Cover Image: The Body in the Snow

The Body in the Snow

A SPICED UP INVESTIGATION

This is the fourth book in the DCI Craig Gillard series and just like its predecessors is a thoroughly well told procedural crime story with numerous twists and turns.

This time he is investigating the murder of the matriarch of an Indian food company where all the family and close associates eventually become suspects which have to be eliminated. The job is not helped by the various family rivalries and self interests.

Whilst the book is an excellent gripping and entertaining read on its own, I would encourage readers to read all the books in this series as the standard is equally good throughout.

I read the book pre-publication at the request of the publishers, but have provided an honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

This is my first read by this author.  It is part of a series and be read on it’s own.  I really enjoyed this book, it started off well with a murder taking place and DCI Gillard and his team investigating this.  I really liked the DCI as a character, you get little glimpses of his personal and home life and how committed he is to his job.  I hadn’t a clue who the murderer was, there were so many potential suspects who all had their own secrets.  The book was a fab read, it had many plot twists and surprises which I liked and it kept my attention all the way through.     I will definitely read the next book and previous books featuring DCI Gillard.  I would recommend this book to those who like police procedurals, crime books.  4 stars
The day before Kirsti is about to start work as a CSI she comes across a frenzied dog & the battered body of a woman. A hooded cyclist is seen peddling away. She valiantly tries to preserve evidence in the rapidly disappearing snow & is rescued by DCI Gillard. The victim is  Tanvi Roy. She runs the very successful company Empire of Spice- a company her family has built up almost from nothing.

It soon becomes apparent that there are many things going on in this very male dominated Hindu family. There is a lot going on in the business & within the family. An early breakthrough with DNA leads to an arrest, but Gallard is not happy that they have the right person. Each day seems to bring up more questions than answers.

This was a great police procedural. Although this is number 4 in the series & I hadn't read any of the others, it worked perfectly well as a standalone. The core characters were engaging & the Roy family were a really interesting bunch. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
A woman is murdered, battered to death while walking her dog on the common. Newly qualified CSI Kirsty Mockett happens to be jogging nearby and is first on the scene. Soon DCI Craig Gillard is on the case, but with all the secrets and lies, can he get to the truth?

Having read other Nick Louth books, I was really looking forward to reading Body in the Snow, but somehow it failed t9 deliver. I found some of the characters fairly unbelievable - especially the mother trying to turn her daughter into a boy so he could inherit the estate - and struggled to maintain any interest in finishing the story.

Sadly, an at times over complicated, far fetched story that failed to live up to Nick’s other books.
This is such a cracking good series. A further instalment in the DCI Craig Gillard Crime Thrillers series and Craig & Sam are in a good place, albeit for the neighbour from hell across the road. In the main plot Craig is called to the discovery by a trainee CSI of a body in the snow and so begins to unravel an excellent story. The plot twists and turns, with lots of cultural intrigue to deliver an unexpected villain. As this happens Craig’s personal life goes from fabulous to tragic in the blink of an eye - excellent stuff
The Body in the Snow is the 4th book in the DCI Craig Gillard Series ,I have read the other books in the series and have come to know Gillard quite well and this book is the best so far in my opinion .A body is found in the snow and discovered by a young detective .The victim is Tanvi Roy one of the UK'S richest women ..Gillard and his team are called in to investigate and as he digs deeper into the Roy Family he finds all is not as it seems .This is a brilliant story full of twists and turns with the odd red herring thrown in !This is one of those books it is hard to put down I can't wait to read the next book in the series .Many thanks to the Publisher the Author and NetGalley for my review copy in return for an honest review .
What a really good story!  Nick Lough has surpassed himself with this excellent mystery - I just wanted to keep on reading until the very end.  The plot is gripping and the characters are extremely well written.  thoroughly enjoyable and can't wait for the next DCI Gillard.
The Body in the Snow is the fourth instalment in the DCI Craig Gillard Crime Thrillers series of which all of the books can be read as standalones without any issues whatsoever. Louth manages to strike an often difficult to achieve balance between an exciting and intriguing plot and showing the tedium of police work. When prominent local businesswoman Tanvi Roy, who had been out walking her dog, is found slaughtered by trainee CSI Kirsty Mockett, DCI Gillard is sent to begin an investigation. There is little forensic evidence to be found at the scene and Craig and his team are struggling to find a motivation for the cold-blooded murder. They soon establish, to their horror, that there is much more likelihood of the crime having been committed by either one of Roy’s business contacts or her family and begin a deep dive into all her associates.

I very much enjoyed the fact that there were plenty of suspects once the police determined the direction to go in and the investigation team as a whole were proficient and worked exceptionally well together. From the opening pages, you are hypnotised by Louth’s writing making it almost impossible to put down, and I raced through it in one sitting. It’s an easy, entertaining read and one that can be enjoyed by every type of crime reader as it has so much to offer in terms of plot, characterisation and endless reveals. We watch as slowly but surely the Roy family secrets and indiscretions are unmasked. Louth is undoubtedly one of the best and most accomplished British crime writers working right today, and I hope he soon gains the recognition he deserves. Highly recommended. Many thanks to Canelo for an ARC.
Another great read by Nick, I am enjoying reading this series.  A written story and I am looking forward to reading the next book.
I've already read The Body in the Mist, so I was looking forward to this one and I wasn't disappointed. The Body in the Snow has a strong plot, well written characters and a few twists and turns. It's a well-detailed book that kept my interest going.
A strong police procedural

A skull smashed in the snow found by the trainee cop Kirsty who tried to maintain the crime scene with ingenious methods until DCI Craig Gillard came to the scene. The team started their investigation.

My first book by author Nick Louth, though it was the fourth in the series, was a well written police procedural. Quite detailed with a solid plot line, I loved how the team had to go searching for clues. The plot lines seemed to enmesh smoothly, and the scenes seemed to just flow.

Gillard was a great cop who knew how to lead his team even through various obstacles. I didn't bother much about their personal lives as I was more into the investigation. The author knew how to keep my interest going. This was a well detailed, solid police investigation where the realities of working with a good team and some not so diligent members were shown.

The prose kept me hooked, the story unfolded slowly. There were no twists and neither did I try to become a part of this investigation. I just read about Gillard doing his job with strength and determination.
Another brilliant book in this series. There are plenty of twists in the plot and some interesting characters. I read this book in one sitting. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
A page turner a police procedural i could not put down  well written complex an author I will be following looking forward to the next in the series.#netgalley#canelo
Normally I read books that are a part of a series in order, but was given the chance to read “The Body in the Snow” as an advanced reader’s copy through NetGalley. The main character, DCI Gillard, was interesting, and I enjoyed his interactions with his coworkers, friends and family of the victims and suspects. I did not see the ending coming. This was a good police procedural, I’ll definitely be reading the rest of the series starting at the beginning.
This is the second book in the DCI Gillard series I have read.  This one is a police procedural and very good.
A new detective is out jogging and comes across the body of Tanvi Roy, rich businesswoman. Gillard and his team start the slow process of solving the murder.
The story was well written and kept me guessing on the murder.  I was not happy to see Gillard’s aunt again - which really does not add to the story.

Thank you, Net Galley, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and plan to read the others.

Kirsty Mockett happens upon a murder the day before she was scheduled to begin her new job as a crime scene investigator.  Despite her inexperience and nervousness, she shows immediate promise by finding a creative way to preserve evidence at the snowy scene.  So far, so good.  This was an excellent start to a book featuring someone I thought would be a terrific protagonist—a bright, energetic young woman with plenty of brains but also plenty to learn.  Not being familiar with the other books in this series, I was excited for this excellent character to pair up with an experienced DCI named Craig Gillard (as mentioned on the cover) to investigate the case.  Except that she didn’t.  The case is turned over to DCI Gillard, who does a fine job, and Kirsty exits stage left, basically never to be heard from again.  The book is a solid police procedural with plenty of viable suspects and motives and a satisfying conclusion.  I enjoyed it while vaguely lamenting the whole time that Kirsty wasn’t involved;  I felt that it was a missed opportunity to feature a much more interesting investigator in conjunction with Gillard.

Thanks to Netgalley and Canelo for a digital advance review copy.
It's the first book I read in this series and won't surely be the last.
It's a gripping and entertaining story, well crafted and it kept my interest till the end.
The mystery is solid, the cast of characters well thought.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
DCI Gillard returns in The Body in the Snow which is the latest book by Nick Louth

This is a police procedural novel that moves along at a decent pace and has a good underlying story or more accurately stories

My only reservation is the side story about Gillard’s Aunt but that aside this is a book I enjoyed & would recommend
Straightforward police procedural, this author is not afraid to deal with UK/Asia Indian family’s prejudices ...  arranged marriages , inheritance laws and fears of so-called abnormal behaviour all emerge...even suspect is trainee police detective in collusion when first witness is implicated. Maybe it’s all too pat, but two brutal murders planned for same-sex love and financial gain begins to feel like tarnishing that love and fear of dominant woman who is Indian ..  then there's f complete confession .. hard for Gillard to navigate the ins and outs to find his killer..interesting and fast paced (although at times things lagged).. this is not bad at all, and clearly part of an ongoing series.
Much , much better than an earlier book ("Body on Shore") which I read a couple of years ago.

A wealthy woman brutally killed in the snow and DCI Gillard called in to solve the murder. I actually warmed to this central character, and well above average solving a tricky family type murder mystery. Members of the family send DCI Gillard down all sorts of blind alleys.

Good pace all the way through, and a believable ending.

Thanks to Canelo and Net Galley for the chance to read and review.