Cover Image: Calm the H*ck Down

Calm the H*ck Down

๐—•๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ธ ๐—ฅ๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ฒ๐˜„ - ๐—ฃ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—˜๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป โฃ
โฃ
If youโ€™re anything like me, youโ€™ve read a lot of parenting books - on the search for the number 42 (Hitchhikerโ€™s Guide to the Galaxy reference), but we always come up short. After reading book after book our brains are filled with conflicting information and our kids are still having a meltdown in the middle of the grocery store.โฃ
โฃ
At some point we give up, and go into blind. Until, now, when we get to benefit from ๐‚๐š๐ฅ๐ฆ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐‡*๐œ๐ค ๐ƒ๐จ๐ฐ๐ง: ๐‡๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐‹๐ž๐ญ ๐†๐จ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐‹๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ๐ž๐ง ๐”๐ฉ ๐€๐›๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐๐š๐ซ๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐ . Melanie Dale isn't some preachy child and family psychologist, she doesnโ€™t have all the answers, sheโ€™s one of us - a mom who is leading as she goes.โฃ
โฃ
๐‚๐š๐ฅ๐ฆ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐‡*๐œ๐ค ๐ƒ๐จ๐ฐ๐ง is more like a conversation with a friend, in the trenches of parenting with you. She gets real with us, she shares what works, she shares what doesnโ€™t, and she reminds us to relax - because we got this - really moms and dads - you got this.โฃ
โฃ
You know those parenting books that have those lame inspirational quotes at the beginning of every chapter? This ainโ€™t one of them - it does have quotes from horror movies and television shows, which totally means she gets it - parenting isnโ€™t a walk through a field of flowers, itโ€™s a trigger horror movie... Plus anyone who quotes Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my people.โฃ
โฃ
If youโ€™re looking for great conversational parenting advice, a good laugh, or just to be reminded you are not in this shit show alone, pick up this book - you wonโ€™t regret it.
I thought this was an actually helpful and realistic book about parenting while incorporating humor and being a blast to read.
Thank you so much to Atria books and to #Netgalley for this laugh out loud funny look at parenting.
Its been hard being a parent during this pandemic and this book was just the perfect distration.  It also reminded me that I am not along!
I enjoyed this read.

I highlighted many pages to refer back to!

I love this Author's voice and perspective.

Wonderful read!

*Recv'd a copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
This is not your typical parenting book! I appreciated Melanieโ€™s humor and wit with her book. The tips she gives at the end of each chapter are achievable. I really enjoyed this book.
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

i love Melanie Dale! She is hilarious and witty, and in an age where it seems everyone expects perfection from parents as well as their children, she does such a great job of bringing levity. Of reminding us that what matters so much as a parent is that our kids feel seen, known, and loved. That we show up for them imperfectly, and apologize when we make mistakes. Our kids will make plenty of them, she reminds us. I think this would be such a great book for anyone in the throes of motherhood with kids of any age that wonder if they're doing a good job. Would definitely recommend.
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley!

I absolutely love the title of the book.
Let's be real, as parents, we constantly doubt and second guess ourselves.
We always wonder if we are doing enough or if we are completely failing at this.
This book reminds us that we are all doing absolutely fine.
It was comical and so easy to read.
I honestly couldn't put the book down!

I'd definitely purchase a copy and check out other books by the author.
This was just what I needed. I was down-to-earth and quite funny. I didn't feel like a bad parent, I felt like I had found a supportive friend that would help me through this. It's helpful, but also makes me feel like I"m not alone in this parenting thing!  Overall, this was a great book!
This is a decently funny read about parenting and areas in which we can lighten up. It felt a bit too light for my taste, but it was funny.

Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is the first parenting book I've read that wasn't completely full of science and studies and a bunch of info that made me feel worse. The goal of this book is exactly as the title suggests, getting you to calm down about your parenting. Each chapter is focused on getting you to lighten up about a certain aspect of raising kids, and they vary but are fairly universally applicable (from behavior and language to feelings, friends, and relationships, with 16 total topics). The chapters are heavy on humorous (and sometimes cringe-worthy) stories from the author's life. There is good anecdotal advice, and each chapter ends with a list that applies to that content.
I would have preferred more stories related to the application of the advice, rather than a lot of retelling of instances from her family experience and the author's childhood. It was hard to make connections in some places, like why a story was being used. The book felt at times like it was trying too hard to be humorous, and I think I expected a little more meat, since it calls out in the description and the introduction that she is a special needs/adoptive/in-vitro mom and has gone through some hard things. Overall, it was a reassuring book and did provide some useful tips.
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The prologue of this book describes it perfectly. This isn't a preachy parenting book. This isn't even a person that appears to outwardly "have it all together." This book was humorous, while also providing pointers. I've heard before to lower your expectations, but it just seems like a blanket statement not meant to actually happen. Melanie makes the reader realize that really, truly we need to make life more realistic and enjoyable for everyone. This book was a fun, relief to read. A breath of fresh air into what society expects of us...and the expectations we put on ourselves.
This was the first really fun parenting book I've read and I felt like it still managed to give good advice.  Dale carefully navigates lots of parenting topics, including raising older kids, which is a subject that tends to not get near as much shelf space as baby books.  There are some tender moments and also times I laughed so hard out loud that my kid wouldn't stop bugging me to know what was funny.  I will never understand why "heck" is censored as the title but think that if you are drawn to a book about being a calmer parent, you'll find some good advice within.

Thanks to the publisher for providing an ARC through Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.
A parenting book that is actually FUN to read and full of practical, helpful advice. I found myself laughing out loud throughout the book and making lots of mental notes. Reading this felt like a (helpful) conversation from a friend a few seasons ahead in parenting. A great read for any parentโ€”I plan on returning to it whenever I feel myself getting too worked up about things that donโ€™t really matter in the long run.
What a fun read! Parenting books tend to have a way of putting me to sleep (maybe it's just me) or making me feel outraged (how dare you tell me I'm not a good parent!) - this book kept me awake and made me feel understood. Dale's stories are hilarious and her advice is encouraging and easily applicable to my daily life. I know a parenting book is good when I actually write notes down to look at later - I had two whole pages before I even hit the halfway mark on this book.

This would be a great gift for a new or soon-to-be parent and will definitely grow with the child.
In Calm The H*ck Down, author Melanie Dale offers a real and realistic look at parenting from newborns-teens. The advice Dale offers is encouraging and practical while also having the perfect balance of humor and light-heartedness. We could all use a bit of humor with parenting because let's face it, it's a rollercoaster ride!

This isn't a "how-to guide" but more of an "I have been there and here are some things that have worked with my kids and maybe will help you!" There is such a wealth of information that comes from parenting multiple children. As many of us know, you can do the very same things and come out with a different outcome, because every child (and person) is unique.

The most helpful thing I have learned along the way is once you "master" one thing, a new challenge comes along, and this is normal! And if you are worried you aren't doing a good enough job, well then you are probably doing just fine. <3

"Dale believes we are all putting too much pressure on ourselves and our kids to be perfect. Instead, she argues, we need to take a step back so we can actually enjoy this journey called parenting."

Some of the topics I found especially helpful included helping your kids develop healthy friendships, keeping kids the right amount of busy (not overscheduling), how to talk about sex (and consent!), and how to respectfully advocate for your kids.

I especially loved how she ended each chapter with a series of questions or prompts...such as "20 questions to ask at dinner besides 'How Was Your Day?'", "10 Things To Do Instead of Yelling", "10 Tips For Partnering While Parenting", "How to Talk to Teachers (they are people too!)" and "20 Ideas For Getting Your Monsters To Behave".

Whether you are a new parent or almost nearing the finish line (just kidding, there isn't one, LOL) this is the perfect book for new and experienced parents alike!ย

Thank you to @Atria Books for my gifted copy in exchange for my honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
This is fast becoming my new favorite parenting book.  It is not so much how-to manual as it is a therapy session, more about style & strategy than specific situations, although it includes some very practical tips.  It covers the years from newborn to teens and everything in between.  And since the author became a mom in 3 very different ways to 3 very different kids, she has a wealth of experience and insight.  And she is down right hilarious. I have found so much of the advice I would give myself but also plenty of new nuggets Iโ€™m excited to try.

So if youโ€™re looking for a super serious parenting book, this oneโ€™s not for you.  But if youโ€™d like some great, practical advice given in a light-hearted manner (and donโ€™t mind a few swears and some sci-fi nerdiness), have I got a book for you!
This is the first parenting book I've finished reading; usually I start them with high hopes and end up discarding them along the way. The stories Melanie shares from her own experience are laugh-out-loud funny. At the same time, the advice Melanie offers is encouraging and practical; she ends each chapter with lists like "10 Things to do Instead of Yelling" and "22 Age-Appropriate Chore Ideas." My kids are still little, but this is a book I definitely could revisit as they grow.
We could all use a bit of humor when it comes to parenting. One of my favorite quotes is "Your kids will change how you see the world." I can totally relate to the chapter about "What Happens in the Backpack Stays in the Backpack" it is a great reminder as I am dealing the the school years right now.  The "You can Say no to Stuff" part is spot on as you are asked to volunteer for everything. Melanie reminds us that it's ok to say no.  The biggest takeaway from this book is to lighten up about parenting.  Love the parenting tips at the end of the chapters.  I would recommend this book to other parents in a heartbeat.  We all need the reminder to Calm the h*ck down!
Melanie Dale offers a real and realistic look at parenting as a hilarious and oh-so-relatable mother and author. This was a fantastic read that didn't feel like a parenting book, but included tons of good advice through laugh out loud stories that kept me reading. This book came at a perfect time in my mothering journey and I plan to reread for years to come. It's a perfect gift for new and experienced moms alike!
This book is really funny. I laughed out loud at some of the stories.  The antidotes are real, honest, and many people need to hear them. The parenting advice is common practice by many leading parent authorities.  My reason for giving it three stars, is that from a trauma informed and adopted parent perspective she misses the mark on best connected practices.  And I donโ€™t agree with many mainstream strategies. I fall into a growth mindset strategy that values the relationship above rules. That functions under the principle children do well if they can.  There is always a reason behind the behavior, a parents job is to find the why behind the behavior.  I donโ€™t think the author intended to be an expert do all I say parent advice book.  She achieves her goal.  We can all calm down.

So read the book to help calm yourself down.  Read the book to remember we can relax many parenting standards.  But donโ€™t read the book as solid parenting strategies.

My other concern is that this book is from a blogger and author with a Christian perspective.  She is quite liberal.  As a parent who swears. And this book really is not written from an evangelical or bible based faith perspective.  Itโ€™s not mentioned really, which is fine, but wasnโ€™t what I expected.

Thankful to have read an advanced copy.