Cover Image: Cannonball

Cannonball

This short story was so lyrically written and enjoyable!  Watching the youngster gain in confidence in completing a cannonball successfully, through the advice of others and then finally listening to the small voice inside, fills the reader with a feeling of whimsy and rooting for final success.  When the cannonball is successfully executed, the feelings of triumph, self-confidence and joy are palpable.
I received an electronic ARC from Sourcebooks Kids through NetGalley.
Beautifully illustrated story of a young boy learning to be true to himself. He longs to be the top cannonball diver but is scared when he tries to dive off the board. Everyone has advice - some more ridiculous and funny than other recommendations. Finally, he gives up but his Nan told him to listen to his own heart and trust himself. The book ends with a spectacular cannonball dive.
Cotter captures the need to belong and be recognized. The message of being true to yourself comes through clearly as she shares this Maori boy's story.
I appreciated the glossary of dives included at the end.
Cannonball takes readers on a journey of self-discovery as a young boy learns to find his way in the world. Wanting to learn how to do a cannonball with a big splash, the young boy listens to advice from those around him. It is not until he learns to listen to himself that he finally finds success!
I love this little book by Sacha Cotter about a Maori boy in New Zealand who is trying to summon the courage to do a cannonball into a water hole. The illustrations are beautiful with lots to discuss with children. As a Speech-Language Pathologist, there is wonderfully descriptive language I would discuss with my students and the message of the little boy's perseverance is a good one.
This story takes readers to a swimming hole where we find the Maori people of New Zealand enjoying a beautiful day in the water.  The beautiful day is clouded by fear and nerves for one swimmer who just can't make himself jump from the platform.  Everyone has advice on how to cannonball, but nothing seems to work until the fearful jumper takes matters into his own hands and does things HIS way.

This is a fun summer read with an important message to "be who you are."  Colorful illustrations make this an attractive find that will find it's way into many hands.  Pair this with Jabari Jumps.
This is such a sweet book about perseverance and confidence. The boy has been hearing diving stories from his grandma and he’s dying to complete a perfect cannonball himself. But, his nerves and others’ opinions get to him. This is a great journey of self confidence.
Author Sacha Cotter makes the perfect splash with this children's book, "Cannonball." The story centers over a young child learning how to do a cannonball into the water. He just can't seem to figure out how to do one and everyone around him seems to have different advice on the proper technique. Will he ever find the way to execute the perfect cannonball?

Our family loved this story! Our kids are little fish in the pool who enjoy jumping in and splashing just as much as the main character in this story. We enjoyed following along on his journey of self-discovery and loved that there was a life lesson to be found in the book along with the fun adventure. The illustrations were bright, colorful and engaging! Fun for all ages of readers, the ending of this book is endearing and inspiring! We loved it and can't wait to get our own copy!
I received an ARC through NetGalley from Sourcebooks Wonderland. My 5-year-old gave this picture book all the stars! And it made him want to do a cannonball. A young boy dreams of doing the perfect cannonball off the diving board and he has a strong supporter in his Nan. Everyone wants to give him pointers on how to do it best, but in the end he has to find his own style and be himself to make it feel right. I liked the warm loving relationship he had with his Nan, the colorful outdoor page spreads, and the sweet repetitive language that flowed very nicely every time he was on the diving board. The glossary at the end had definitions for types of dives as well as the meaning of a couple Maori words. A simple inclusion of terms and the beauty from from New Zealand. Recommended for ages 3-7.
Thank you to Sourcebooks for this adorable egalley about a young boy who wants to make a big splash but has a hard time launching into the water with enough power. After a lot of unhelpful advice his grandmother tells him to listen to his own heart and to be his own self.  I LOVED his own self. This was really heartwarming.
I completely love this book. I love the idea of this book. You want to do a cannonball, you want to jump off the high dive, you want to make the big splash! But sometimes you need a little courage. Sometimes you need to learn to do things your own way. It doesn't have to be like anybody else. Just do you. At times this book Rhymes at times it doesn't which I find annoying. But that does not distract from the son of this story. The illustrations go amazingly well with the themes and ideas and just put a big smile on the readers face. Love this book, love this book, love this book.
A cute summer story about a boy gaining the courage to do a cannonball. The main character's Nan proved to be the most interesting, with the throwback illustrations of her in her youth. Overall, a nice read.
He's ready to make a splash!

I'm ready to pull off the perfect cannonball, but everyone has advice.
"You need more weight"
"Bigger shorts!"
"More muscles!"
"BIGGER SHORTS!"

All it really takes is listening to your own voice and finding the courage to make the perfect cannonball.

This is a fun story about being true to yourself, no matter what anyone else has to say.
This is a wonderful positive children’s story! I loved the colorful artwork and the message of the book.
Fun pictures and an interesting premise. I found the text to be jarring, written partially in rhyme. An inspiring message about persistence and a summery theme will make this appealing to some readers.

Thank you, NetGalley, for an advance digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Fun, cute and silly story for children. The artwork is detailed and vibrant and sure to put any child in the mood for sunshine and water play.
Are cannonballs a big deal in New Zealand? Judging by this book, it certainly seems like it. Cannonball is a story related by a young Maori boy who wants to achieve the perfect cannonball. But his attempts fail, and everyone has all kinds of (unhelpful) advice. It isn't until his grandmother tells him to be himself and do things his own way that he finally achieves his goal.

The story is sometimes in rhyme and sometimes not. I don't really mind, since the rhyming bits are mostly the kid's internal monologue. There's an interesting glossary at the back of different poses used to jump into the water, complete with names. The illustrations, though, are probably going to be what appeals to most readers. They're colourful and detailed, and show plenty of diversity within the cannonballing community.

I'm still not sure why cannonballs are such a big deal, but they make for an interesting premise. I can't say that I've ever read a book about cannonballing before, let alone one set in New Zealand.
This inspiring book encourages kids to think for themselves,  follow their gut-reactions and do things their own way.  It administers a perfect life lesson for both the young and the old.

A young boy dreams of doing the perfect cannonball and wants to show everyone his prowess. He only has one problem, he's terrified to jump off the diving board.

Everyone gives him advice on how to make that flawless leap.

"You need more weight!"
"Bigger shorts!"
"More muscles!"
BIGGER SHORTS!"

The boy tries all the gimmicks suggested to him but in doing so discovers it only makes him more uncertain and frightened of not being able to succeed with his idealist task.

He receives coaching from his beloved Nan.
"Listen to your heart, to your mind,
to the pull that's inside.  Do it your way."
"My way?"
"Yes baby, all the way!"

Can he muster up the courage inside of him and listen to what his inner voice is dictating to him to make that perfect cannonball splash?

The rhyming text is greatly enriched by emotional, colourful illustrations.  They are very well executed and action-packed.  The book encourages kids to be themselves, to be brave,  to find their confidence and then...... go for it.  I highly recommend this book.
A very sweet read about finding your own way to do things even if it is different from everyone else's way. The illustrations are also wonderful. Perfect reading for anytime a little one feels they can't quite do what they would like to.
That was adorable! I loved the text, which rhymed and flowed nicely, and I really enjoyed the illustrations. This is a great story about being yourself and finding confidence. This will be a great one-on-one reading or a read-aloud for 5-8 y/o, especially in the summer.
An inspirational picture book that showcases the power of positive thinking. All our young main character wants to do is dive off the diving board and do the perfect cannonball. The problem is, they're too scared to do it. With encouragement from loving family, our young diver soon learns that the power to be ourselves is in us all the time. We just need to find the courage to be ourselves.