at a popular nightclub in LA. When she is offered an all-expense-paid week on a yacht in the French Riviera, she starts packing. The vacation does come with a downside. She is invited by her childhood best friend turned career opportunist, Summer. Summer has latched on to a billionaire business mogul, John, more than thirty years older.

Belle’s relationship with Summer is complicated. They were former neighbors in rural Georgia who grew up together. Renewed contact between the two has been ruined by Summer’s unreasonable demands and mooching behavior. Her boyfriend before the business mogul was Eric. Belle found herself attracted to Eric which made things awkward. Belle stayed as far away from Summer and Eric as possible because she knew Summer did not handle jealous feelings well. Staying away from them was difficult because Summer had moved into Belle’s apartment. Eventually, the relationship between Summer and Eric soured. Belle knew better than to attempt any further contact with Eric.

This book was a DELIGHT! Part ‘Mean Girls’, part ‘Real Housewives’, a boatload (see what I did there?!) of intrigue, and beautifully described setting on the French and Italian Riviera. This was the perfect escape read for a summer weekend. It was a great summer read. Fast paced with just enough twists and turns. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys an easy read from a great writer!