Cover Image: All Adults Here

All Adults Here

I am a big fan of Emma Straub but this fell a little flat for me. I feel bad but it just never sucked me in and despite starting it three different times, I ended up DNFing it. I still think it's a title we should have in store, and I'll recommend it to fans of a certain type of book, but can't say it lives up to my expectations.
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For the most part, I enjoyed the book. The characters were interesting, and well-developed. The chapters were each like separate little stories that came together to tell the whole story. There were lots of details and many of the issues being discussed were very relatable for most people.

But, at times, things did tend to drag a bit. Some of the story lines seemed over emphasized while some seemed to fall by the wayside. A few items just didn't seem to be resolved.
Quirky and thoughtful.  The first half was enjoyable but quickly became too much.  It threw out so many issues that it was too much for one book to handle gracefully.
I did not enjoy this one sadly. It did not hold my attention. I may just not have been in the right place at the time to properly read and enjoy this book.
What a fun read about revealing who you really are. After witnessing an acquaintance get hit and killed by a bus, Astrid decides it's time to reveal some secrets of her own. Her children, however, are revealing their own secrets. Fun, light, page turner about one family, all their issues, making you think maybe just maybe your family isn't the weirdest one out there.
All Adults Here by Emma Straub is a quirky novel with a meandering plot. While I enjoyed parts of it, there was simply too much angst and too many issues to make this an enjoyable book.
I really enjoyed the family relationships and late-in-life revelations. It was sometimes hard to like some of the characters, but enjoyable in the end.
All Adults here is a book that covers so many different family dynamics.  The author was very thoughtful in writing each character and relationship.  The story starts with the matriarch, Astrid Strick, witnessing a death of someone she doesn’t like but is also part of her an obsession.  From here, the rest of her family gets introduced with their own issues.  I love how Straub did such a great job capturing the sibling dynamics, the cool versus not cool aunt/uncles, and the personal dramas for everyone.  I also love the calming demeanor of Astrid's more than friend Birdie.

Cecelia is a character that really stands out.  She is very true and honest and supportive of her friend August Sullivan.  There were times I felt she was more mature that the adults of the story.  She didn’t always do the right thing, but she has the best of intentions when protecting and standing up for her friends.
I enjoyed how the book explored the family and its dynamics, and how the events that occurred pulled the family closer together.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  4 Stars

Thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Michael Joseph for a free e-copy in exchange for my honest review.
I have been eager to read All Adults Here since I heard of its release. I have not read Emma Straub’s previous work, however this title, cover and description appeared new and refreshing but at the same time gave a slightly quirky vibe.

I enjoy stories with dysfunctional characters and families. The plot began with a shocking event and how it affected the tiny community, specifically the Strick family. After multiple chapters I found myself entirely bored. I was waiting for something to happen within the story, maybe some quirky and memorable passages, or some surprising secrets ready to be revealed. Unfortunately, this book did not deliver. It could not keep my interest and in fact, it was quite irritating how the author shoved every social issue into one book so that it could read as “diverse”.

I ended up not finishing this book which is completely unusual for me. While this book was not a hit, I do think I would give this author another shot. Perhaps my expectations were too high or off track with this one. Ultimately, my biggest complaint was how boring it was.

Thank you to @Riverheadbooks and #netgalley for my advanced e-galley in exchange for an honest review.
Did not finish this book. About 30-40% through. Honestly, it was just really hard to keep up with so many different characters. It also felt like each character had too much going on.
A beautiful, winding story of the Strick family - the failures (real and imagined) of mother Astrid, her three children (Elliott, Porter and Nicky) and granddaughter Cecilia. The evolution of personal understanding reflected against a backdrop of regret for moments and memories lost. A triumphant story that reminds of that there is always time for honesty, vulnerability and true connection with our family. A bit of a slow start but stays with you long after the story ends.
Thanks NetGalley for the preview!

I found this book a little boring but also overwhelming.  I really struggled to stay focused on the characters.  I think the author really added too much in certain spots.  More is not always better!
My favorite book of Straub's so far! The characters are all flawed and funny, ranging in ages from grandparents to teenagers. I think fans of Kristan Higgins will enjoy this small-town, family tale.
Emma Straub's wry, funny look at a mother and her adult children is very readable. Readers will relate to this extended family and their various stories.
This is a family drama. The main character certainly had a skewed perception of the townspeople . Also, her immediate family members. were shockingly out of touch . They were focused on their own nuclear families but not the extended family. The relationships are meant to startle the reader.
I found this book to be very interesting at times and a little slow on a couple occasions.  It is defiantly worth the read.  It is a unique look at a family all grown up.
All Adults Here was essentially a lot of fully developed characters searching for a plot.
I read the whole thing because I wanted to like it, but it just didn't develop into anything interesting.
Like her other books, Emma Straub writes about families and multigenerational dynamics.  Her writing is smart and witty and her characers are oh so realistic.  She makes you think about your parents and how much they inflienced you..  She tackles some large and important topics : abortion, and gender identity.
the book drew me in from the beginning. Astrid was a character who you felt you wanted to be your friend,  I rooted for her every step of the way.  Even though her kids seemed like a hot mess, it all came together in the end.
Emma Straub has long been one of my favorite authors, so reading a new one from her was as enjoyable as I'd expected. Family stories are something I always gravitate toward, and I particularly loved the quirky characters in this one. It's rare you find a book told from the perspective of an older woman, and I thought it only added to the story. The way Astrid reflected on who she was as a parent and questioned whether or not she'd done it right, seems like something a lot of parents probably question at some point. If you've liked any of her previous books, or Claire Lombardo's The Most Fun We Ever Had, definitely pick this one up.