Cover Image: Weird but Normal

Weird but Normal

This book of essays was both heartfelt and hilarious. It touches on everything from race to marriage and everything in between. I laughed out loud several times and was moved overall. I would definitely recommend this book to friends and I look forward to reading more of this author’s work in the future.
Is the author secretly psychic and has been reading my mind? There were so many times in this essay collection that I felt deja vu, because I felt like I was the only one who thought about my body or had a certain experience. ⁣
Mia Mercado’s hilarious essay collection touches on body image, race, dating, married life, misogyny, being a teenager during the birth of the internet, and some girls’s secret affinity for all things Bath and Body Works and Target. I laughed several times while reading, particularly her essay recounting a trip to Target in a sexual innuendo, and the chapter from her dog’s point of view. I felt like I was having a conversation with a good friend, that’s how smooth the prose was. It was refreshing to read a book written from a woman who isn’t afraid to talk about the “ugly/taboo” sides of being a woman: body hair, periods, and poop. She also addresses some valuable information about race and racism and how we can all do and be better.
I really enjoyed this compilation of essay/memoirs! I laughed out loud (a rare occurrence from books), It was very relatable as a fellow midwestern gal.
Hilarious and yet heart-felt, Weird but Normal is a rollicking good time about what it means to be human - all the good, bad, weird, and the in-between. Mia Mercado has an amazing confessional writing voice that makes reading this book feel like sitting on the back porch with wine and your best friend. Covering a wide range of topics such a racism, modern dating mishaps, misogyny, and the last time you pooped your pants. Mercado is definitely an author to watch!

Thank you to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest opinion.
I really liked this book. It had me snickering and giggling like a teenager at some of the weirds mentioned. I'll definitely be recommending this and purchasing for the library. Thank you!