Cover Image: Boyfriend Material

Boyfriend Material

I loved it! The writing was so gripping, I practically ate the whole thing up. Luke was a little bit annoying, but he was also quirky and funny so I forgive him for that. Oliver is the cutest ever.
Super fun, quick read.
I saw this thinking I would like it better than Red White and Royal Blue, but I picked up the same vibe that just wasn’t for me.
This book was SO charming! I was laughing one page, sobbing the next, and just in general loving every moment. I thought the characters were so well developed and really both went through a good amount of growth at the end. My only complaint is wanting more, honestly!!
If you love books about royals and/or Red White & Royal Blue, READ THIS BOOK. Alexis Hall might have become an auto-buy author for me after reading this fun, frothy, delightful romance between a rock star's son and a barrister. The fake dating trope is one of my favorites, and this one is done very well, with lots of chemistry and adorable flirtation. The banter is fun and had me giggling to myself more than once (something that I don't do often while reading). Perfect for getting yourself out of a book rut or reading in one sitting!
I'm not a huge romance reader and this was super cute but ultimately not for me. It is something that people should read for themselves though.
I really enjoyed this book.  It was romantic without being cloying or pandering.  It followed the rules of the romcom genre, but gave it a fresh feeling perspective.  There are a lot of very British things that I were beyond me, some of the language, geography etc, but it was fun to get this kind of energy from a very needed category in todays world.
I want to thank NetGalley, SOURCEBOOKS Casablanca, and author Alexis Hall for providing me with an ARC of this novel, and for granting my wish!

𝗕𝗼𝗼𝗸 π—₯π—²π˜ƒπ—Άπ—²π˜„!!β €
π˜‰π˜°π˜Ίπ˜§π˜³π˜ͺ𝘦𝘯π˜₯ π˜”π˜’π˜΅π˜¦π˜³π˜ͺ𝘒𝘭 𝘣𝘺 𝘈𝘭𝘦𝘹π˜ͺ𝘴 π˜π˜’π˜­π˜­β €
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.75/5β €
Dare I say this was better than … β €
<*π˜™π˜¦π˜₯, 𝘞𝘩π˜ͺ𝘡𝘦 & π˜™π˜°π˜Ίπ˜’π˜­ π˜‰π˜­π˜Άπ˜¦>*!?!β €
β €
I laughed OUT LOUD so many times while I listened to this audiobook (major thank you to @librofm, btw). Joe Jameson is an absolute peach and I would like to have him narrate every novel from here on out. The way he changed his voice for every character was mind blowing.β €
β €
This was such a treasure of a novel. I looooved Luc and Oliver - I wish they were my friends in real life. The whole friend group dynamic is amazing and every character makes the next one even better. Luc’s mom is everything I aspire to be πŸ˜‚ and she was such a comedic relief. I felt for Oliver when he dealt with his family.. That hit so close to home I had to walk away from it one day. β €
β €
This is SUCH an important novel for the girls, gays, and theys (and everyone else) ESPECIALLY with Pride month approaching!! πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆπŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈβ €
β €
I can’t tell you enough how amazing of a book this is. Please read it. It will make your gay heart flutter. πŸ’—
This book was very beautifully written and fulfilled the job it set out to do, although the abrupt ending. Looking forward to a sequel!
Luc is a party boy with daddy issues, and Oliver is not. Oliver is of course going to see Luc's hidden depths, and Luc will look beyond Oliver's serious exterior, and they'll both care--but feelings will be hurt along the way. There's some great chemistry here, and a low heat level (smoldering, but mostly off-camera). Some of the relationship development stems from the duo's amazing friend group, which forms a main character unto itself. Dishy and satisfying.
I was looking for a book to give me the same vibes as Red, White & Royal Blue and I'm so excited to say that this one definitely did! I loved the characters and the relationship and this one will probably be one I reread.
I really enjoyed this. Especially the humour was everything, and I found myself laughing out loud numerous of times. Can definitely recommend!
I can not express how happy I am that I read this. Fake Dating is by far one of my fave tropes and I want more of it! I definitely shipped Luc & Oliver’s love story from the get go, so I’m happy with how it played out. Give me grumpy, snarky & British any day!!
I enjoyed this one, but I didn’t love it. There were some things that were a bit farfetched and that sort of ruined my enjoyment of it.
Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall

Luc’s life is falling apart and the only way he can keep his job, as the person running the PR for a small private charity, is by getting  a very respectable fake boyfriend. So he asks Oliver, a well respected barrister, to be his fake boyfriend. Then the fun and drama begins.

Lovely book following the ups and downs of true love.

The fun and enjoyment of the eccentric characters in this book were truly hysterical.

Loved the ultimate feel good factor of the journey the 2 men unexpectedly take .
DNF at 20%

I don't usually DNF a book. I always try my best to finish it or give it a fair chance but unfortunately this book had such glaring problems from the start that I could not bare to read past chapter 10.

The main character, Luc, is utterly insufferable. If I hadn't known this was an adult romance, I would have guessed that Luc was about 15 years old. The way he behaves and reacts to situations feels almost child-like and the way he speaks is just horrible, borderline offensive. I cannot stand self-pity and unfortunately this book is just 300 pages of it.

I definitely felt like I didn't "get" the humour in this book. The jokes were so awful that they were unfunny. I can't stomach jokes surrounding sexual assault and given the recent talks online about consent (even if it's just kissing), the whole scene between Luc and Oliver after their first date was a huge miss for me.

I also felt HIGHLY uncomfortable with the fact that the premise of the book is about being a "good gay" vs. being a "bad gay". This just screams internalised homophobia and I just felt so disgusted by the conversations surrounding Luc's sexuality by the people around him.

I felt that the side characters were flat, one dimensional and trying too hard to be funny but the jokes miss their mark every single time. Judging by other reviews I've read, there's also some stuff about invalidating bi/pansexual people and shaming people for their vegetarianism/forcing a vegetarian to eat meat???

I was really drawn to this book by the cover (very Red White and Royal Blue esque) and a lot of the people in my reading circle rated this 5 stars so I had such high hopes but this just reads like teen fanfiction with outdated and offensive jokes that just don't land. This ended up being a cringefest from start to finish and I'm really disappointed that I feel this way. I know a lot of people love this but this was just not for me.
This was my first book that I've read from Alexis Hall, and wow I really enjoyed it.
Such a fun and sweet story, It made me so happy!
I really liked the writing style, and the pacing was great.
Really enjoyable read. Compelling relationship. Sometimes the humour veers a little too ridiculous for my tastes - still funny, but so absurd that the characters feel less real and a bit like caricatures. But overall I still quite liked it!
I really enjoyed this British cute romance between then two main characters Luc and Oliver. The way this two come together involving fake dating was interesting to see. Although the writing made me cringe at times, I loved their interactions with one another, the jokes and self-deprecation was amazing I couldn't stop laughing at times.
Boyfriend Material is a fake relationship to real love story that has so much depth to it. I really fell in love with Luc and Oliver and wanted to see them succeed. Normally I am not a fan of romances from a single perspective, but it wasn't too bad in this story. Luc's struggle with his father, and his relationship with his mom added a lot of depth to his character who on the surface seemed really annoying. But I warmed up to him quickly.

Oliver is everything I love in a romantic lead and loved finding out more about his back story, which is why I would have really enjoyed seeing the story from his POV as well.

I loved the side characters, and the way that they really care about Luc even when he isn't being the best friend. The love of chosen family is real.
I'm just not sure why this didn't resonate with me as it clearly did with other readers! I found Luc vapid and shallow, so much so that I just didn't want to continue reading. There were moments that were funny, the side characters in particular, so I would consider trying another Alexis Hall book.