Cover Image: Cross Her Heart

Cross Her Heart

As always, Leigh has created a tense thriller with just the right mix of mystery and actual character developing plot. I will definitely be following this series!!
A new series that kicks off with homicide detective Bree Taggert's world being turned upside down another violent death of a family member similar to the one that shattered her world as a child.

Three children were left orphaned when their father murdered their mother in front of them and then killed himself after. The oldest left the small town of Grey's Hollow and became a homicide detective in Philadelphia. The younger sister and brother were raised Greys Hollow and never left. When Bree gets a frantic call from her sister in fear for her life she drops everything and races back to the town with horrible memories only to be to late when it turns out her sister was murdered leaving her own two children without a mother.

As this is the first book of a new series somethings are on a fast track – the murder and investigation – and some on a slow track – the romance between Bree and former K9 investigator Matt Flynn (who happens to be the best friend of Bree's sister husband who is missing and suspected as her killer).

I enjoyed all the characters/family we were introduced to over the course of the book and think the author has another winner on her hands with his series. Looking forward to the next in the series.
REVIEW PROVIDED BY: Kelly
NUMBER OF HEARTS: 5
Bree Taggert has to return to her hometown to once again face a violent death in her family.  Once Bree returns to town she finds that she can’t just sit back and let the local police handle the investigation. Bree will team up with Matt Flynn (who just happens to be the prime suspects best friend).

But will Bree be ready for all the secrets and lies she is about to uncover?

Another great story by Melinda Leigh!  Cross Her Heart is the first book in her new Bree Taggert Series. I am very excited to see where this series goes. It was fun to see a few familiar names from past series also. I am already looking forward to book two See Her Die (September 1, 2020).
If you are looking for a good suspense read I would highly suggest that you pick up a copy of Cross Her Heart.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Netgalley & Montlake Romance in exchange for an honest review. This review is my own opinion and not a paid review.
I really enjoyed this book. This author has written many books and I have really liked all of them. This book had a lot of family drama due to the early death of a character.  Ending was not what I was expecting, I liked being surprised.
Cross Her Heart by Melinda Leigh

This is the first book in a new series by Melinda Leigh, where it follows Detective Bree Taggert. She lives and works in Philadelphia but comes from a town called Greys Hollow where she has a brother and sister.

The book opens with a scene from their childhood in which Bree is calling the people because her parents are in the middle of a domestic violence dispute and by the end of it her father has shot her mother and then turned the gun on himself.

Bree now no longer wants to return to her home town but she receives a voicemail from her sister asking for help since she is in trouble .

Bree returns home to find her sister murdered and her brother in law missing. She now finds herself looking after her niece and nephew whilst trying to also find the killer. She teams up with her brother-in-law’s best friend who is a retired deputy.

Once again Melinda Leigh has churned out another good book. Characters are believable and the story flows to a good conclusion. You know what you are going to get when you pick up one of her books, nothing too stretching or complex but an enjoyable read.
A good suspense is always one of my favorite genres. I didn’t read any novels before from this author, but I heard about her. And I’m very glad that I got the arc from netgalley, I really liked the story. Bree Taggert is the heroine that I want to read in suspense novels. She’s smart, strong and good in her job. Her childhood was hard, and now she is in that town again. Her sister Erin is dead and she will do anything to find her killer and be with her children.

I liked the writing. I liked both hero and heroine, they are really a good match. I will wait for the next book. This could be the one of my favorite romantic suspense series.
OMG How could you not love anyone of Melinda's books. I impatiently await for every single release and this one right here does not disappoint..  Can't put it down.  Well done yet again Melinda.  Can't wait for this new series.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Montlake Publishing for the ARC. I am voluntarily reviewing this book. I found this to be more a suspense/murder mystery then a romance.  This is Bree's  story of how she ends up back in her hometown.   Nice plot, I was surprised by the killer.  But I read it for fun not to figure it out.   I enjoyed the book.  4 stars   I will continue with this series.
Yep ... Melinda Leigh did it again! Another great start to a new series. Can't wait to read the next in the Bree Taggert series (it's already on my kindle wish list)!!

Thank you #netgalley and #montlakeromance for the eARC.
Melinda Leigh’s an old hand at this by now…writing taut and tight thrillers, I mean. With cleverly plotted, smartly-paced narratives that scarcely let you blink, the new Bree Taggert series—following the Morgan Dane one which I loved—is promising to be a good one, particularly if you’re more into the suspense than the romance.

Bree Taggert’s never really far from her violent past, but history seems to repeat itself in her sister’s murder, bringing her back to a place where she finds herself saddled with new responsibilities while dealing with fresh grief. Former investigator Matt Flynn helps her to unravel what happened that night, though it’s not one that’s easily undertaken both for Bree and the reader. Carnage, gore, complex characters, shady motivations and convincing legalese do make ‘Cross Her Heart’ an intriguing read from the start and it’s one that’s solid. Heavy topics are par for the course—death, guilt, murder—and Leigh covers this well and with sensitivity.

There are tangents and off-shoots as Leigh pulls secondary characters under the microscope and hints that anyone might be a suspect as we’re taken on a winding journey of unravelling what seems like a domestic dispute case of a spouse killing his wife. But the overall murder plot is a little bizarre when all’s revealed, admittedly, as though it’s something that you merely give a side-eye to when you’re finally introduced to a pivotal turn of events, then are left incredulous when it finally untangles in front of your eyes.

There’s strong friendship here, mature protagonists and barely a hint of romance, but if I know Leigh’s writing style, this is merely a slow burn, with a deliberate (and understandably, appropriate) build that will continue over the rest of the series. It’s a solid introduction however, to a couple that will just grow stronger over the next few books and I for one, can’t wait.
Phew...I’m exhausted after reading this book, such an emotional rollercoaster of a story. Tragedy strikes again for Bree, who after losing her mother and father in such a violent way, she has lost her sister too. Bree was a very interesting character, strong, determined but still carries the scars of her past.  Joining forces with ex deputy Matt, they work together to try and catch the killer...but with so many suspects, you are on the edge of your seat trying to solve the case. Such a well written story...will definitely read more from this author
Between the pacing, the circuitous details of the investigation, the story arcs left hanging, and the wrap-up, this story felt like it was phoned in. In creating a ménage à trois of diversions between the motives of Trey, Justin, and Craig, the truth of Erin's murder seemed like it was pulled out of thin air, especially when considering Erin's unrelated difficulties with all of the aforementioned men. I did not finish the last couple of chapters but it also looked like Bree was going to leave poor Matt high n' dry on the romantic front. This book was well-written but it was a definite miss for me.

Thank you to NetGalley, Montlake Romance, and Melinda Leigh for an ARC of 'Cross Her Heart' in exchange for an honest and voluntary review.