Cover Image: All Adults Here

All Adults Here

Semi-interesting book premise quickly dovetails onto drawn out, boring dialogue with totally unbelievable characters. Found it very difficult to finish.
Astrid, a long-time widow and mother of three grown children, witnesses a traffic accident that takes the life of an acquaintance whom she does not particularly like. The experience alarms her. She realizes life can change in an instant and makes the decision to share her secret love interest with her children, who are all struggling with their own issues. The family comes together to make amends for the mistakes and misunderstandings of the past and look to the future with hope.
I really enjoyed all of the characters and they felt so real to me. There was so much insight into the human experience and I loved all of the descriptions relating to motherhood.
Astrid Strick witnesses one of her neighbors get hit and killed by a bus one day which leads to her re-examining her life. She decides to come out to her family- that she has been in a relationship with a woman for years. Her children are also going through their own life altering predicaments- her daughter Porter is having a baby on her own while also still seeing her married high school sweetheart, her oldest son is debating on an important business deal that might ostracize him in the town, and her youngest son is sending his teenage daughter to live with Astrid after an event at her school. Told through the family's different points of view, All Adults Here shows a slice of life of one family.
Don't expect any fireworks in Adults. The catalyst for the whole book is in the beginning and is described like you would describe watching birds fly. I enjoyed that this was a look into what is really a normal life of a family filled with adults- adults who make mistakes with the family and others and learn from those mistakes (hopefully).
I loved this book! It took a bit to get into but once I did, I could not put it down! Highly recommend this family drama with lots of heart and humor.
The aftermath of seeing death ripples through a family, and the reader is taken on a journey following the matriarch, Astrid and how she is affected seeing someone she knew die in front of her. When Astrid decides to live her life with no secrets and no regrets, her family follows suit, for the most part at least. This is all while Astrid's granddaughter Cecilia is sent to live with her grandmother because of issues with her old school. With secrets out, and everyone living their "best lives", what could go wrong...because they are all adults after all.
Quick summer beach read. This was a well written story with interesting characters, but I was left wanting more. Some questions were not answered and I hate that. ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.
This book is a winner, winner, chicken dinner!

It's truly a gem.. or a diamond in the rough. Whichever you prefer.

This is also a Jenna Bush Book Club Pick.

This was one of the best depictions of familial dysfunction I've ever read about in a novel. It was incredibly addicting and just as hard to look away. I had a hard time forgetting these characters. They were insanely memorable. I would highly, highly recommend this book to anyone who is a lover of family drama type novels. Read it now!
Emma Straub continues to draw in readers with relatable characters. The author provides an interesting and relatable read.
This book sounded so good in the blurb but I have to admit I was disappointed.  I think part of the reason was it tried to cover too many subjects in one book.  Astrid and her granddaughter are the two main characters.  I didn't care much for either one. The dysfunctional family has a wide variety of problems that seemed to bog down the book, especially the 2nd half. It was a struggle to finish.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This book was a major family drama read. It centered around a slightly dysfunctional family - the Stick family. The three siblings are all grown and the final one is having children now. In a shakeup for all, she decided to have a baby with a sperm donor. Just when she is ready to tell her busybody mother, their mother gives them all some news. She is bisexual and is now in love with her younger female hairdresser. And she is almost 70 so why not let her just be happy. There are also issues of bullying, marriage, friendship, and infidelity. It was an odd book but I liked it ok. .
A lovely story of the Strick family exploring all aspects of sexuality and family.  Love and family is more than just the traditional family.
I enjoyed everything about this book from the characters to the plot to the author's writing style. In some ways, it reminded me of the Beartown series from Bachman, who is one of my favorite modern authors. Reading the successes and struggles of each character within the Strick family felt like watching a modern day version of the tv show "Parenthood." The way Straub writes about family dynamics is realistic and relatable. I enjoyed how she intertwined many of the main and supporting characters' lives together, revealing more information as you read.

Many other reviews felt dissatisfied about the range of social issues incorporated into this book. I would disagree. It was refreshing to see certain issues represented that are often do not receive much attention in the literary world. The manner in which these issues were presented was tasteful and added value to the writing. Straub wrote her characters in a manner that it felt they were multifaceted and not just known for one quality or experience. Yes, you may not remember every small detail about a character when there are so many. However, the qualities and experiences that mattered stuck with you as a reader.
Thank you NetGalley and publishers for an ARC. All opinions are my own.

This book is perfect for fans of Ann Patchett and Anne Tyler. This story follows a matriarch and her family. The plot is centered around an unfortunate event and follows the interworking of complicated relationships within a family. A great story if you enjoy character development, as Straub does a beautiful job crafting likeable and unlikeable traits in her characters.
This is a charming story following the Strick family. The narrative reminds the reader that no matter how old we get, there's still a patch to be carved out. Emma Straub's observations of humankind make this one of her strongest character-driven tales yet.
If any author other than Backman had written this book, the non linear progression of the plot would have confused me. What is the story really about? Is it about a bank robbery? Is it about a hostage situation? Is it about human fragility? Is it about broken relationship and mental health? This book, ultimately, is about humanity which encompasses all the facets that I just mentioned. The author, in a way that only he can, expertly guides the reader through the labyrinth of various plots and subplots of his story and as the reader reads on s/he realizes the story is truly about human race with all its beauty, compassion and complexities. The narrator/author uses his unique voice to tell us about each unique character in this book, the father/son police officers responsible for diffusing the hostage situation, the people who came to see an apartment and got entangled in a hostage situation and the bank robber who went to rob a cashless bank for a little over 6000 kronor.
I believe this book will completely infuse the readers heart with good feelings for fellow humans - a much needed emotion in present times. How I love Backman's novels!
Astrid has just seen Barbara get killed by a bus. A event which pushes Astrid to real that she is in love with Birdie and wants all her family to know. Life changing events are around every corner of this story. Astrid has three adult children , each grappling with their own life changes. Porter has decided to sperm donor her way to motherhood,while continuing an affair with her high school boyfriend. Nicky made a movie early on that has become a cult classic,but only makes him cringe. Elliot the oldest is the most conflicted having secured a property everyone has an opinion about. And Cecilia, Nick’s daughter is staying with Astrid after “the incident” at school. The family is full and loud and unpredictable but there for each other in a moments notice. We see Astrid happy at last reveling in her good fortune in Birdie. Cecilia forming a bond with a August, at Porters insistence only to find a kindred spirit and a life long friend regardless of where the road will lead. Here was a triumph of families diverse and human and fun. Happy reading
Straub has returned with an entertaining new novel about family dynamics that is perceptive and bittersweet.  When the matriarch of the family experiences a moment that underscores her own mortality, she starts to think back on the kind of mother she has been to her now adult children and how the decisions she made affected each of their lives.  Her three children are also trying to come to term with their own identities while traversing their relationships with their mother, siblings, children and spouses.  As they reveal secrets big and small and confront long-held grudges, they learn about themselves and embrace love. At its heart, this book is a reflection on facing mistakes and growing older.
For fans of domestic fiction, this book is also a good book club pick  and a great choice for a summer read.
All Adults Here by Emma Straub is a great summer read about families and their intricacies. Astrid witnesses a bus accident that has her reexamining her current life. She's the mom of three adult children, she's recently taken in her granddaughter, and she's been living a bit of a secret life. Now she's ready to tell all while also bringing her family closer together. Secrets, drama, and kinship! Read and enjoy!
My favorite Emma Straub book yet! I love the Strick family, and I love the fictional town where the story takes place. Straub delivers the story in a way that allows you a glimpse into the lives of each of the characters. Each character is dealing with their own place in life and the problems of growing up in a small town. The characters are all damaged in some way and are completely relatable. They are raw, and they are real.