Cover Image: The Body in the Snow

The Body in the Snow

With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers, Canelo for the arc, which I have enjoyed reading.
This is the fourth book in the DCI Craig Gillard series and each book just gets better. I have only recently read the first book in the series, The Body in the Marsh, having read books 2 and 3 previously and I have been impressed by the high standard of storytelling in each of the books. The characters that appear regularly all have their own characteristics and idiosyncrasies and the reader sees a little more with each book. I am looking forward to reading book 5 next year, The Body Under The Bridge.
Highly recommended
A young trainee CSI Officer out early in the morning comes across a body laying in the snow , passed onto DCI Gillard and his team there are few clues and very little at the crime scene to help locate the murderer

Number 4 in the series and getting better with every book that is published
I would like to thank Netgalley and Canelo for an advance copy of The Body in the Snow, the fourth novel to feature DCI Craig Gillard of the Surrey Police.

When trainee CSI Kirsty Mockett comes across the murdered body of Mrs Tanvi Roy lying in melting snow she does her best to preserve the scene but there are few clues for Gillard and his team to follow and they soon come to believe that the solution will be found in the tangled relationships that comprise Mrs Roy’s family and work life.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Body in the Snow which is exactly the kind of novel I like to read, a good police procedural with a well hidden perpetrator and a strong investigation. The novel grabbed my attention from the start with the discovery of the body in unusual circumstances and the revelation that Mrs Roy (no Tanvi for her) was a TV chef and business owner, therefore a celebrity and added pressure on the investigation. Mr Louth, who is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, has a way of making his plot both accessible and curiosity inducing very quickly. It’s a skill that is often overlooked but seems to me essential in this era of low attention span and I include myself in this - I like to be hooked early on. The novel is not action packed, except a few obligatory scenes near the end, and doesn’t have many shocking or surprising twists, again more towards the end, but that doesn’t make it boring or uninteresting. I was fascinated by the gradual unravelling of the Roy family secrets and relationships. There seems to be a new reveal on every page and it all adds to the mystery of the murder and the perpetrator. The solution is perhaps not as strong as the rest of the novel but plays well in the setting of a Hindu family.

There is a mild subplot of harassment in Gillard’s personal life. I’m unsure about it as it seems a bit like background noise with the investigation properly taking front and centre stage. On the other hand most harassment often starts low key and is difficult to prove, only having an effect on the victimised. I think it may be an ongoing thread and I look forward to seeing it developed further with greater emphasis.

The Body in the Snow is a good read that I have no hesitation in recommending.
Mrs Roy runs a successful company and is murdered while walking her dog. Who did it and why? DCI Gillard is tasked to find out. An excellent book that keeps your attention throughout both in regards to the case and his private life. Family tensions and intrigues, a great read, enjoy.
Very suspenseful mystery filled with family drama, lies, deceit, and of course murder. When a family matriarch is found murdered while out walking the dog, the police are forced to look into all aspects of the family on both a  personal and professional level.  What they find will lead them on a chase to find out who was able to commit murder.  This was my first book by Nick Louth, and I am looking forward to more.  The characters and plot were well developed and the story had many twists and turns that kept me guessing until the very end.
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Another brilliant storyline from Nick Louth. I really don’t know how he manages to pull the rabbit out of the hat right at the end, just when you are sure you’ve worked out who it is!!!

At first you think Craig is going round in circles until he gets a lucky break and it all slots into place.  It was an interesting storyline from the female Indian prospective, I didn’t realise they went so far over to the male hierarchy, almost to the point of any female exclusion.  I have to say it was very enjoyable.

However, his wife gets on my nerves, she’s so pathetic, if she doesn’t like being in her own she shouldn’t have married him!   She gives him a hard time, and he’s got enough on his plate.

My thanks to Nick and Netgalley for the ARC.

I
Another excellent book, only discovered this author recently but look forward to every book now.
Fast paced with twists galore well worth a read
This was very good. I enjoyed the story and description of a family feud, as well as the detectives trying to solve the murder. I don’t was to give the plot away, but every character was well developed and believable. Highly recommended.
Thanks to Netgalley and Canelo books for the opportunity to read the fourth book in the DCI Gillard series. It was very cleverly written managing to weave in a different culture while still being entertaining. Lots of twists and turns , with side-stories of  a trainee CSI tampering with evidence. I didn’t quite work out what happened to her , she seemed to just get away with it. Also insider trading and the creepy , manipulative aunt who has moved in across the road. A great book once again from Nick Louth
Thanks to NetGalley for an opportunity to read this new offering from Nick Louth. I have read all of the books in this series and found this one to be the least admirable. There did not seem to be as much attention to details as in previous novels and this was also shorter in length. Maybe suffering a bit from writer's block - I am sure the next one will be more gripping.
This book follows the investigation of the death of a business woman in a park. DCI Craig Gillard is appointed to the case.  The storyline is Good but I found there was a lot of wasted time with little twists that weren’t built up enough to seem realistic.  I have not read any of the other stories with this main character and perhaps that would have helped. I found there were things that were mentioned but then just dropped to the side. The characters weren’t overly interesting and I didn’t really care much for any of them. It is a decent book but it lacks the excitement and suspense that most crime novels have.
When a young, newly qualified, Forensic Scene Investigator goes out jogging in the snow the day before her first day on duty she didn’t expect to be a witness to a murder.

First on the scene she attempts to protect it from being destroyed by the victims dog, and preserve tacks that are being lost as the snow melts.

Her knight in shining armour arrives in the form of Senior Investigating Officer Craig Gillllard, one of Surreys Murder Investigation Team.

The victim is Tanvi Roy, the owner of a large Indian Cuisine Company and the matriarch of the dysfunctional Roy Family.

The family are Hindus and run their business, and their family affairs, in a traditional manner.

Mrs Roy’s husband had died before the story starts but his influences run right through the book. The multi-million pound fortune is tied up in a Codicil which sees unequal sharing of equities, with Sons, Grandsons, and even Son-in-Laws, being given much more value than, wives, daughters and granddaughters.

The unequal distribution of share holding’s means that it’s nearly impossible to get a group decision, and one rival company has been trying to buy the Roy’s business for years

This gives just about everybody in the family a reason to see Mrs Roy dead.

Throughout the investigation Gillard uncovers years of resent within the family.

I love a book that gives me new knowledge as well as entertains me. This book has done just that. I fell into a Google worm-hole that lasted for hours looking at Hindu family traditions, including Codicil Wills, arranged marriages and Castes.

Nick Louth has written a wonderful book. Some people will do as I did and research the Hindu faith, and I’m sure will learn they did not know as much as they thought.

I think this was a brave book to write. It looks at a religion and bases a family murder firmly in the way that people of that faith act. It looks at the differences between generations, and the conflicts between the older, first generation of immigrants, and their more westernised younger generations, and the problems that it can.

A wonderful book that kept me reading when I should have been doing other things.
I am grateful to net galley and Canelo for a review copy of this book. I really enjoyed this book it was a great murder mystery, drew you in from the first chapter and there were plenty of plot twists that had the reader guessing what was coming next.

It is essentially a story of a culture, a culture which I dont have a lot of experience or knowledge in but everything was explained, so my lack of knowledge of Indian culture wasn't a drawback. I read this book in about four sittings, it is by no means a long book but some of the chapters do go on for a bit longer than nessecary in my opinion.

Two slight observations, I felt there were too many characters in the book, too many who didn't really have a role to play but were in some senses integral to the story, it was a bit much for me to try and keep all of these characters names in my head as to who they were and what their relationship was to the other characters, nevertheless it didn't overly detract from my enjoyment of the book.

The second observation is that this book is part of a series of books, I haven't read the first few books and so am missing some of the backstory to the characters, sometimes it felt like I was missing something important but it did make me want to go away and read the rest of the books.

All in all i would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Peter Robinson, Ian Rankin or that ilk, I dont think you will be disappointed.
Body in the Snow is another excellent read in the DCI Craig Gillard crime thriller series.
On a snowy day a body of an Asian woman is found in a local park. She is head of an extremely successful company selling spices and food. Due to Indian tradition males only are deemed fit to head businesses, females expected to take a back seat.
There are plenty of suspects within the family, gradually most are cleared of any involvement but this story just gets better and better as the investigation continues. With lots of twists and turns, packed with an abundance of great characters this is a cracking read, plus I really hadn’t worked out whodunnit so it was a complete surprise at the reveal!
A gripping read, with Gillard also having a tough time in his personal life with an anxious pregnant wife who has previously had a miscarriage and his foul Aunt still living across the road causing trouble, I fear there is more sheer awfulness to come from this character.
I can’t wait for the next, in particular due to what was alluded to in the final paragraph. Well done, brilliant!
My thanks to net galley and publisher for the opportunity to review this book honestly
This is the fourth novel in the DCI Craig Gillard series. Prepare to enter a world of curries, exotic spices, arranged marriages and where sons are preferred over daughters. DCI Gillard has to deal with all this when Tanvi Roy, a successful Hindi woman, boss of the Empire of Spice is bludgeoned in the snow. A tense and gripping read and provides a great insight into the Hindu family life.
Well written as always, Nick Louth does not disappoint, I love all his novels! Good police procedurals and a great storyline. Although 4th in the series, all novels are stand alone. Recommended reading.
An easy, enjoyable read.  The story had plenty of plot twists and the characters were well developed.

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this title.  #TheBodyintheSnow #NetGalley
You never know how far the reach is of criminal mind!   Excellent story line,  how family secrets will unfold,  Just the kind of book to remove you from everyday stress,  to on edge of seat read!
What a good book. Lots of twists and turns and you are left guessing as to who did it. There are also a number of red herrings just to add some variety. Great book
I love this series of books, and this instalment did not disappoint one iota.   An excellent who dun it,combined with family problems for both the Gillards and the victim’s family.   Loved it.   Hope there is another instalment
The fourth, and best so far, in the DCI Gillard series. This time he is on the trail to find the murderer of a high flying Indian matriarch of a food and spice company, whose death starts off as mysterious but then becomes a rather bizarre murder. She ruled her family in almost completely Hindu fashion as determined by her late husband - the girls are irrelevant, the son all important (but they all benefit from the wealth he created, just not necessarily how he meant them to). They all have issues and things to hide, of course. There are detailed descriptions of traditional Hindu life and you can feel the conflicts through living in modern Britain at times. Business and finance deals abound all adding to the mystery,  The novel focuses very much on the murder with little, but enough, dealing with Gillard's family issues. His wife Sam is pregnant again and starting to feel vulnerable/getting less tolerant with an ever increasingly absent husband as the case takes over. The ghastly Aunt Trish of previous stories remains but, fortunately, as an annoyance rather than a key part. Phew, but I guess she might come to the fore again in the future; fingers crossed not! Gillard's team work as well together as ever - his reliable second in command Claire, the somewhat work shy Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the forensics team. The research behind the story is as detailed and comprehensive as ever making it a joy to read despite a few rather gory bits.  Roll on the next one Mr Louth, please.Thanks to NetGalley and Canelo for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.