Cover Image: 10 Things I Hate about Pinky

10 Things I Hate about Pinky

This was just too cute! I've been waiting for Pinky x Samir's story since I read Sweetie and fake dating is my FAVORITE trope so I was just super thrilled with this. Also, DQ is my favorite.
10 Things I Hate About You is a companion novel to There's Something About Sweetie and features two of Ashish's close friends: Pinky Kumar and Samir Jha. You don't have to read There's Something About Sweetie before picking this book up. There are quite a few romantic tropes used in the book such as hate to love and fake dating, which will delight romance readers.
   Pinky is a rebel with a cause, who is proud, unafraid to voice her opinions and makes impulsive decisions much to her mother's frustration. An incident involving a fire at her family's vacation home makes Pinky a usual suspect, but she is falsely judged. Tensions escalate between her mom and gives Pinky a new cause to fight for: proving her mom that she is capable of making the right choices. She concocts a relationship with the perfect, parent approved boyfriend. She knows the right person, but will he agree to join the scheme?
    Samir is Pinky's polar opposite. He is extremely organized, looks after and is close to his ailing mother. He is content to follow his plan on having an occupation in corporate law. When his dream summer internship falls through, Samir is left spinning until Pinky invites him to play her boyfriend for the duration of their coastal summer vacation.
  While Pinky and Samir have great chemistry and banter, they each have a lot of personal baggage that were not fleshed out and hindered their character development. Pinky has a strenuous relationship with her mother, which was only explored at a surface level. There is a pivotal moment in which we learn bits of Pinky's mom backstory that highlights how mother and daughter share more similarities than differences, which I wished was explored much more. Samir has issues of anxiety and control which were spurned on by his mother's diagnosis of cancer when Samir was very young. Mental health continues to be a taboo topic in the South Asian community and this would have been the perfect time to address it in the book, but unfortunately it is glossed over. Instead of addressing these hard issues, the book spends more time in Pinky's and Samir's activism in trying to fight and conserve a butterfly habitat. Although it was nice to see teen activists, it didn't interest me much.
  Overall I enjoyed 10 Things I Hate About Pinky, but I don't think it is the strongest book in the When Dimple met Rishi universe. The pacing felt uneven and I wanted more introspection from the characters. Readers who are looking for a breezy romance read may feel different.
This was cute. It is not my favorite of Sandhya Menon's books. The summer setting in Cape Cod and the fake dating/enemies-to-lovers tropes just didn't work as well for me as I thought it should. I liked Pinky as a character and I thought Samir had potential, but I kept expecting more from this story than I got.

[I kept expecting for it to come out that Samir hadn't told his mother where he was all summer and that was some how going to get him labeled as immature and irresponsible, but that never happened]
10 Things I Hate About Pinky is a great addition to Sandhya Menon's "Dimple" universe. Fans of the series will love getting a deeper look at Pinky and her relationship with her family and what makes her tick.
Another hit by Menon!!! She never disappoints! I think this one is sure to please fans! I like how she takes a character we have seen in the background before and really zooms in on them.
My review of the audiobook for Booklist is here: https://www.booklistonline.com/10-Things-I-Hate-about-Pinky-/pid=9739700

The review was also cross-posted to Smithsonian BookDragon: http://smithsonianapa.org/bookdragon/10-things-i-hate-about-pinky-by-sandhya-menon-in-booklist/
Pinky is a spunky and fun character to follow, and Sandhya Menon does it again, with this sweet story that shows what healthy relationships can look like, with the added bonus of a fake-dating plot line.
I have loved every one of Menon's Dimpleverse books, and this was no exception. Pinky is a larger-than-life character, but it made the book all the more fun. I definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Menon's other books (but read the others first!).
Sandhya Menon has yet to disappoint me! Since reading the first book in the Dimple-verse, I have been hooked. The best way to describe her books would be to compare them to a relaxing summer day spent sitting poolside and sipping lemonade.

The characters in this book do not disappoint, especially Pinky! While readers would already know Pinky Kumar from There's Something About Sweetie, getting to see her character more was such a treat. I love how passionate and stubborn she is! The representation that she gives to all girls who want to fight and be part of something bigger than themselves is so important. This all led to some pretty heartfelt moments, which really made the mother-daughter relationship presented in the book feel much more real. In that same vein, I am so glad that Menon was able to represent Pinky's mom the way she did. Without spoiling anything, she also felt just as real and human as Pinky.

I would highly recommend this book (and the rest in the series), especially to kick off 2021 on a much lighter note than 2020!
I adored this book. Was a perfect story to add to the series. Both characters were likable, fun and I enjoy reading about a different culture
I am so sad to report that I did not really enjoy this book.  I loved the others in the series but the drama in this one was waaaaaaaaaaay too much.  Yes I know it's YA.  Yes I know they sometimes come with lots of drama.  But this was TOO MUCH.  I thought Pinky was a brat and did not deserve Samir.  No real character growth and hard to connect with any of the characters.  The only thing that saved this from a one star is the characters we meet in Cape Cod who help Pinky with her latest project.

Disappointing end to an otherwise fun trilogy.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an advance copy.
Another hit by Sandhya Menon, 10 Things I Hate About Pinky delivers a great rivals-to-lovers, fake dating romance made all the more memorable by the family and individual healing that comes as a result of an originally deceptive scheme. Pinky Kumar and Samir Jha couldn't be any more different, which is exactly why Pinky asks him for his help in convincing her parents that they're dating in an effort to get some peace between her and her mother. Throughout the course of the book, Samir and Pinky seem to adopt some of the traits they find the most irritating about the other, as Pinky grows a little more level-headed and introspective and Samir learns that it's okay to take a risk sometimes. As they slowly peel back each other's facades and get vulnerable with each other, Pinky and Samir begin to wonder what's real and what's fake, and the resulting tension and yearning is absolutely swoonworthy. Highly recommend.
When Pinky creates an imaginary respectable boyfriend to impress her parents, she recruits Samir, whose law internship has fallen through, to be him for the summer. He needs something to do and vacationing sounds pretty good. Pinky and her mother fight constantly, and Pinky I convince her mother hates her. Samir sees things differently even while he himself doesn’t understand Pinky at all. But as Pinky and Samir spend time together, they go from fringe acquaintances to actual friends who can appreciate their differences. Could this pretend relationship become real?
This is the third book in the Dimpleverse and it lived up to the high expectations the previous two gave me. I didn’t think I’d like Pinky or Samir, but these prickly people smoothed each others rough edges and won me over.
Ahhhh what an awesome book! I'm SUCH a huge fan of the whole WDMR world, and this installment was no different.

I had wondered, of course, how Sandhya Menon was going to manage the love story between Pinky and Samir, sworn enemies, but I shouldn't have worried. It was a lovely slow-burn that just hit all the right notes.

I loved the introduction of Pinky's cousin Dolly, I thought she was an awesome character. I also loved DQ, who functioned as comedic relief and also a great characterization for Pinky.

As always with Menon's stories, the family relationships were on-point. The arcs of the characters, both personally and in relation to each other, can't be beat.

And the setting of this one was super cool! Summer on the Cape, what's not to love?
I'll promote this book for sure in any classroom & for book clubs. I wouldn't adapt it for a whole class novel, but all of Menon's work needs to be in classrooms and promoted!
I have been loving this series, and this one was no exception, it was SO cute! I loved reading about Pinky and Samir and how they began their ruse of fake dating. The characters in the story are so great and lovable. There is such a diverse group of characters, and they will steal your heart. This was the perfect YA story. I would highly recommend it!
I reviewed this title on my blog and on GoodReads and will provide the details directly to the publisher during the next stage of this review process.
A cute enemies-to-lovers YA contemporary with tons of re-read potential! Sandhya Menon outdoes herself again with 10 Things I Hate About Pinky, starring the passionate, fierce Pinky and the more self-controlled Samir. This book cameos from some of our favorite characters from the author's other books, as well as delightfully witty banter that has us rooting for the characters from page one!
I love that there are more and more books that are told from an Indian American perspective.  Pinky reminds me of so many young Indian girls I know who love to rebel a little bit against their parent's conservative wishes, but also want to please their parents at the same time.  The romance between Samir and Pinky was sweet and developed over time.  I was cheering for them all along the way.

I am definitely recommending this one to kids in my class.
This is a bit hard to write, because I *love* Sandhya Menon, but this one lost me...it really should only be 3.5 stars. I enjoyed getting to see more of Pinky and Samir's characters, but around page 300 or so there was no more growth and the metaphors started to choke out the storyline. So...many...metaphors! I get that this is a romance novel, but this is what happens when authors are let loose in the metaphor store. Every emotion and action had to be triple described and everything became super cheesy. The characters were static for the majority of the novel and then BAM! Personal growth! The plot was resolved in a nice neat little package, which would NEVER happen so quickly IRL, but I guess the positive take-away is that Ms. Menon clearly knows her audience are teenagers. However, there could have been more development and better pacing in the storyline leading up to the same ending .This book was cute and fun, but ultimately a little too cheesy for me.