Cover Image: The Girls Weekend

The Girls Weekend

Jody Gehrman created a fun read with a lot of good qualities; easy to get into, characters you related to, characters you disliked! What could possibly go wrong when five girls who were close in college, get together for a girls weekend 15 years after college. I felt like Sadie was the most relatable character in that everyone knows a Sadie; whether your good friends with her or you simply notice her from a far, there's one in every crowd. She's the friend that seems to have life figured out and makes it look easy, but as we all know that is never truly the whole story. When the girls wake up one morning and realize something is terribly wrong, everyone seems to have a reason to be suspicious of each other. Almost all the characters brought a necessary relationship and dynamic to the overall plot that made everyone a suspect. That being said I absolutely could not stand Kimiko's character. I thought she was shady, that she was only looking out for herself, she had so many skeletons (some were really out there) and she infuriated me with everything she said or did. When the pieces start coming together and the girls figure out what really happened, and why, it was a big surprise! This was a quick and fun read with a twist you won't see coming.
Thank you to NetGalley, Jody Gehrman and Crooked Lane Books for the free e-book in exchange for an honest review.

I don’t know why but thrillers that happen on girl’s weekends or parties are like my guilty pleasure! So I was so excited to get approved for this one and I was not disappointed! There is so much animosity between a lot of the women and so many twists peppered throughout this novel that I couldn’t help but be excited to keep reading. I was a bit annoyed that the chapters are quite long, making it hard for me to read when you have only short amounts of time. But the atmosphere was so fraught with tension that you have to know what happens next! I really hated most of the characters and I love to hate characters!

Out June 9th!
Pick this one up! You won't regret it. This mystery thriller combo by Jody Gehrman is such a page turner, I promise you will devour it in a short sitting! The cover is what caught my eye and once I started reading the first few pages, I couldn't put it down! I love books based off of close friendships, suspense and a remote location! Couldn't have picked a better weekend thriller! Thank you to the author of this book, Crooked Lane Books and of course NetGalley for my ARC! I truly appreciate it.
I have always enjoyed a book that is based on friendships, especially college friendships!  I met some of my closest girlfriends in college.  I also love a good mystery to solve, and this was no exception, until it was.

Things start off innocent enough when everyone arrives at Sadie’s mansion. The girls seem to  be getting along and talking about the good old days.  The mystery part of the story starts when the ladies wake up after a night of drinking and remember nothing.   They then discover that they are not all present and accounted for.  Sadie is missing.  The strange part to me was even after they discovered the blood streaks in the house, nobody was in a rush to call the cops.  The girls wanted to solve the mystery themselves.  Ok so your friend is missing, there is blood in the house, and you want to play detective?! Ok.

This may be the reason why I could not connect with any of the characters, and for me that's not a good sign.  I found myself putting this one down, starting another book, and then eventually coming back to it.  I will say that the ending took me by surprise.  I did not see that coming.

If you want to find out what happened to Sadie, grab your copy on June 9, 2020!

Thank you Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for my ARC.
This was just a no for me, I'm sorry I really wanted to like it. The premise seemed like it would be something I liked.  I never liked any of the characters, and the ending seemed a bit rushed and so so
This read was a great escape for quarantine! I liked the suspense and tension of the characters.  It was fast paced and kept my attention. (hard to do these days)
Many thanks to Crooked Lane Books and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Great mystery that keeps you thinking to the end.  I definitely didn't see that possibility!  Enjoyed this one!
Unreliable narrator? Yep. Old friends and old secrets? Yep. Fancy out of the way location for lots to go awry? I got Ruth Ware vibes from this one (for better or worse) and it was a quick read that def will find itself in the beach bags of folks looking for a mystery that has more than a few red herrings (at least twice the author debunked my theory of what I thought happened in a pretty pitch perfect way). Not the greatest in the genre so if you have it competing with other books, like The Girl from Widow Hills, Id lean in that direction. The characters were hard to relate to with no real back story and I have no idea why they were even friends tbh. The mystery was really what kept me reading bc I needed to know what happened but everything else was forgettable
I really enjoyed this book. For someone who doesn’t read many thrillers and is new to the genre, I found it very entertaining and thrilling. I really like The Who done it troupe and thought the twist was well done. All in all this was a fun fast pace read!
A nail biter!!! A who done it! Loved this book! Stayed up to finish and lost sleep it was that good! I am definitely going to be reading more from this author. This is probably best of the year so far for me! Pick it up! You won't be disappointed.
Instagram:
Sunglasses raccoon living her best life under my money tree is ready for summer. She got a taste of it with the advanced copy of this #thriller coming in June - THE GIRLS WEEKEND. What happens when a weekend away with your college frenemies ends with someone disappearing? I thought this had good plot but struggled to connect with the characters. If you are plot focused reader this will probably work well for you. I received an advanced copy from @netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

GoodReads:
The technical plot pieces of a good thriller were all there, but I just didn't care about any of the characters that much, making it hard for me to be intrigued on their behalf. They didn't seem to have much of a bond, and I just didn't feel like I knew any of them that well or got to know most of them better over the course of the book. The ending was twisty but it left me feeling meh.

As an aside, I'm not sure why the character who is half Japanese and half Italian wore cornrows and taught her white friend how to braid them?

*I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.*
When June’s best friend convinces her to come on a girls weekend with their group of college friends that they haven’t seen in some time, she is hesitant because the getaway is being held at her old nemesis Sadie’s house. Sadie with the perfect life, the career that June wanted, and the husband who used to be June’s boyfriend..

Their first night there quickly becomes a party with shots, secrets, and blood flying everywhere.

In the morning when they realize their host of all people has gone missing, no one remembers anything from the previous nights festivities, and it we find out quickly that everyone had something against her; including her own husband, daughter and live-in landscaper.

This was a fast, fun, easy mystery to read with tons of possibilities! I liked the setting and the characters, but I was up and down with it at times. Overall, I would say a solid read!

Thank you to NetGalley, Jody Gehrman and Crooked Lane books for this ARC!
I was REALLY intrigued by the premise of this one and it started off on a good note, but I quickly became bored honestly. I also didn’t love the MC. As much as I love flawed characters, June just didn’t make sense to me.

I’m not exactly sure why I didn’t end up DNFing this, but I guess it turned out to be a solid enough mystery. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-arc in exchange for an honest review.
Very good, tightly woven thriller. Unlike a recent "girls getaway" novel that I had to abandon, this one held me in its grip.  I enjoyed getting to know the characters and their backstories.  Nothing was too far-fetched and I was almost immediately drawn in to the drama.  Comparing it to an Agatha Christie mystery is a bit of a stretch but I think this one will resonate with many mystery/thriller fans. Hadn't heard of Jody Gehrman before but will certainly trust her with more of my book picks. Nice, easy style of writing. Thank you Netgalley/Crooked Lane Books for the advanced copy of this one.  Much appreciated!
This one really kept me reading once it got going. Everyone can relate to feeling some sense of jealousy over someone that seems to have EVERYTHING, and that is the premise of this story through the lens of June and her jealousy of college friend, Sadie.
The murder mystery aspect of Girls’ Weekend keeps you guessing until almost the very end and the complex relationships between this group of friends is an intricate story in and of itself.
The Girls Weekend was a fast paced thriller about a group of friends that haven't seen each other since college. There were many twists and turns throughout the novel. This will definitely be a good book to enjoy while on vacation. Thank you NetGalley for giving me a chance to read this before it is published!
I truly enjoyed this book. It’s not my typical read but I would recommend it to others. I enjoyed the story and the writing.
I really enjoyed this book.  Thrillers/suspense are my favorite.  Loved all of the different characters and their backgrounds.  I was hooked from the beginning and had to know where it was going and who did it.  I felt that once we got to the end, it was wrapped up a little too quickly but I still enjoyed how it all played out.
Very much enjoyed this story. I like the backstories of the friends. Good blend between character development and thrilling plot.
The Girls Weekend by Jody Gehrman was a thriller - I note that to begin as I'm not reading thrillers as much as usual, so it's just worth noting for that reason. This one is about a group of college friends who decide to finally reunite after not having been together for years for a baby shower/girls' weekend. As you can imagine given the genre, there's some ish between them. One of the primary underlying grudges is between June, a community college professor, and Sadie, a famous author who is hosting the weekend. June was once romantically involved with June's husband prior to him dating Sadie. So, the group gets back together, and secrets start to resurface. Within the group of five, there are secrets between pairs, and they start to become revealed to others in the group, and that makes people feel a certain kind of way. Then, Sadie turns up missing, and all the fingers start getting pointed. Things are especially complicated because none of the women remember the night Sadie vanished. This is a thriller that kept me turning the pages as I there was all the drama and deception, and I wanted to know who was responsible. Thanks to NetGalley for the early look at this June 2020 planned release.