MURDEROUS SECRETS

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Nov 2019

I really enjoyed this book so much.  It has a really great plot, superb main characters and I read it in one sitting.  I would highly recommend this book.
Attending a dance party on an old farm, two bodies are discovered brutally murdered. Good thing DS Ava is there and helps set up the crime scene. A lot of characters and twists and turns, leading up to a revenge murder that was decades in the making. Interesting to also view the insides of British crime scene detectives. At times though, a lot going on, and had to reread a few areas to stay caught up on who is who. Otherwise, highly recommend this book. First I've read in the series, but wasn't lost.
With a murder scene so heinous, it looks like it came straight out of a horror movie, the law enforcement officers were left in a daze as to the mental state of the murderer. They were faced with such twisted puzzling pieces they had a hell of a time trying to find the murderer and figure out the reason behind the inhumane acts to the victims. This story was fascinating, captivating and truly intriguing.
Murderous Secrets by Janice Frost is the sixth book in the DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal series. This is the first book I have read from this author and I loved the way she wrote this book.
This book was excellent and I will be reading more from this author in the future. So glad I've found a new author and enjoy more of her books.

Big Thank you to NetGalley, Joffe Books and the author Janice Frost for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A fast-paced read, with enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. I enjoyed this very much.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
This is book 6 in the series, and a very welcome addtion! I raced through this book, as it's such a fast paced mystery. Jim and Ava make a very good team, each using their unique abilities, to help bring the case to a close. part vollage mystery, part police procedural, this is a book that will keep your attention, and have you reading all the books in the series, when you finish it!
The title if this book says it all! A charity 1940's barn dance is in full swing and, luckily has DS Ava Merry and DC Polly Jane (PJ for short), in attendance! Their idea of  lovely evening cut short by the discovery of a body, and it's not the last! As the bidues mount up, so do the suspects. Nobody knows if these deaths are the work of one killer or even how they connect.
I was gripped till the very end, trying to work it out, but, nope, I couldn't! Really enjoyable book that's number 6 in the series and well worth starting from the beginning as Janice has developed her characters so much. I for one, will be reading em all!
It took me a long but to finally get into this book. There was a lot going on, which made for an awesome twist  at the end to who done it.
My biggest advice when reading is pay attention or you will get lost.
Ms Frost's books are a good bet. As usual, this has a good plot, characters, and dialog. The many longer, positive reviews will tell you more.

I really appreciate the review copy!!
My first encounter with Neal and Merry, congratulations to Janice Frost on a really great storyline, keeps the reader totally involved and trying to guess ‘who dunnit ‘ !  A guaranteed page turner and a must read!
I enjoyed this book .  Well written and a  good plot . I haven't read any of the series so didn't know the characters (the detectives)  , but that is my own fault . Nice twists to the tale and totally believable . I liked that you got into the crime scene quite quickly and that the thinking behind who did it was explained and logical .
I will be reading more from this author . I received a copy of this book from Net Galley in echange for an impartial review
Murderous Secrets...while I think the title could use some creative work, it aptly describes the book.  I have never read another book from this series, however it did not hinder my experience.  It was an entertaining detective murder mystery. There were enough parts that seemed to drag,  or be drastically detailed & over-explained, that it brought it back a star.  Thank you Netgalley for allowing me a free copy of this novel in exchange for my honest opinion.
Murderous Secrets by Janice Frost takes you into a murder mystery that you enjoy from the beginning with the characters coming to life and their secrets being revealed as you go further into the book. The doubts cast on different characters after the first murders are committed then you are taken into the personal lives of the investigation team with DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal as they try to find not only the murder but the motive too.
An enjoyable read easy to follow and just the book to curl up with.
Murderous Secrets  is the 6th book in this series but the first I have read. I found the mystery very interesting and I didn't guess right away the killer. I loved the setting at a rural farm turned glam yurts. We start off with a Valentine Dance in the barn with the theme being 1940's. PJ and Ava are off duty and attending this party. As they find out they are never really off duty. Everything that happens in this mystery is so well set out in front of you but not so you guess right away. This being the first book I have read in this series I did once or twice wonder about a past reference but it was not a problem. I will be reading more in this series as I enjoyed the characters. I loved the cover to the book. It caught my eye right away. Thank you Netgalley and Joffe Books for and ARC and the opportunity to leave an honest review.
I have been a fan of Janice's work for quite a while now.  In fact I have been a fan since I had the good fortune to pick up one of the earlier books in the series featuring Detectives Neal and Merry.  Since then I have read the rest of the series in order and from the beginning, whilst (im)patiently waiting for Janice to release the next book in the series.  The wait is temporarily over because the latest book in the series is called 'Murderous Secrets' and it was released on 14th November 2019.  It really is a cracking addition to the series and I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Murderous Secrets' but more about that in a bit.
What can I say about Detectives Merry and Neal?  They are determined detectives with many years experience between them.  They have a close working relationship and I get the impression that before long they will be close in other ways too if you get my drift.  Neal isn't sure about having a relationship with Merry because of the implications that could have for their professional lives.  They are loyal to each other and each has the other's back.  They both work well as part of a team but they also work equally well on their own.  I get the impression that Merry can occasionally be a bit rash and rush into situations without thinking about the potential risks.  Both of the detectives are determined, tenacious, serious, driven but they are also kind, gentle, sensitive and compassionate.  Will Merry and Neal and the other members of the team solve this latest case?  Well for the answer to that question and so much more you are just going to have to read the book for yourselves to find out because I am not going to tell you.
Oh my goodness me, 'Murderous Secrets' is one hell of a fantastic addition to the Merry & Neal series.  I was completely under the book's spell from the moment I opened the front cover until the moment I read the last word on the last page.  Reading this book became a serious addiction.  If I had to put the book to one side for any reason, then I would use every excuse I could find to enable me to get back to the book.  The book wasn't exactly glued to my hand but it might as well have been because it travelled everywhere with me.  I didn't want to miss a single second of the story or miss some vital clue in the case.  I had my suspicions as to what was going to happen and how the story was going to conclude so I had to keep reading to see if I was on the right path or if I had the wrong end of the stick.  I managed to binge read the book over the course of a couple of days which is pretty good going for me.  I was disappointed to finish the book because I was enjoying the author's writing style, the characters and the storylines so much that I just wanted the book to continue.
'Murderous Secrets' is superbly written but then I wouldn't expect anything else from Janice Frost.  She has a writing style that is easy to get used to and easy to get along with.  Janice starts this book in such a memorable way- I honestly cannot think of any other book that starts with a 1940s nostalgia night and ends up with two dead bodies, one of which is in the back of a 1940s ambulance.  Janice compels you to keep reading and I mean that in the nicest possible way.  Janice uses such vivid and realistic descriptions that I really did feel as though I was part of the story myself and another member of Detectives Neal and Merry's team.
Reading 'Murderous Secrets' was much like being on a scary and unpredictable rollercoaster ride with more twists and turns than you would find on a 'Snakes & Ladders' board.  Just when you think that you can reclaim your stomach, take a breather and let your nerves settle down then off the action would go again.
In short, 'Murderous Secrets' is another fantastic book from Janice Frost.  The series featuring Detectives Merry and Neal just goes from strength to strength and gets better and better.  I would definitely recommend Janice and her books to other readers.  I look forward to reading more of Janice's work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
Another complex case for A a and the team, a story of secrets, lies and manipulation with plenty of unexpected twists.
Ava and her friend PJ both police officers, go to a 40s themed dance at Northfields Farm. Unfortunately a body is discovered in an old ambulance stored on the property. Investigations find another victim but they miss catching the killer who knocks Ava over while fleeing.
A few days later a fire is started in a caravan on the farm.
Lots of secrets need finding out before they can find the killer.

I thoroughly enjoyed Murderous Secrets and i am looking forward to reading more from this author. It had me gripped from start to finish.

Murderous Secrets is a good read that I have no hesitation in recommending.
Great read. The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.
This book is the sixth and latest in the hugely successful series featuring Detective Inspector Jim Neal and Detective Sergeant Ava Merry and the rest of the team based in Stromfordshire. While Jim is at the wedding of his best friend Jock up in Scotland, Ava and Detective Constable PJ (Polly-Jane) Jenkins go to a 1940's theme charity dance being held at Northfields Farm on Valentine's night. The farm is home to retired engineer Aubrey and wife Bea Stratford who run a glamping business at the farm, together with their grown up children Blue and Monty who also run a micro brewery. Help at the farm comes from a mysterious individual called Soren Hunter, someone who wishes to keep his past hidden. During the dance three young boys are mooching about in one of the garages and discover the body of glamper Nick Winter brutally stabbed to death and left in an old wartime ambulance. Ava is first on the scene and despite being off duty takes charge until help arrives. Ava and Sroren Hunter later discover Nick's girlfriend Samantha Benrose in their yurt having met the same grisly end. A suspect flees the tent as they arrive but no one is quick enough to catch him. Could he be the killer and what motive could there be for the slaying of the young couple miles from their home where supposedly no one knew them? Jim Neal arrives back from Edinburgh and takes up the double murder case, but despite unhappy home lives neither one of the young couple seems to have been a target for murder. Just as the team think they may have found their man, another terrible murder occurs and the case seems to turn on its head. Will Ava and Jim ever discover the truth? There were lots of secrets rooted firmly in the past coming back to haunt several of the individuals involved in the Northfields farm business of glamping lets and micro brewery, and as each one came to light the list of suspects grew longer, and the focus moved from one to another as the story progressed. I was mostly able to guess who was responsible for the killings and why, but it was still great fun to be proved right! The story is so well told that it moved along at an almost effortless pace and I could have easily read the whole thing in one sitting (sadly work and sleep get in the way!!). Although the book is part of a series, it still works absolutely fine as a standalone but I think it's nice to know the history between the main detectives and their home lives, particularly as they are such a great bunch of characters. I very much enjoyed it and am already looking forward to more in this series. 5*
Deaths At A Dance...
Book six in the Detective Ava Merry series of mysteries. When Ava attends a vintage themed barn dance she encounters a series of gruesome murders and an intriguing mystery. Engaging storyline, credible characters and plenty of secrets. Entertaining murder mystery, a quick read which holds the readers attention throughout.