America's Flag Story

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Mar 2020

A really great overview of how our flag came to be and what it stands for. The poetic/rhyming nature of this book makes it great for even the youngest of children.
"America's Flag Story" is a short rhyming book about American flag. Illustrations are lovely and young children can practice their rhyming skills throughout.
The illustrations in this story are absolutely stunning. I adored just flipping through the pages and watching the story unfold through the pictures.

As an elementary teacher, this is a picture book that I would absolutely utilize in my history curriculum. We study a government unit, and it will be a fantastic mentor text for that unit.
ARC Copy...very likely this picture will find a home in schools in the US and decent bouncy verse too. Although an worded explanation on the historical context of the events depicted would be nice however illustrations are beautiful!
This book is an amazing book about our US Flag. While it provides basic information for young readers, it also includes many facts that some students may not know, including how to fold the flag. This is a perfect addition for any elementary school library and can especially be used to support Social Studies curriculum standards. The illustrations that accompany the text are beautiful and help promote a sense of patriotism of their own.
Beautiful illustrations.  I liked the timeline and the detail of how to fold the flag.  Not exactly the story of the flag as the title indicates but a good way to introduce our flag to a young learner.
This is a very short and simple book relaying the history of the American flag. I was not overly impressed, but it is a good introduction to the history of our nation's most recognizable symbol. It is definitely aimed at younger elementary/preschool-aged children and I think this would be great in board book format.
Beautifully illustrated book. This is a basic informative book about the flag. Clear and concise and easy to understand.

I was provided a complimentary copy. The thoughts and opinions are my own!
This is such a great little book for children to learn about the history of our flag and some flag etiquette! Easy to read, understand and paired with wonderful illustrations!
Children’s book about the American flag. Love the story and the images. I especially love how it includes pictures showing the previous iterations of the flag, how to fold the flag, and how to cut a star out.
What I Loved:  The illustrations in this book were really great.  They will give young readers excellent visuals.  The back of the book has an image of the different variations of the flag at different points in time.

How I Felt:  I felt like this story was a bit confusing for a child.  It seemed to jump around in history a lot, creating a bit of confusion about what we were learning.  It's not a story about how the flag was made, or when, it's just kind of about the flag in places in time.

To Read or Not To Read:  There were some good aspects of this book such as the flag timeline in the back as well as a guide to folding our flag.  If you come across this book, it's worth reading to a child.

What's This Book About Anyway?
The flag represents our country and this book speaks to what the colors mean.  It then discusses different places the flag has been hung.  There's a little story about boys saving their pennies to get the flag hung in their school as well.  Overall, this book gives little pieces of information about our flag and the history of it.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.