Cover Image: Something She's Not Telling Us

Something She's Not Telling Us

This was a page-turner with lots of suspense and lots of surprises. I could see this being made into a movie as her first book was.
2 stars. Y'all this was not it. I think this is a thriller writer that I'm going to break up with. Review to come.

Due to being a high school teacher, I have been falling behind on reviews. Here are my initial thoughts.
DNF. Thank you NetGalley and Publisher for this early copy! I decided to not keep reading this one, it was not for me. Thanks!
“Is anyone ever really who they say they are…?”

The cover of this book is what drew me to it, at first glance. I loved how the pink sunglasses catch your attention, and makes you wonder which character the person is supposed to be in the book.

“Something She’s Not Telling Us" is a psychological thriller with two very unreliable narrators that makes you wonder which of them is the worst one.

Charlotte has everything in life that she ever could have hoped for: a doting, artistic husband, a small-but-thriving flower shop, and her sweet, smart five-year-old daughter, Daisy. Her relationship with her mother might be strained, but the distance between them helps. And her younger brother Rocco may have horrible taste in women, but when he introduces his new girlfriend to Charlotte and her family, they are cautiously optimistic that she could be The One. Daisy seems to love Ruth, and she can’t be any worse than the klepto Rocco brought home the last time. At least, that’s what Charlotte keeps telling herself. But as Rocco and Ruth’s relationship becomes more serious, Ruth’s apparent obsession with Daisy grows more obvious. Then Daisy is kidnapped, and Charlotte is convinced there’s only one person who could have taken her.

Ruth has never had much, but now she’s finally on the verge of having everything she’s ever dreamed of. A stable job at a start-up company, a rakish, handsome boyfriend with whom she falls more in love with every day—and a chance at the happy family she’s always wanted, adorable niece included. The only obstacle standing in her way is her boyfriend’s sister Charlotte, whose attitude swerves between politely cold and outright hostile. Rebuffing Ruth’s every attempt to build a friendship with her and Daisy, Charlotte watches over her daughter with a desperate protectiveness that sends chills down Ruth’s spine. Ruth knows that Charlotte has a deeply-buried secret, the only question is: what? A surprise outing with Daisy could be the key to finding out, and Ruth knows she must take the chance while she has it—for everyone’s sake.

As the two women follow each other down a chilling rabbit hole, unearthing winding paths of deceit, lies, and trauma, a family and a future will be completely—and irrevocably—shattered.
I really struggled to get through this book. At the beginning, it felt fast-paced and intriguing to me, but as the story drew on, I became to like the story less and less.

The story is told in shifting, disorienting tenses and points of view between the two main characters, Charlotte and Ruth, and a few times from Charlotte’s brother, Rocco. It took some time getting used to, but in the end, still turned me off from this book.

As for the characters, I never felt a connection and never became invested in any of them. Which caused a domino effect since it meant I didn’t really care what happened to any of them nor did I want to see their story to the end.

I really wish I could say I liked this book a little,
but it just wasn’t my cup of tea. Even though I didn’t like the book, that doesn’t mean that someone else wouldn’t like it. I will say that I love seeing Darcey Bell’s novels more as movies than I do reading them, and would recommend this book to someone that loved her debut novel , “A Simple Favor”.

(I received this book free from the publisher via Netgalley, in exchange for a fair and honest review.)
Due to illness review will be short. In a nutshell this book is worth reading. Reminds me of a soap opera, take that as you will or you can always form you're own opinion by reading it anyway!
I don’t know what I expected from this book, but it surpassed my expectations and was a super fun read! It was one of those great titles where you feel like you’re going down into the abyss with the characters as they spiral. Fun and soapy but well-written with great character development!
The cover of SOMETHING SHE'S NOT TELLING US grabbed me from the start, and, thankfully, the content was equally as gripping.
I loved A Simple Favor so much that when I saw this book I was so excited. Unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations. I did not care for the characters at all. I know they were supposed to be unlikeable, but man did I hate them all. The storyline was fast paced and I read through quickly, but I feel there was a lot of detail throughout the book for a rough abrupt ending. I don't feel like it was a good ending to the story, but there also wasn't a lot going on to warrant a great ending. I'm going to hope this was the curse of the second book and that her next one is a lot better!
"Something She's Not Telling Us' is Darcey Bell's second novel.  Coming off the heels of "A Simple Favor", this novel definitely lacks the intrigue of her debut novel.  However, I found it oddly enjoyable.  This book is best read by a pool or a beach, maybe a plane, with a cocktail in hand.  It's not an overly difficult read, so if you don't have high expectations, you might just be pleasantly surprised.

Charlotte is as Type-A as they come.  Balancing her marriage, motherhood, and a thriving career as a florist owner keeps her busy, as does poking her nose into her brother Rocco's love life.  When Rocco begins dating Ruth, Charlotte is initially happy for him.  Ruth seems nice enough, and she shows a great interest in Charlotte's five-year old daughter, Daisy.  However, Ruth's interest in Daisy soon becomes more concerning.  After a family trip to Mexico to visit Charlotte and Rocco's mom, Charlotte becomes more concerned with Ruth's actions.  It is only after they return to the States and Daisy vanishes, that Charlotte begins to think that Ruth might not just be odd, but rather, dangerous.

As Charlotte and her husband desperately search for Daisy, a secret from Charlotte's past rises up from the ashes and threatens to destroy her perfect life.  Could Ruth possibly have found out what this secret is, and will she ultimately use it to destroy everything that Charlotte has worked so hard to build?
This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
I absolutely adored A Simple Favor. It was completely nutso, unbelievable and ridiculous. And I loved every bit of it. Unfortunately, I don't think Darcey Bell's follow-up Something She's Not Telling Us reached such stellar heights. This book alternates perspectives between Charlotte and Ruth, both of whom are unreliable almost throughout. I wasn't sure who to believe, even up until the last few pages. That's a plus, in my book. But, I think there just wasn't enough. I kept waiting for more action, for a crazy plot twist to happen, but I feel as if it just fell sort of flat. I didn't hate this book by any means, but it was not one of my favorites of the year. Perhaps I had too high of expectations going into this one after reading ASF. Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of this title!
I wasn't. huge fan of this read. Very predictable without the twists and turns you hope to see when something starts off with little to no pizzaz.
This one fell kind of flat for me.  The story sounded like others I've already read.  Charlotte has everything, and her loser brother has nothing but a string of bad girlfriends.  Suddenly Charlotte's daughter is kidnapped by one of the girlfriends...it's a tale as old as time.  Ruth was truly delusional, but it was almost too delusional.  It felt forced.  The ending was okay, but my mind wandered so much during this book.  I kept thinking of everything else I could have been reading.  This one will be pretty forgettable for me.  It's just not unique enough against all of the thrillers saturating the market.
This book had great potential but everything was so predictable and the ending was very disappointing.
I really enjoyed this drama. Kept me guessing right up to the very end!  Recommend for readers of the genre,.
I really loved A Simple Favour which is why I requested this book. I was hooked at the very beginning but slowly started to disconnect from the story and the characters. I think this one had potential and just didn't live up to it, unfortunately.
Thank you NetGalley and HarperCollins for a galley of this book in exchange for my honest review. This is my first book by Darcey Bell and I requested it after enjoying the movie based on her book, A Simple Favor.  Unfortunately, this book did nothing for me.  I found the characters to be annoyingly neurotic, the plot was painfully boring, and I kept waiting for an out of this world twist that never came.  I honestly don't even understand or know if there was a point to this story.  Simply put, it was underwhelming.
As much as I wanted to like this book, I thought that the lead up to the big reveal took a lot longer than was needed, and at a certain point it got predictable. The wild turns in the plot (i.e. a therapist throwing away his medical vows to sleep with Ruth and break patient/doctor confidentiality) also felt out of place. The ending was so rushed and felt unfinished. Unfortunately, not my cup of tea, but I can see why other readers who enjoy thrillers would like this book.
Charlotte’s daughter Daisy is kidnapped by her brother’s girlfriend Ruth.

This is a super easy read which goes back and forth between past and present with Charlotte  and Ruth until you don’t know which one of them you can trust.

It is a fast paced thriller, a bit over the top with unlikeable characters except for Daisy that made it that more interesting.There’s so much that happens that it will keep you turning them pages.
Something She’s Not Telling Us is the perfect title for Darcy Bell’s new suspense novel because there is definitely something off about Ruth, Charlotte’s brother Rocco’s new girlfriend.  Charlotte, a successful NYC florist, is used to Rocco bringing home ladies who are off-kilter, and although Ruth seems more normal than some of the others, Charlotte thinks she sees something sinister lurking under her perky, perfect façade.  Charlotte’s worst suspicions are confirmed when she goes to pick up her daughter Daisy from daycare one afternoon and learns that Daisy has already been taken without permission … by Ruth.  Where is Charlotte’s daughter, and who exactly is the woman who has kidnapped her?

Something She’s Not Telling Us is a multi-perspective novel that starts with Daisy’s kidnapping and then travels back in time to the day that Rocco brought Ruth home to meet Charlotte’s family.  From there, readers are slowly introduced to Ruth throughout this deceptive, yet delicious, story.  Who is the real perpetrator here?  Who is the one telling the lies?  Is Ruth really a bad person, or does Charlotte just not like anyone that Rocco dates?  Who can be trusted?

Something She’s Not Telling Us is a solid entry in the women’s suspense genre and is entertaining throughout.  With intriguing, yet unlikeable characters, and an uncomplicated plot, reading this book is a breeze.  However, the ending of this thriller leaves something to be desired, which I find to often be the case in books that try to be too over-the-top.  Nonetheless, this novel is fun and compelling; just don’t expect to be blown away by how everything wraps up in the end.