Cover Image: Little Secrets

Little Secrets

Terrific!  Thanks Net Galley and MacMillan for making this book available to me prior to publication.  I am a big fan of the psychological thriller but have not read anything by this author, which I will now remedy.  This book had me from the first few pages.  I could actually feel how harried the mother was shopping with a toddler in a busy market, not having enough hands.  My stomach dropped when the mother could no longer feel her child, see her child because the author’s skill with the written word put me in her shoes and I felt her terror.  Throughout this whole book, which I read  in two days by the way, my emotions were on a roller coaster—anger, fright, disbelief.  From a perfect life to overwhelming tragedy, a couple struggles to put their life back together on the quicksand of secrets.
I had a love and hate relationship with the book simply because I disliked all of the characters and yes, that includes Marin, the grieving mother. Anyone who wants to off her cheating husband's lover by hiring a hitman is simply wicked to me. I cringed so many times through this book. What a bunch of awful people. Yet, I kept reading completely glued to my kindle. I finished it in one day. The story is addictive, I wanted to desperately find out what happens at the end, so I kept going. The ending was pretty good and there were many twists and turns getting there. Mystery/thriller lovers won't be disappointed in this book. I think it will be hugely popular when it comes out.
Excellent book!  I had just finished a book that I truly struggled to get through, so I was a little exhausted with reading when I picked this one up but I was hooked from the first page on!  What starts off with an absolutely emotionally terrifying child abduction turns into such a unique, deeper, multi faceted, edge of your seat novel.  It is packed with great characters, deep emotions, and fantastic writing.   Even the few times I wondered why a character was doing something or acting a certain way, the author draws out the emotion of the situation perfectly to where it doesn't seem far fetched.  It was a book I could not put down and eagerly awaited the time I could pick it back up to finish.  Highly recommend and possibly my favorite read of the whole year!
Any story of a missing child is heartbreaking and when Hillier is writing so well,  it’s acute and lasting.  A novel of loss and a fascinating character study of a married couple who fall apart after the kidnapping of their son, Sebastian.  Part mystery, part psychological thriller, part women’s fiction,  doesn’t matter, it’s an excellent, excellent read and highly recommended for its complex and beautifully written story.
“Little Secrets” by Jennifer Hillier

Marin Machado has it all; a doting husband, a career she loves, and a son who is her entire world. However, everything good in her life comes to a screeching halt in the four seconds it takes for her to turn away from her four-year-old son, Sebastian, in a busy shopping center just a few days before Christmas, only to find him no longer there when she turns back.
Fast forward sixteen months later and Sebastian is still missing. Marin and Derek couldn’t be further from the couple that they once were, and Marin battles suicidal thoughts on a daily basis. Sometimes the only thing keeping her from committing the act is the daily, “you alive?” text from her best friend, and former boyfriend, Sal.
The investigation into her son’s disappearance is basically non-existent at this point, and the only thing keeping Marin’s head above water is the reminder that the private investigator she hired, Vanessa Castro, is still looking for him. Marin has made Vanessa promise to share everything she finds, no matter how insignificant to her son’s case. But when what she uncovers is Derek’s relationship with a younger woman, Mackenzie Li, Marin channels all of the sadness and grief she’s been feeling into something much more dangerous…rage.
After getting drunk and agreeing to meet Julian, a man her ex-con best friend Sal calls “a fixer,” Marin finds herself wiring two-hundred and fifty-thousand dollars into a charity account to have her problem, Mackenzie, “taken care of”.
“Little Secrets” is the first book by Jennifer Hillier that I’ve read, and I can honestly say that it won’t be the last. She managed to weave together one of the most twisted, in a good way, and intricate story lines I’ve read in a long time. She also deals with tough subjects in a way that make you truly feel things for the characters, as if you’re going through their struggles right along with them. This book belongs at the top of your must-read list.

Reviewed by Abbey Peralta for Suspense Magazine
Great twisted story... Never saw that happening. Was a world wind. Love this author and was just another fantastic cant wait to see what happens read.

Thanks to the publisher and net galley for an early release if this book.
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and the characters were just great.  A missing child, secrets, affairs and even more secrets... all the elements of a great book. It moved at a swift pace and had a good amount of suspense. The only reason i gave this 4 stars instead of 5 is that i found the missing child story ( which i was most interested in) got a little over shadowed by the affair story line and also i found it fairly easy to spot the "whodunnit". That didnt really take away from the book though and over all it was an excellent read that i would highly recommend.
Well paced and kept me guessing, Little Secrets will keep you turning the pages until the very (shocking) end.
What a totally twisted story...full of unexpected suspense and surprises.  There were a few things that happened that I didn’t quite understand and made no sense to me.  Definitely would be a great book for a book club discussion!
Overall, I enjoyed this domestic mystery thriller and highly recommend you read it.
Thank you to NetGallery, St. Martins Press and author, Jennifer Hillier, for the opportunity to read and give my honest review about this book.
Little Secrets is definitely a heart pounding thriller! From the first page to the last, the reader will be transported into a world of fast moving intrigue and suspense.  Forget about trying to guess how the book ends-the brilliant writing of the author will keep you in breathless anticipation for the next page.  The book is full of surprises and you will not be disappointed with Little Secrets. Highly recommended. Thank you to NetGalley.
A FANTASTIC story that will have you Praying, Crying, Fearful And Shocked as you travel with Marin Machado through some of the worst moments of her life,only to have more added to her misery as she attempts to recover! Be ready when opening this story, for the losses will grab you and drag you in to a swirling cyclone of Life, the Good and the Very bad!
    Marin seems to have a perfect life, married to her college love, owning high-scale hair salons, and has a perfect four year old son, Sebastian. Life is amazing..Until shopping a day near Christmas,Sebastian slips his hand from her's, and when she looks up..He Is Gone...
     Marin feels it is Her fault,and though the Police,FBI and everyone in the town searches, the young Boy has disappeared...Life is unmanageable for Marin and husband Derek,but Marin plunges into deep depression,even attempting to take her own life as time passes with no little boy by her side. As she finally tries to return to the living, the PI she hired to find her son comes to her with something else..Something that, although nothing in her life has been normal, shocks her, bringing her back to the doors of Hell!
   This is a story that will hold you tightly as you quickly read, wanting to know just What happened now! My first by this author, but Definitely NOT my last!! I thank the author and Netgalley for the chance to read this amazing story, and I give You my honest thoughts and feelings in this review. When this book is published in April 2020, GRAB IT, you will thank me after you read it!
This novel hit close to home and I want to share why. It concerns the breakdown of a family when a young child is abducted in the crowded Pike Place Market in Seattle. The parents keep lots of secrets from each other, which the end works to both their detriment. Why close to home? My first marriage ended in divorce, largely through secrets my ex-wife kept about an affair. Our daughter was never abducted, but I did lose track of her once at a sports stadium for about a minute, and it was very terrifying. The emotional rawness of the couple's marriage is exposed quite accurately and examined carefully, and the various plot points (I don't want to give any spoilers) are carefully constructed and written about in excellent detail. This book isn't for everyone, but I have to say it made me think about my own life choices and secrets that I have kept along the way. I highly recommend it.
Thank you NetGallery and the publisher for this arc.
I knew I was going to love this book the minute I saw who the author was. Within 3 pages the author made me feel every emotion that a mother would if her child was missing. Horror, anxiety, guilt and gut wrenching terror.
The twist towards the end surprised me but I don’t want to give any clues or spoilers.
Read this you will not be disappointed.
I definitely will be watching for another book by this author.
I liked this but I thought the ending was weird and also was very annoyed with the whole “we are rich!!” Like there was so much name dropping from brands and it was overkill on how much money the main character had. Not a bad read but not my favorite from this author.
Little Secrets is one of the best psychological suspense books I have ever read!
I could not put the book down from the first page I read.
Marin and Derek are a “ golden couple”.
They have an incredible life. They both have very successful careers. The best part of their life is their 4 year old son.  And that’s when the story begins.  Do not miss this book! I’m going to check out the authors previous novels.
Review Copy

Secrets always reveal themselves in the end.

I did something I rarely do with a novel. I read LITTLE SECRETS by Jennifer Hillier cover to cover in one day.

What parent can't relate to having their child stolen from them? What horrors must the parents go through? How do they cope? But this isn't a tale just about that. This goes much deeper and becomes much more horrific about people and the secrets they keep.

There are no little secrets. And secrets always reveal themselves in the end.

Highly recommended reading and possibly the best novel of 2020. This will be published by  St. Martins Press in April of 2020.  Don't miss it.
This novel won’t be released until spring, which is a good thing, because this is decidedly NOT a holiday read, even though Marin’s four-year-old son is kidnapped by someone in a Santa suit three days before Christmas.

Marin has become a successful businesswoman married to a successful businessman. After four attempts with IVF, she had Sebastian—she now, officially, had it all. Until, for just a few seconds, she stopped holding her son’s hand on a busy day of Christmas shopping at the mall so she could answer a text. In those few seconds, he wandered away. Security cameras show that he left with someone in a Santa outfit.

For the first portion of the book, I didn’t know if I’d be able to finish it because it was just Marin beating herself up more than a year after his disappearance. Then, things take a very different turn, followed by other decidedly unexpected twists.

This is well-written and a good choice if you’re in the mood for something dark. No villain or victim is all villain or all victim, which makes it interesting.

Thanks so much to NetGalley for the opportunity to preview this book, which RELEASES APRIL 21, 2020.
This was a great book by an author that I’ve read previously that never fails to make me happy. An amazing quick easy read loved the characters and love the storyline and definitely loved the twist, this is an A+ book I give five stars to and I highly recommend it to everybody
Little Secrets is the second book I’ve read by Jennifer Hillier. I enjoyed Jar of Hearts last year, and I had high hopes for Little Secrets. Hillier has a way of writing that pulls you in from the beginning, and keeps your interest till the very end. This book has some great twists that I didn’t see coming, and it wasn’t predictable. I would recommend Little Secrets to anyone who loves a great thriller that you want to compulsively read.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Loved, loved, loved!  Unputdownable!  Once again, Hillier writes a book that absolutely knocks the wind out of you, while also making your brain explode a bit!  If you love those thrillers with disturbing themes, which are hard to put down and hard to figure out until the author wants you to, this is your book!  Grab your copy today!  A must read!
Will make sure I buzz it up!